Indira Varma Joins Game of Thrones

Westeros

This is a pleasant surprise—on old fan casting of ours has come true, as James Hibberd over at EW reports that Indira Varma will be joining Game of Thrones as Ellaria Sand, the paramour of Prince Oberyn Martell.

She’s an HBO veteran, having been in Rome, and has a great deal of experience besides in television series such as Luther and Hunted.

Visit the Site!

Great news, now to get Ray Stevenson as Victarian, Polly Walker as The Green Grace, Ian McNeice as Manderly, Kenneth Cranham as Areo Hatah and David Bamber as Donal Noye!

Never considered her for that part, I was assuming they would go older. It would be pretty epic to see Atia scheming against Dany though :D

Great news! As good as it can get for Ellaria's casting. I wonder if they will give her a larger role than the relatively small one she had in the books? There could be some invented one on one conversations between her and Oberyn to give us some more backstory on Dorne for the show.

Great news, now to get Ray Stevenson as Victarian, Polly Walker as The Green Grace, Ian McNeice as Manderly, Kenneth Cranham as Areo Hatah and David Bamber as Donal Noye!

For some reason I actually pictured Polly Walker in my head when reading Barbary Dustins scenes with Theon.

Not sure if they will even keep that character in the show.

Ever since I watched Rome, I had hoped that Indira Varma was cast as Ellaria, so I'm really happy with this casting. It's also a logical choice, considering that she's had history with HBO and Nina Gold, and has done nude scenes in the past(we can pretty much guarantee a sex scene between Oberyn and Ellaria...let's hope the show doesn't make them into perpetually horny, oversexed bunnies). Also nice to see another Indian(part-Indian, anyway) actress on the show.

Although, I must say, I'm a bit amused that some of the people who were outraged by the casting of a Hispanic actor for a Dornishman, are now delighted by the casting of a partly-Scandinavian actress for a Dornishwoman. (For the record, I was on board with Pascal's casting as well).

And since this will probably turn into a discussion about the ethnic makeup of the Dornish, it's necessary that GRRM's own views on the appearances of Dornishmen be posted on this thread:

As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I've always pictured the "salty Dornish" as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin. Pedro Pascal is Chilean. (Check out Amok's version of the Red Viper, that's how I saw him. Or Magali Villenueve's beautiful and sexy portrait of Princess Arianne).

Now if they can make both Ellaria and Oberyn have the same accent in the show I will be really impressed. Until now, they've been very relaxed when it came to accents, they let their English actors chose almost whatever they wanted. I don't think they can have the same with Dorne. You can't have an Oberyn with a latino accent (I doubt this would be the case, Pedro Pascal was educated in New York) and an Ellaria with a British accent. It just wouldn't be right. The Dornish look different, but they have the same culture, it would be nice if all of them spoke the same. (wishful thinking??)

Ran, I was rereading your fist post about Indira Varma, I think Barbara Mori would be an incredible Arianne :)

This is a pleasant surprise—on old fan casting of ours has come true, as James Hibberd over at EW reports that Indira Varma will be joining Game of Thrones as Ellaria Sand, the paramour of Prince Oberyn Martell.

She’s an HBO veteran, having been in Rome, and has a great deal of experience besides in television series such as Luther and Hunted.

Visit the Site!

Looks like they listen to fans! :P she is pretty!

Archived