Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Dis post made me crack up so much.

Yeah i do have to admit that Ragnar's....smarmyness is very unusual for a Norseman. Floki is as "smarmy" as a viking could get and manages to be much less smarmy than Ragnar. I mean just look at this cheeky fucker!

Vikings were actually rather jolly at times, but hes just....less Jack Sparrow please.

:laugh:

True, but most of the time, they were ate up with angst.

I mean Fimmel has let himself go in a big way to not look like this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=travis+fimmel&id=0A223F1A96BD80976CCD5D06113FD6AAB287CDF9&FORM=IQFRBA

He just needs to sound more like a beserker than a surfer.

:laugh:

True, but most of the time, they were ate up with angst.

I mean Fimmel has let himself go in a big way to not look like this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=travis+fimmel&id=0A223F1A96BD80976CCD5D06113FD6AAB287CDF9&FORM=IQFRBA

He just needs to sound more like a beserker than a surfer.

Angst? More like battle lust. :P They thirst to squish things.

Omg. That makes the undercut hes sporting in the show ALL THE MORE AWFUL! D:< He looks so derp with that...

I think the smarmyness fits Ragnar well. After all he does have a reason to be that way. He was the only one that truly believed in going west, he's become a Jarl, became friends with a King, etc.

I'd probably start acting smarmy as well after that set off achievements.

Norsemen were not berserkers -- not all were even berserkers, or even raiders all the time.

Judging by their descendents (my family and the world I grew up in) they had a sense of humor and the comic, loved their families, suffered from various other passions besides that to kill and maim, had a deep sense of spirituality, created splendid crafted articles of great variety with their own hands, farmed and had good friends, with whom they played jokes -- and with whose wives they committed adultery, whose daughters they impregnated without first marrying, betrayed in land deals, and generally caused as much havoc as any community any time anywhere.

Norsemen were not berserkers -- not all were even berserkers, or even raiders all the time.

Judging by their descendents (my family and the world I grew up in) they had a sense of humor and the comic, loved their families, suffered from various other passions besides that to kill and maim, had a deep sense of spirituality, created splendid crafted articles of great variety with their own hands, farmed and had good friends, with whom they played jokes -- and with whose wives they committed adultery, whose daughters they impregnated without first marrying, betrayed in land deals, and generally caused as much havoc as any community any time anywhere.

Umm not sure about everyone else, but im most certainly aware of that. Berserkers were actually a minority among Norse warriors. They were often thought to be the first chosen to become Einherjar because of their untamed wildness in battle. (and they were often the first to die in battle.)

I think the smarmyness fits Ragnar well. After all he does have a reason to be that way. He was the only one that truly believed in going west, he's become a Jarl, became friends with a King, etc.

Yeah after a certain point, the smarmyness is actually justified. But hes pretty smarmy from the get-go.

Ragnar is not smarmy. He just can see the humor in things. When he dies, he'll jump into a pit and cry "How the little pigs would grunt if they could see how the old boar suffers". That sense of humor is pervasive in someone.

It's charisma or smarmy, depends on your Ginger point of view.

I don't imagine to know what the legendary character was like, but my point was that I felt like Fimmel was portraying him more like a modern character as in "How I met your Mother" smarmy.

As far as men go during that time period, they all seemed pretty proud of themselves.

I do agree on your later post in that at least they seem to see more value in safety in numbers as opposed to the crew in Walkind Dead.

Ragnar is not smarmy. He just can see the humor in things. When he dies, he'll jump into a pit and cry "How the little pigs would grunt if they could see how the old boar suffers". That sense of humor is pervasive in someone.

It's charisma or smarmy, depends on your Ginger point of view.

"depend upon my Ginger point of view?"

Not sure I understand what you mean.

I know that as well, they were skilled carpenters, and were like any other Human culture with human feelings of laughter, and love, and I was using a figure of speech, but they were not known for their love of poetry though they wrote that too, at least thats not what the cultures they raided thought of first when these guys came calling.

but they were not known for their love of poetry though they wrote that too

Ahem. The Norse often viewed poetry as the manliest fucking thing on the planet. To recite poetry is to show you are well versed in the gods and wise of the world.

at least thats not what the cultures they raided thought of first when these guys came calling.

Unfortunately, this where most of our sources for them came from. The losing side. So theres a bunch of SLANDEROUS LIES in a lot of Norse documentation. Finding out which isnt bullshit is the "fun" part. The Norse didnt record a lot of stuff themselves despite having a written language (Futhark/Runes) and the shit that was written down was either destroyed or lost.

