NFL 2013 Week 2 Thread - Go back to college Chip Kelly!

Jaime L

I don't understand. Do QBs besides Brady always have perfectly on-target passes? Some of Brady's passes are off-target. His deep accuracy in particular has never been great. Sometimes the pass is off, and the receiver has to make an adjustment. The better receivers will make an adjustment and make the catch. Part of the reason that Gronk is so valuable is because he can catch a lot of otherwise difficult-to-catch balls. Welker's infamous deep drop in the Super Bowl a couple years ago was illustrative -- the pass was a little long, and Welker had to dive for it. But he managed to get two hands on it, so he should have caught it. A little blame for both sides there. Brady's last desperation heave to Randy Moss in Super Bowl 42 was a little under-thrown. Moss had to slow down for it. Passing accurately is hard. That's why the guys who are really good at it get paid the big bucks.

Jaime's point about Brady's completion rate to Edelman vs. the other receivers was pretty illustrative. A number of Brady's passes to Dobson and Thompkins were good enough to be caught by a replacement level NFL wide receiver, and should have been completions. I'm not sure what other point you're trying to make besides that Brady threw some passes that weren't perfect. Maybe we're homers, but I don't think you're entirely rational about this either.

yes. qbs often have a number of offtarget passes. on the is particular day, the majority of bradys passes were off target.

he played to the level of an average day for freeman, flacco, etc. it was a very subpar day for brady. if rodgers, manning or brees had thrown like that on a given day(and its happened before) i would have noted that they were having a bad day.

he was frustrated and it showed.

yeah a number of the passes should have been caught, but a number of them were also not passes id expect to be caught.

Entrapment? Like you are obligated to fight a 49ers fan that shows up in your stadium?

Right, I forgot we're not talking about a Raiders home game here. But to be fair they did this in the preseason at the Raiders vs Seahawks game, and there wasn't a single arrest. Given that they are Seattle cops, it'd be pretty funny to see a guy in a niners jersey cheering on the Hawks (if he breaks character).

I don't understand. Do QBs besides Brady always have perfectly on-target passes? Some of Brady's passes are off-target. His deep accuracy in particular has never been great. Sometimes the pass is off, and the receiver has to make an adjustment. The better receivers will make an adjustment and make the catch. Part of the reason that Gronk is so valuable is because he can catch a lot of otherwise difficult-to-catch balls. Welker's infamous deep drop in the Super Bowl a couple years ago was illustrative -- the pass was a little long, and Welker had to dive for it. But he managed to get two hands on it, so he should have caught it. A little blame for both sides there. Brady's last desperation heave to Randy Moss in Super Bowl 42 was a little under-thrown. Moss had to slow down for it. Passing accurately is hard. That's why the guys who are really good at it get paid the big bucks.

Jaime's point about Brady's completion rate to Edelman vs. the other receivers was pretty illustrative. A number of Brady's passes to Dobson and Thompkins were good enough to be caught by a replacement level NFL wide receiver, and should have been completions. I'm not sure what other point you're trying to make besides that Brady threw some passes that weren't perfect. Maybe we're homers, but I don't think you're entirely rational about this either.

I think the perception here is that you seem to be removing all blame from Brady. The receivers played pathetically, but Brady also was not playing at a high level. Putting the mind-boggling drops from last night out of your mind for a moment, there's a reason Gronkowski and Welker are paid (in some cases) the way they're paid. Not all of Peyton Manning's passes to Wes Welker were particularly good last week, Wes is just good enough to make the adjustment. Not counting the catch-that-was-a-drop. I think that Pats fans have just been exposed to something pretty weird in the sense that the team went from mediocre receiving corps in 2006 to top-5 receiving corps through 2012 (in multiple facets, no less) to utterly depressingly abysmal receiving corps last night. I think that's evidenced by the way that you just made a point of accuracy being difficult, and it's up to the receiver to make adjustment, but you seem to have completely overlooked who was making those adjustments. Tom Brady is still one of the best 3 QB's in the league, but he's been absurdly fortunate in being able to throw to the open spot and expect his freak receivers make good plays. Just my opinion.

but he's been absurdly fortunate in being able to throw to the open spot and expect his freak receivers make good plays. Just my opinion.

