GRRM Provides a Casting Clue

Westeros

Seven Hells. I have a lot of things going on in my head about this guy's appearance (I know nothing of his acting), but I'll just simplify with that is not how I pictured Mace Tyrell. But Natalie Dormer isn't how I pictured Margaery, nor is Liam how I pictured Davos, but they're both marvelous.. So we'll see.

I think Gleeson would look the part but his attitude could better used in another role. Heck, he's 10 years younger than Patrick Malahide (surprised by that), so what about a role like Victarion? It'd have to be a fairly big role to attract his attention though.

Nah, you need someone who could realistically look like they are a bad ass in battles. That is not Gleeson anymore.

Nah, you need someone who could realistically look like they are a bad ass in battles. That is not Gleeson anymore.

Possibly not. However, he didn't really look like a badass in Troy (he was certainly quite portly then), yet when he fought Orlando Bloom you didn't doubt for a second he was going to hand Bloom's arse to him. The attitude and the intensity go a long way.

This guy looks nothing like Mace Tyrell at all!

He looks exactly like TV Mace Tyrell.

He doesn't look like Book Mace Tyrell, but as the TV show is a separate canon and continuity, that is of no consequence. It is nice when they get an actor who looks like how it's described in the books, but it is certainly not essential.

Is he a good actor? Yes. Will he be good in this role? Yes. Nothing more is needed.

Possibly not. However, he didn't really look like a badass in Troy (he was certainly quite portly then), yet when he fought Orlando Bloom you didn't doubt for a second he was going to hand Bloom's arse to him. The attitude and the intensity go a long way.

Exactly, because he fought Orlando Bloom haha. If he fought Eric Bana I don't think you would be saying that.

Also, came out almost 10 years ago.

Archived