Stoneborn of Skagos

• photo-thumb-2981.jpg?_r=1393856545
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

From Orbit catalog:

Miles Cameron

the first book in the series, published in 2013, sold nearly 20,000 copies (print and ebook) in its first year.

David Dalglish update

Dalglish's self-published Shadowdance series sold nearly half a million copies worldwide. Orbit has grossed approximately 100,000 copies since publication.

Lilith Saintcrow

Lilith Saintcrow's series have sold over 675,000 copies. She is one of Orbit's top five authors in gross dollars.

Gail Carriger update

The Parasol Protectorate series has sold more than half a million copies!

https://www.hachette...dhookFW1516.pdf

#324 icon_share.png Mark Lawrence

Landed Knight

• img-jc_the_prince_of_thorns.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

This: http://www.hollywood...asy-book-828557

says you need to upgrade Rothfuss from 2 million plus to 10 million plus.

#325 icon_share.png Jussi

Stoneborn of Skagos

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

From the new Orbit US catalog:

Glenda Larke update

The Stormlord trilogy has sold more than 135,000 copies to date.

Elliott James

The Pax Arcana series has sold over 50,000 copies to date.

Mira Grant

The Newsflesh series has sold more than 300,000 and continues to sell

http://images.abovet....15.15) red.pdf

From the Orbit UK catalogue:

M. R. Carey

The Girl With All the Gifts has sold over 200,000 copies

https://www.littlebr...talogue2016.pdf

#326 icon_share.png Swordofmorning

Council Member

• photo-thumb-118310.jpg?_r=1444716080
  • Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

The updated 2015 list The Updated SFF All Time Sales List

Edit - I think OP should be edited with the new list

Edited by Swordofmorning, 23 October 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#327 icon_share.png Jussi

Stoneborn of Skagos

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

Kazuo Ishiguro

Both The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go have sold more than one million copies

Sarah J. Maas

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series

#328 icon_share.png Jussi

Stoneborn of Skagos

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

Peter V. Brett update

Peter V. Brett is the New York Times bestselling author of the Demon Cycle series, which has sold more than a million copies in 24 languages worldwide.

Ann Leckie update

Published late last year, the novel has already raked in numerous awards, sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and been translated into 10 languages.

Kameron Hurley update (September 2015)

It [God's War] has since gone on to sell over 20,000

MIRROR EMPIRE did even better, with a $7,000 advance and sales in excess of 13,000 copies already. It’s in its second printing and now has a mass market version as well.

RAPTURE sold just 2,000 copies its first two years out the gate (it’s selling more now – MIRROR EMPIRE’s success is driving people to pick up my backlist.

#329 icon_share.png RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• 7070c232de75da850b388637cb8c0da9?s=100&d
  • Members
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

Jussi, on 27 Oct 2015 - 7:01 PM, said:snapback.png

Kameron Hurley update (September 2015)

foreign rights would have helped, too, but Ive never been paid for the UK version of this series

Wow, that's some bullshit right there.

Thanks, Maia!

This article was published in 2003:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/28/1046407753904.html

Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy has sold 100,000 copies locally, and Cecilia Dart-Thornton's success earned her an interview on the ABC's 7.30 Report (and presumably made her the first Australian fantasy writer to front Kerry O'Brien). The first two books in her Bitterbynde trilogy have sold more than 100,000 in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CryptofCthulhu said:

I'd love to know how many copies of LOTR were sold after Tolkien passed away.

As well as how many copies of ASOIAF books were purchased after GOT aired on HBO.

I think in 2011 (before the Dance of Dragons) and around the same time the TV show was starting, it had sold 'only' around 12m copies, while in April 2015, it was reported that it had sold 60m copies. I expect that it will reach 100m by the time it is finished.

Like the show or not (I don't like it anymore), it had made the series far more popular than it was. If it wasn't for the show, likely it wouldn't have reach even 20m.

1 hour ago, TheRevanchist said:

I think in 2011 (before the Dance of Dragons) and around the same time the TV show was starting, it had sold 'only' around 12m copies, while in April 2015, it was reported that it had sold 60m copies. I expect that it will reach 100m by the time it is finished.

Like the show or not (I don't like it anymore), it had made the series far more popular than it was. If it wasn't for the show, likely it wouldn't have reach even 20m.

I have a bumper sticker that says "Guns don't kill people, George R.R. Martin kills people," and my employee asked me who that was.  I asked if he watches Game of Thrones and he said he loves the show.  I should have fired him.

I'd love to know how many copies of LOTR were sold after Tolkien passed away.

As well as how many copies of ASOIAF books were purchased after GOT aired on HBO.

The vast majority of sales would have been after Tolkien's death. LOTR's sales were decent, but nothing special, up to 1966, when the unauthorised paperback came out in the USA. Once, Tolkien's publisher produced a paperback version, sales took off. My guess is that by 1972, sales were somewhere in the low millions. So, probably 95-98% of sales of LOTR took place after his death.

12 hours ago, Muwhahaha said:

I have a bumper sticker that says "Guns don't kill people, George R.R. Martin kills people," and my employee asked me who that was.  I asked if he watches Game of Thrones and he said he loves the show.  I should have fired him.

Sure, there are tossers, but really the numbers speak for itself. Around 12m copies on 15 years, compared with 50m copies in 4 years.

I think that the show has been very good not only for the series of books, but also for the entire fantasy genre in general. I started reading ASOIAF after the first season of the show, and then never looked back reading a lot of fantasy books from other authors. There are a lot of people who did the same.

I read the books in 2011 before I even knew the show existed. But I wouldn't have known about the books if I hadn't been told about them by a cousin of mine who had started reading them after he saw Season 1 of the show. So in a roundabout way I read them because of the show.

• 2 months later...

Andy Weir update

Andy Weir’s The Martian sold more than 900,000 copies in print, in two different versions, and it certainly had to have moved enough ebooks to push past the million threshold.

Ernest Cline update

the novel received rave reviews across the board, sold over a million copies in the U.S., and has been published in 40 countries.

James Dashner update

The Maze Runner series has sold more than 12 million copies to date.

Veronica Roth update

Sales for the series have remained robust since the publication of Divergent in 2011, with more than 35 million copies sold.

Charlaine Harris update

Harris' books have sold more than 37 million copies worldwide.

Brandon Sanderson (solo books) update

We are thrilled to announce that Brandon Sanderson has officially sold over 7 million copies worldwide!

Victoria Aveyard

I’m actually not sure of the exact number. But based on royalties, I’d say yes, we’ve sold over a million books by now.

Ann Leckie update

More than 300,000 copies of the series in print

Rick Riordan update

Rick Riordan has now sold an incredible 55 million copies of his books worldwide

L. E. Modesitt, Jr. update

I’m far from the top-selling fantasy author, but the Saga of Recluce has sold close to three million copies.

Scott Westerfeld update

over 4 million books in print

• 2 weeks later...

Archived