I think that person is attempting to take a pot shot at your possible Anglo Saxon-ness. :P Missed the mark, i must say, quite. *adjusts monocle*

I think Fimmel took "be charismatic" a little too far in the beginning. Hes funny and hes supposed to be, but there are far too many times you wanna sock him in the dick. What helps though, is that Ragnar's compatriots seem to also share the desire to punt him in the junk on occasion.

You don't make much sense, from the perspective of over here, But never mind. You like it for what you like for, and I like it for whole other reasons. And I like how the actor is protraying Ragnar.

Do not know when I shall return to these fascinating matters, as start a long itinerary within hours. So it won't petulance or whatever if not participating, it's plain old absence. :)

In the meantime -- drink the mead and the ale, and the wines if you get hold of some, you Vikings you! :cheers:

Ahem. The Norse often viewed poetry as the manliest fucking thing on the planet. To recite poetry is to show you are well versed in the gods and wise of the world.

Unfortunately, this where most of our sources for them came from. The losing side. So theres a bunch of SLANDEROUS LIES in a lot of Norse documentation. Finding out which isnt bullshit is the "fun" part. The Norse didnt record a lot of stuff themselves despite having a written language (Futhark/Runes) and the shit that was written down was either destroyed or lost.

I think that person is attempting to take a pot shot at your possible Anglo Saxon-ness. :P Missed the mark, i must say, quite. *adjusts monocle*

I think Fimmel took "be charismatic" a little too far in the beginning. Hes funny and hes supposed to be, but there are far too many times you wanna sock him in the dick. What helps though, is that Ragnar's compatriots seem to also share the desire to punt him in the junk on occasion.

The same in the schools of the Irish bards. :thumbsup:

Poetry and history is all.

As for my "gingerness," it's more like Scotch-Irish, Welsh, and Shawnee. :D

And in terms of the show, it's all about the delivery, not the character.

And as always, thanks for being a good sport, because these forums are starting to get nasty. :worried:

You don't make much sense, from the perspective of over here, But never mind. You like it for what you like for, and I like it for whole other reasons. And I like how the actor is protraying Ragnar.

Do not know when I shall return to these fascinating matters, as start a long itinerary within hours. So it won't petulance or whatever if not participating, it's plain old absence. :)

In the meantime -- drink the mead and the ale, and the wines if you get hold of some, you Vikings you! :cheers:

Thats okay, I don't think everyone will agree on everything. :P

And I do hope you make it back soon, because your insights are helpful, but will I definitely have a drink and raise a toast to learning new things about history. :cheers:

"depend upon my Ginger point of view?"

Ginger is a character from True Detective. Maple only showed up to the board starting with the TD threads, and was inducted into the Ginger-cult after some resistance. Now he is spreading the word of Ginger to the rest of the board.

Ginger is a character from True Detective. Maple only showed up to the board starting with the TD threads, and was inducted into the Ginger-cult after some resistance. Now he is spreading the word of Ginger to the rest of the board.

Oh no, lol.

I AM a redhead, and was wondering....,

Anyway, its clear I am GOING to have to have to get caught up on TD, before the next season. :)

Oh no, lol.

I AM a redhead, and was wondering....,

Anyway, its clear I am GOING to have to have to get caught up on TD, before the next season. :)

It's an anthology series, so there is no pressure ;)

That being said TD is awesome :D I'm currently at episode 4 and it's great.

Now i'm just wondering who's cult is bigger Ginger's or T-Dog's at its prime

It's an anthology series, so there is no pressure ;)

That being said TD is awesome :D I'm currently at episode 4 and it's great.

Thanks, I stopped at E2, and just didn't have a chance to get back to it, so it will give me something after WD.

Now i'm just wondering who's cult is bigger Ginger's or T-Dog's at its prime

There will never be another like T-Dawg. B)

The same in the schools of the Irish bards. :thumbsup:

Poetry and history is all.

As for my "gingerness," it's more like Scotch-Irish, Welsh, and Shawnee. :D

And in terms of the show, it's all about the delivery, not the character.

And as always, thanks for being a good sport, because these forums are starting to get nasty. :worried:

Thats okay, I don't think everyone will agree on everything. :P

And I do hope you make it back soon, because your insights are helpful, but will I definitely have a drink and raise a toast to learning new things about history. :cheers:

Im one of those who likes to stir the pot anyway. It wouldnt be fair not to be a good sport. :cheers: *downs a horn full of mead*

Oooooh....I still havent watched that.

Archived