Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

A thing that disturbs me in my sleep; Rollo says in "King's Ransom" that the Anglo-Saxon steel is better than theirs. This is nonsense. Viking swords were actually the best of the period. Their only rivals in effectiveness was Damascus Steel.

Wow, such Ragnar hate much unexpected.

I think he's a great character. Sure, he's a dick but he's also a visionary. And how can anyone not like the scene from episode 1 of season 2 where he talks to his deceased daughter? Right in the feels that one :(

I don't care. I want a huge city to get sacked. You do too!

Not true about everyone.

I dislike witnessing even in fiction sacking, pillaging and all the rest that goes with wanton destruction. Such waste offends my Good Management sensibilities. The consequences are terrible.

It's there in fiction and history, but not always. It's the commanders who -- for whatever reason, whether or not humanitarian -- were able to hold their forces in check I admire.

I think he's a great character. Sure, he's a dick but he's also a visionary. And how can anyone not like the scene from episode 1 of season 2 where he talks to his deceased daughter? Right in the feels that one :(

:agree:

What I want to know -- are there any other places discussing Vikings? Nobody seems to review or recap it even. Not that I go that many places because of so much to get done all the time, so I am probably blowing smoke. But I do want at least another season of Vikings, I like it so much! Preferably 4 seasons!

What I want to know -- are there any other places discussing Vikings? Nobody seems to review or recap it even. Not that I go that many places because of so much to get done all the time, so I am probably blowing smoke. But I do want at least another season of Vikings, I like it so much! Preferably 4 seasons!

AV club does a recap http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/vikings-invasion-201884

Yay! Thank you! Not that I necessarily agree with all the points the reviewer makes, but that doesn't matter. It is possible for people to like the same thing for different reasons. :)

:agree: I think that the AV Club reviewer whines a bit excessively over Aslaug and the Viking accent, but it's still nice to read :)

:agree: I think that the AV Club reviewer whines a bit excessively over Aslaug and the Viking accent, but it's still nice to read :)

Also -- BIG POINTS for managing to wedge in Homicide's Pembeleton, and so appropriately:

"As good as Andre Braugher’s Frank Pembleton was at getting confessions, I bet his success rate in the interrogation room would be even better if he got to hold the dripping severed head of the suspect’s accomplice while he did it."

Also -- BIG POINTS for managing to wedge in Homicide's Pembeleton, and so appropriately:

"As good as Andre Braugher’s Frank Pembleton was at getting confessions, I bet his success rate in the interrogation room would be even better if he got to hold the dripping severed head of the suspect’s accomplice while he did it."

I have to admit that I did not get that reference :blushing:

Him leaving Lagertha for that thing rustled a lot of jimmies.

I have to admit that I did not get that reference :blushing:

Homicide is brilliant television -- it taught David Simon how to do it, and you see it in nearly every episode of The Wire. Pembleton was a great character from the start, but he changed, plausibly, over the seasons, and, plausibly, surprised the viewer. As did most of the other characters. Hard to keep this going at that level for 7 seasons, but Homicide did it. This included Pembleton, the writers and the actor, knowing when it was time for Pembleton to exit too. Now that's really special!

It would be great if Vikings knows how to do this with Ragnar. It's so hard to do, so very hard, when you can write only one season at a time, not knowing if there is going to be another one. That's one of the reasons I so admire good writing for television -- it's got to be the most difficult creative writing there is.

regarding the proposed "arrangement", I wonder how frequent that was in Viking times? I mean they boast of more gender equality than other cultures of their times, and then the show presents us with such a backwards idea. I wonder if it was just a gimmick?

Vikinganswerlady

"Sturlunga saga indicates that "almost universally, men indulged in extramarital affairs with numbers of women before, during, and after marriage" (Jenny M. Jochens, "The Church and Sexuality in Medieval Iceland," Journal of Medieval History. 6 [1980]: pp.383-384). Female slaves were fair game, and a man could purchase a slave woman valued up to twelve ore (the value of 489 yards of homespun cloth) to have as a bed-slave (Grethe Jacobsen, "The Position of Women in Scandinavia During the Viking Period," thesis, University of Wisconsin, 1978, p. 76). Concubines were customary, as Adam of Bremen scornfully reports:

"Only in their sexual relations with women do they know no limits.

