What Are You Listening To? Version X: Loud and Proud

Alex.

While I started with "Born To Run," of course, my big favorites off Born To Run are "Thunder Road" and "Night." Thunder Road is an amazing One That Got Away song, and who doesn't have at least one of those? And Night is a great song about being young and dating. Both are in the perfect keys for me to sing too, and I sing constantly when I'm in private. (Or in public, under the right circumstances!)

Thunder Road is an absolutely beautiful piece of music. I have seen many people call it his best song, and, although it isn't my #1 favorite by him, it is still perfect and was my favorite for quite a while, so it would be hard to argue with them. Fantastic opening track to the album.

Night is also great. I can't love it as much as I love a grandiose masterpiece like Jungleland, but for what it is -- just a short, happy, upbeat, catchy song -- it is one of the best of its kind. I'm a huge, huge fan of that song despite the fact that it doesn't shine as blatantly as some of the others on the album.

I listened to Backstreets/Born To Run for the first time in a little while today, and it was just awesome. Backstreets in particular is just fantastic.. to me it isn't even a song, it is a full-on experience. I don't just listen to it -- I get immersed in it. It is so epic and penetrates and engages and affects me in a way that very, very few other songs can.. Born To Run is also flawless and grand -- basically, everything I just said but to a bit of a lesser extent, but it is a more upbeat and blatantly ass-kicking song. It's really the definitive Springsteen song through its poetic lyrics about escaping monotony, girls, fast cars, and so on, and I love how he uses "we" in the opening line -- really illustrates the way that he connects with listeners on a personal level so that they feel like his struggles are their own, which is without a doubt what he as an artist is best known for I think Born To Run is my most played song on last.fm (other than some slow electronic stuff without words that has inflated play counts due to being put on repeat all the time) but I could be wrong. Those two and Jungleland would easily be my three favorite songs off of that album (and out of his entire discography [and probably of all time.]) I'd probably rank the tracks Backstreets > Jungleland > Born To Run > Thunder Road = Night (depends on my mood) > Meeting Across The River > She's The One > Tenth Avenue Freeze Out.. but even then the ones in the bottom are great. It is an unbelievably good album. Like, legitimately unbelievable.

Darkness on the edge of town is probably my favorite Springsteen album. I gotta say though Born to Run is an excellent albums so the only reason I can't imagine anyone hating it is just a sound like a hipster.

Agreed for sure with the second sentence. I can get people not viewing it with the awe-inspired reverence I do, but unless you just don't like Springsteen's music in general, I cannot imagine disliking that album.

Darkness is remarkable. Badlands is a killer opening track, I have to be in the right mood for something as aggressive as Adam Raised A Cain but when I am it is awesome, Candy's Room is amazing for how short it is, Racing In The Street is very pretty, The Promised Land is just an incredibly solid track, Factory is a textbook Bruce song with lyrics about everyday struggles set to a fittingly melancholy, slow tune, Streets Of Fire has AMAZING vocals (I don't even know how he makes those sounds), and the titular track is one of my favorites by him. And I don't have anything in particular to say about Prove It All Night or Something In The Night, but they're still both very good.

A big part of Darkness's strength lies in how diverse it is.. more than any other album we've discussed here, it has such a wide variety of songs. I mean you have Adam Raised A Cain, Candy's Room, and Racing In The Street on the same album; that speaks for itself.

And it... isn't by him, which the link you embedded pretty clearly says

You're joking, right?

You've clearly never interacted with Myshkin in a music thread before, or at least not a Springsteen related one.

I will say he has a brilliant theory about the origin of the Rolling Stones.

You've clearly never interacted with Myshkin in a music thread before, or at least not a Springsteen related one.

I will say he has a brilliant theory about the origin of the Rolling Stones.

That's kind of what I thought...but I was worried :lol:

Goblin King, Jack and Diane is a good luck song for my bestie and I since it came out when we were 11.

Even now, into our early 40's, we always let each other know when we hear it.

Please don't besmirch my childhood into adulthood ritual with mention of that New Jersey fellow.

I love Patti Smith and that particular song!

....and I was wondering with which song shall I start this Sunday morning!

Patti Smith is awesome, and Horses is a masterpiece. Let's see Bruce Cougar Springsteen do anything even a tenth as good.

Now spinning Foreverly by Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones, a tribute to the Everly Brothers and a recreation of their Songs Our Daddy Taught Us, which came out this morning. Not my usual fare but enjoying it quite a bit.

Archived