What Are You Listening To? Version X: Loud and Proud

Alex.

listening to this and wishing Neil a happy birthday....and wishing for all of you oldsters like me to stay forever young!

:smoking:

Nice song. Interesting to see the way Jerry worked his way in to the mix. I wonder if he had ever played this song before in concert. Oh and I'm two years older than you rocksniffer, so I appreciate the sentiment.

I have a sincere question about Rush now, jokes aside. For as much as I like to think I know music, they are a band that I've never explored whatsoever. I know Flight by Night, and I remember hating it when I was young, but that's about all I know. What is the ideal starting place?

Probably Moving Pictures. Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, and Limelight are all classics.

I have a sincere question about Rush now, jokes aside. For as much as I like to think I know music, they are a band that I've never explored whatsoever. I know Flight by Night, and I remember hating it when I was young, but that's about all I know. What is the ideal starting place?

Thing about Rush is their sound evolves with virtually every album. You always know it's Rush, but they tweak things here and there such that every album sounds distinct.

I do agree with matt b that the best place to start is probably Moving Pictures, although an argument could also be made for Permanent Waves. If you don't like the stuff on those albums, chances are you won't like any of it.

Fly By Night the album or "Fly By Night" the song? Neither are favorites of mine though the album does have some good stuff on it. Not very indicative of their overall sound though, they were still a step or two away from just being a wannabe Zeppelin band. ;)

Moving Pictures is a pretty good starting point. From that album on they (re)turned to a more straight-forward rock formula albeit one heavily laden with 80's-style synths. Depending on your taste for such things, Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are all great albums, with Grace and Power being my favorites. On Counterparts, they embraced the burgeoning alternative rock and grunge sound at the time and they did it rather well, IMO. 2112 and A Farewell To Kings are my suggestions if you want a taste of bombastic cheese from their 70's progressive powerhouse p...albums. I couldn't think of another p word there.

Listing off a bunch of albums might not be that helpful, but for a band that's been around for almost forty years now, it's a good indication of where to start.

At the age of 24, I have finally become a fan of Bruce Springsteen. No idea why it took so long, but God damn. His "hard life poetry" rivals that of Tom Waits. What a guy.

Springsteen is fucking amazing. Welcome to being right!

I've been on an awful bubblegum pop kick lately. Katy Perry, Marina and the Diamonds, that kind of thing. I hate myself a little for it.

Tonight chilling with Madrugada...

I initially read that is Magrudergrind and was impressed/terrified at your idea of chilling. :lol:

And I see that others have already mentioned which Rush to start with. Agreed with pretty much everyone: Moving Pictures is probably the best place to start. Although frankly it might be worth it to invest in a collection that has most of their well-known songs to see if any resonate, because Rush are actually quite good at writing catchy songs -- those songs just sometimes get lost in all of the overwrought album wankery that is so off-putting to so many people.

Archived