Freak receivers? I'm not a Pat's fan, but other than Moss, I can't think of any "freak" athletes Brady has ever had to throw to. Maybe Gronk now? But who are these "freak receivers" you speak of?

Freak receivers? I'm not a Pat's fan, but other than Moss, I can't think of any "freak" athletes Brady has ever had to throw to. Maybe Gronk now? But who are these "freak receivers" you speak of?

Does "excessively talented" work better?

Looks like Vick Ballard is done for the season.

Goddamnit, Donald!

If you're blaming Donald Brown, I seriously doubt he could pull off such a feat. He can't see a cutback lane, let alone a way to end a teammate's season.

Good news is Ahmad Bradshaw's still on the roster, and that guy never gets hurt.

:lol:

If you're blaming Donald Brown, I seriously doubt he could pull off such a feat. He can't see a cutback lane, let alone a way to end a teammate's season.

More a bit of

, considering that Brown will now be getting work for the Colts.

ETA: LF - Gronk and Hernandez were physical freaks as passcatchers; so was Moss; and Welker's precision was pretty over-the-top compared to what an average NFL team has to work with.

yes. qbs often have a number of offtarget passes. on the is particular day, the majority of bradys passes were off target.

Well, I don't agree that the "majority" were off target, but I guess I'm just a Pats homer who is incapable of judging him accurately while you are the paragon of accuracy and objectivity.

I think the perception here is that you seem to be removing all blame from Brady. The receivers played pathetically, but Brady also was not playing at a high level. Putting the mind-boggling drops from last night out of your mind for a moment, there's a reason Gronkowski and Welker are paid (in some cases) the way they're paid. Not all of Peyton Manning's passes to Wes Welker were particularly good last week, Wes is just good enough to make the adjustment. Not counting the catch-that-was-a-drop. I think that Pats fans have just been exposed to something pretty weird in the sense that the team went from mediocre receiving corps in 2006 to top-5 receiving corps through 2012 (in multiple facets, no less) to utterly depressingly abysmal receiving corps last night. I think that's evidenced by the way that you just made a point of accuracy being difficult, and it's up to the receiver to make adjustment, but you seem to have completely overlooked who was making those adjustments. Tom Brady is still one of the best 3 QB's in the league, but he's been absurdly fortunate in being able to throw to the open spot and expect his freak receivers make good plays. Just my opinion.

Well, the perception is stupid, and most of the stuff you were saying is stuff I already said, so I'm not sure what the problem is, other than Reposado has a bug up his ass that Brady wasn't perfect and wants stupid irrational Pats fans to agree.

Maybe if you gave an example?

Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski. A case could even be made for Brandon Lloyd as well, his reported behavior problems aside, Lloyd is one of the most physically talented WR's to play in the last 10 years. One of those guys set the new single-season record for receiving TD's. Another caught over 500 passes in the last 5 years. Two more were arguably the #1 and #2 guys at their position last year. And you can do so much worse than Brandon Lloyd out wide. Are you disputing my comment, or are you being an ass?

Well, the perception is stupid, and most of the stuff you were saying is stuff I already said, so I'm not sure what the problem is, other than Reposado has a bug up his ass that Brady wasn't perfect and wants stupid irrational Pats fans to agree.

Fair enough, just trying to clarify.

More a bit of

, considering that Brown will now be getting work for the Colts.

That is absolutely hilarious.

I'm trying to figure out if that's the most Peyton Manning thing ever or the fact his snap call is now literally "hurry, hurry!"

That is absolutely hilarious.

I'm trying to figure out if that's the most Peyton Manning thing ever or the fact his snap call is now literally "hurry, hurry!"

At least he's not still pretending that no one has figured out what it means when he shouts "Omaha!' like a certain other Manning.

They talked about that all preseason on local radio. Some people hate it, I just assume Manning is smart enough that he will use it to get a few offsides later in the year. But you reminded me, I need Hurry Hurry as my new text message alert.

Archived