let's talk about the dangerous white culture

Sad King Billy

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/52626752#52626752

A very special "All In" investigation looks at the dangerous elements in White Culture, as seen on display during the Huntington Beach surfing riots this week. Chris Hayes talks to Cord Jefferson of Gawker to find out what can be done about this menace to society.

When

when will white moderates condemn dangerous white culture?

I saw the Gawker piece last week.

It was sort of amusing, but felt a little forced.

Not sure how many minds it will change.

Well, what is the underlying point he's trying to make with that satire?

ETA: Ack -- I thought you were talking about whatever point Hayes was trying to make. Haven't seen the gawker thing.

Well, what is the underlying point he's trying to make with that satire?

eta: Just saw your edit, not sure if my response applies.

My guesses:

That various pieces written about African-Americans are grounded at least partially in racism, even when the pieces are presented as trying to help.

That people make assumptions about African-American culture based on isolated media reports of violence.

That people use this assumed culture as an excuse to ignore other factors that lead to violence.

I think there's a point to the Gawker article. A bunch of privileged white kids riot and its just kids being kids or a few bad apples in an overall good crowd.

If a group of black kids did the same exact thing, it would have meant the very fabric of society is breaking down and we need to do something about the black menace before you become a victim to their degenerate ways.

That people make assumptions about African-American culture based on isolated media reports of violence.

I personally think that's the crux of the point he was making. "See, I can get film of white kids causing problems too". Which of course is something I don't think anyone would deny. There are white kids who do shitty things too.

The touchy question is whether there is a worse problem among certain elements in the black community. I kind of got the sense that Hayes was saying there really isn't, and that folks who point out that there is a racial component are just, well, racists.

I understand the point being made, to think about the slant used when you see news reports about violence, but they could have used some better examples. They used the statistic that 84% of white murder victims were murdered by whites. But the equivalent figure is 94% of blacks are murdered by blacks, not a helpful comparison. I was actually surprised that the figure for white murders was that low, I would have expected it to be up at 90% as well. Instead they could have shown how many drug users are white (like the majority of cocaine users). So I'm not sure how successful that piece was.

The touchy question is whether there is a worse problem among certain elements in the black community. I kind of got the sense that Hayes was saying there really isn't, and that folks who point out that there is a racial component are just, well, racists.

I think it does become difficult to discuss these kinds of things as you have numerous factors going in. I think the term "black culture" just comes across as over generalzing, at least when trying to describe the US's black communities.

There may be cultural factors that disproportionately affect African Americans in certain communities, but is there any factor that not only exclusively affects African Americans but also transcends economic class?

Archived