According to his means a man has two or three or more wives at the same time."

Concubines were always women of the lowest social class, and entering into concubinage with a man of higher social status seems to have been quite advantageous for these women. The concubine was never eligible to become her lover's wife due to this difference in social class, and thus was tolerated by the man's wife, since a concubine could be no threat to the wife's position).(Ruth M. Karras, "Concubinage and Slavery in the Viking Age," Scandinavian Studies. 62 [1990]: pp. 141-162."

Btw people tend to confuse female empowerment with gender equality. Norse women had a comperatively strong position in their society but the society itself had sharply different rules and expectation on men and women.

IGN reviews Vikings as well.

^Yarr, concubines. Technically not wives. /shrug

Especially when said city is French.

*points* YES!

Thanks flo! It's pretty clear Ragnar was arrogant. I prefer Floki anyway. He's insane, but fun!

Floki is love. Floki is life. Floki is everything. FLOKI! Seriously, im a massive fan of Floki's for a variety of reasons. Hes adorable, exceedingly intelligent, and does shit like this. And hes a major softie. He reminds me of the god Loki, but all of the positive aspects and really none of the negative. (Rollo has some of the negative....)

A thing that disturbs me in my sleep; Rollo says in "King's Ransom" that the Anglo-Saxon steel is better than theirs. This is nonsense. Viking swords were actually the best of the period. Their only rivals in effectiveness was Damascus Steel.

Oh yer like me. The episode Sacrifice, while awesome, got my goat cuz UPPSALA DONT LOOK LIKE DAT! AHHHH!

It gets harder and harder to root for Ragnar after a certain point. I think its the Aslaug incident that really made it tough. That and Ragnar trying to manipulate Athelstan in becoming a sacrifice. But i can still root for him (sorta) because hes just got a point. Ya know? (Im more of a Bjorn gal myself. I cant wait for that sweet sweet conflict!)

Him leaving Lagertha for that thing rustled a lot of jimmies.

Yes. It really did. Because Lagertha was such a strong character and people really rooted for her. Lagertha was shown taking part in a battle. She was shown caring for her children and husband. She was seen doing mundane things like being on her loom or taking offerings, etc. She was shown being Jarl in Ragnar's stead more or less, and battling the plague and all of that. Developing her so much and showing how strong she was, seeing Ragnar go after Aslaug pissed people off so goddamn much. It doesnt help that Aslaug is not well developed.

I don't know if it's Ragnar hate as much as Travis Fimmel "smarmy" because Vikings didn't do "smarmy."

And not to even pick on Fimmel, but he just seems he'd be better fit in "Sons of Anarchy" (and granted, there isn't much difference in the look), as a more modern character.

After I spoiled myself and got caught up in the legends, I knew which way it was going to go, so Ragnars behavior didn't surprise me. I just think if the actor came across more ruthless, even in his approach to Lagertha and Aslaug it would have been more realistic.

But what made his advancing the idea of polygamy to Lagertha so funny (besides her own contained rage), was that Ragnar came across more like a creeper who should have been wearing trench coat :leer: than a force to be reckoned with.

I don't know if it's Ragnar hate as much as Travis Fimmel "smarmy" because Vikings didn't do "smarmy."

And not to even pick on Fimmel, but he just seems he'd be better fit in "Sons of Anarchy" (and granted, there isn't much difference in the look), as a more modern character.

After I spoiled myself and got caught up in the legends, I knew which way it was going to go, so Ragnars behavior didn't surprise me. I just think if the actor came across more ruthless, even in his approach to Lagertha and Aslaug it would have been more realistic.

But what made his advancing the idea of polygamy to Lagertha so funny (besides her own contained rage), was that Ragnar came across more like a creeper who should have been wearing trench coat :leer: than a force to be reckoned with.

Dis post made me crack up so much.

Yeah i do have to admit that Ragnar's....smarmyness is very unusual for a Norseman. Floki is as "smarmy" as a viking could get and manages to be much less smarmy than Ragnar. I mean just look at this cheeky fucker!

Vikings were actually rather jolly at times, but hes just....less Jack Sparrow please.

Archived