Jon has no resemblance to his father? nothing at all?

Nami

If you think triggering a war, causing the downfall of your house, not even trying to appease the angry rebels, leaving your precious heads in the clutches of your insane father, not sending Lyanna or a reason the minute he realised the Starks were angry, thinking the Starks wouldn't be angry etc. isn't stupid then I don't know what is.

Prophecy or not, Rhaegar stupidly triggered a war and then the idiot didn't even try to appease the angry nobles thus causing the destruction of his house. If he was positive that the prophecy was true you'd think he'd make sure no civil war threatened Rhaenys and Aegon.

You can't compare this stupidity to Jon's; it's no where near on the same level

It was Aerys who triggered the war. Rhaegar's actions caused trouble, but it could've been dealt with peacefully if not for Aerys' overreaction.

A boy I went to high school with was shorter than me (5'7") and very lean. He graduated that way at 18/19 years of age. A couple years after that I visited my hometown and happened to run in to him and he had rocketed to over 6'. He filled out as well. I find it hard to categorize Jon as being short when he is far from full grown and when my own personal experiences have taught me that people can change quite drastically with growth spurts.

I would say physically you're right. But internal traits I think there is a lot of Rhaegar (assuming he is his father). They're aloof, introverted. Didn't Cersei describe Rhaegar as courteous, introverted, distant and mysterious? And someone else (who is escaping me at the moment) described Rhaegar as being a very self reflective and analytic man.

I'd say those type of descriptions if not exact at least put you on the right track for Jon's personality.

And if he turns out not to be his father? I still think they are similar internally (and perhaps that too is intentional).

Bran I: A Game of Thrones

"No," Jon Snow said quietly. "It was not courage. This one was dead of fear. You could see it in his eyes, Stark." Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

Slender, graceful and quick.

Not sure if that is a resemblance to Rhaegar or not.

i also found it strange he doesn't have one targ feature, but hey they say rhaenys didn't either so it is possible he just got everything looks wise from his mother.

The problem is we don't have a picture of Rhaegar to compare him to. Maybe he has Rhaegar's ears or nose or feet. The only people who might notice those features would be someone who knew that Rhaegar was Jon's bio-father. Otherwise, any non-Nedlike physical traits, would be attributed to his unknown mother.

Jon does have dark eyes like Rhaegar, although not lilac as Rhaegar's are described.

One interesting parallel, Rhaegar was "born in grief" and it was said to have affected his mood causing melacholy. Jon was also born in grief in the sense that tragedy was connected to both of his parents as well as his grandfathers, uncle and half-brother and half-sister. Both Rhaegar and Jon are introverted and melancholy - or "emo" as it's called these days, and both had a sense of honor and both appeared to breach that honor with a woman, although the situations were more complicated than what appeared, i.e., both have "stolen" a woman.

Jon seems to be desirable to women despite being just a teenager, and Rhaegar was basically a rockstar in his time with a long list of female (and male) admirers. Both seemed to convey an innate sense of power that impresses people.

I agree about temperament.

Jon is like Baelor the Blessed. Someone who Rhaegar was compared to.

You mean Baelor Breakspear. ;)

Bran I: A Game of Thrones

Slender, graceful and quick.

Not sure if that is a resemblance to Rhaegar or not.

Sounds right. Rhaegar wasnt exactly bulky.

'Florina Stark' wrote:

Umm..he may not look like Rhaegar but damn the Seven if i dont get the impression that Jon is basically how Rhaegar acted (without the Targ royalness).

How does Rhaegar come off to people? Standoffish but not exactly a douchecanoe. Melancholy, "eyes full of pain", brooding sort. Kept to himself, only a very small handful of people knew Rhaegar really really well. (like Ser Arthur. Sam is Jon's Ser Arthur! :D) He was well liked by many but a mystery as well. But also may have had a temper. GEE THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR! Hrurr

===========================================================================================

I think most of these aspects of Jon's personality are from Stark melancholy and seriousness and, more importantly, Jon's obsession with being a bastard. He's not bookish or artistic like Rheagar, he doesn't have Rhaegar's sense of importance and presence. Granted, Jon is young and may well develop to be more like Rhaegar later, but I think he's much more of a Stark via one parent (Ned or Lyanna) and upbringing (Ned, who was intent on inculcating his family with practical knowledge and wisdom).

Absolutely. I always took it that the Targaryens had recessive traits in general. That would partially explain why they felt it was necessary to imbreed. I know that it was about preserving royal blood, but those types of traditions typically have roots in practical things that are eventually forgotten.

This is what I was thinking. The novels constantly mention Targaryens of mixed parentage usually having the physical traits of the other parent. Mainly it's hair and eye color, but height and body type could be another aspect of that. That's why the silver hair is such tell tale, which is why, for example, Young Griff had to dye his hair (Blackfyre theory or no) and Egg had to cut his hair bald.

The same way Arya is referred to as looking like Lyanna (and Jon to Arya), more so than her father.

Off-topic, but ... as someone who in general freaking hates the Targs, I'm sorry that guy never became king.

Well i love me some Targ, but yeah. I feel the same about Maester Aemon.

e's not bookish or artistic like Rheagar, he doesn't have Rhaegar's sense of importance and presence.

Jon doesnt have to be bookish or artistic. We're talking the core of personality here, not Generation Xerox. The point is, Jon doesnt get that innate sense of melancholy from Ned. Jon begins the series as quite the mope. Part of it has to do with the bastard aspect, but if Jon doesnt know that most bastards dont live as nicely as he does, ill eat my hat. Jon has a sense of importance. Its shown right away when he goes to the Night's Watch. He thinks hes good enough right out of the box to become a ranger and gets extremely butthurt when he isnt made one. He has a tantrum about it if you recall.

Later, Jon gets elected Lord Commander and soon starts exhibiting traits of strong leadership and people's admiration. He has Rhaegar's innate core personality traits. But is molded more with Ned imagery.

Well i love me some Targ, but yeah. I feel the same about Maester Aemon.

Jon doesnt have to be bookish or artistic. We're talking the core of personality here, not Generation Xerox. The point is, Jon doesnt get that innate sense of melancholy from Ned. Jon begins the series as quite the mope. Part of it has to do with the bastard aspect, but if Jon doesnt know that most bastards dont live as nicely as he does, ill eat my hat. Jon has a sense of importance. Its shown right away when he goes to the Night's Watch. He thinks hes good enough right out of the box to become a ranger and gets extremely butthurt when he isnt made one. He has a tantrum about it if you recall.

Later, Jon gets elected Lord Commander and soon starts exhibiting traits of strong leadership and people's admiration. He has Rhaegar's innate core personality traits. But is molded more with Ned imagery.

:agree:

This is a really good post.

Florina Stark,

Later, Jon gets elected Lord Commander and soon starts

exhibiting traits of strong leadership and people's admiration. He has Rhaegar's innate core personality traits.

Core or not, personality traits cannot be inherited, they are not innate but acquired. :)

The best we can hope for is lean built, height and temperament. :)

Archived