NFL 2013 Week 2 Thread - Go back to college Chip Kelly!

Jaime L

no. he wasnt. i think you're biased here. you're looking at this expecting to see brady throwing well and expecting to see receivers drop balls and you're getting confirmation bias.

he was not hitting them in stride. on many, it wasn't a blatant overthrow. but it was an an overthrow. it wasn't right on the money. all night.

i don't mean absolutely every pass was off. but a lot of them were. a lot. one of dobsons big drops, was one that he should have come down with, but if he had come down with inbounds it would have been amazing.

everyone has a bad game. this was one for brady.

Maybe not perfect throws, maybe a little behind his receivers at times, but these were a few throws I can recall that you absolutely expect an NFL receiver to catch and Dobson and Thomkins just didn't.

Because there's this stat: Brady was 13 for 18 when throwing to Edelman last night, and 6 for 21 throwing to anyone else. Basically he was his normal self throwing to a guy he can trust, and Tim Tebow throwing to guys where he can't completely count on knowing where they will be in their routes.

Because there's this stat: Brady was 13 for 18 when throwing to Edelman last night, and 6 for 21 throwing to anyone else. Basically he was his normal self throwing to a guy he can trust, and Tim Tebow throwing to guys where he can't completely count on knowing where they will be in their routes.

If you were to extrapolate the second part of that out a little and apply it to the first part, it's almost as if you compared Edelman to Jesus...if Tebow were throwing to him that is...

Maybe not perfect throws, maybe a little behind his receivers at times, but these were a few throws I can recall that you absolutely expect an NFL receiver to catch and Dobson and Thomkins just didn't.

true, but also consider that throws to edelman are high percentage anyways. he missed edelman going downfield at least twice that i remember, noting aloud that "brady does not realize how slow edelman is"

there were throws that a receiver could catch and didnt. there were also many throws of the sort that, an nfl receiver could catch but doesnt always. throws that required laying out to catch a ball too far. throws that require slowing down and allowing the defender to get into the picture. they happened

Its what I said upthread:

I didn't notice the Tebow connection either. I guess intentionally avoiding all Tebow-talk has inoculated me from immediately associating "Tebow" with "a quarterback who just wins". I actually thought of Kyle Orton (35-34 career record? I totally thought it was better than that).

I didn't notice the Tebow connection either. I guess intentionally avoiding all Tebow-talk has inoculated me from immediately associating "Tebow" with "a quarterback who just wins". I actually thought of Kyle Orton (35-34 career record? I totally thought it was better than that).

That's ironic because if you listen to Denver Sports Talk Radio (which I assume you do) you'll hear all about how Tebow just wins while with the same players that loser Kyle Orton was only 1-4.

Kyle Orton only exists in this city as the prototype "big stats, but always loses" QB which itself is ironic because I'm pretty sure in Chicago he'll always be remembered as the iconic "no stats, but always wins" prototype.

Can't recall any QB who ever successfully crossed the chasm from being "beloved for the wrong reasons" to "hated for the wrong reasons" but KO managed it. Jaxom is right, the man is a legend of our time.

true, but also consider that throws to edelman are high percentage anyways."

How "high percentage" are throws that hit guys directly in the hands?

he missed edelman going downfield at least twice that i remember, noting aloud that "brady does not realize how slow edelman is

Except that he's been throwing to edleman for years. I think he knows the guys tendencies. And as Jaime said- he connected with Edleman on 13 of 18 attempts (and a few of those attempts Eldeman was well-covered) and he was trying to make something happen. I honestly do not remember many- if any- throws to Edleman that I thought "BRady had no business throwing that ball." I will say that I saw a couple like that to the other guys, but not every pass must be 100% on the money to be catchable.

Unless my confirmation bias is kicking in again wherein I use facts and evidence and make rational conclusions.

Can't recall any QB who ever successfully crossed the chasm from being "beloved for the wrong reasons" to "hated for the wrong reasons" but KO managed it. Jaxom is right, the man is a legend of our time.

I can't be the only one who wants Orton to go on to a coaching career can I? :P

Except that he's been throwing to edleman for years. I think he knows the guys tendencies. And as Jaime said- he connected with Edleman on 13 of 18 attempts (and a few of those attempts Eldeman was well-covered) and he was trying to make something happen. I honestly do not remember many- if any- throws to Edleman that I thought "BRady had no business throwing that ball." I will say that I saw a couple like that to the other guys, but not every pass must be 100% on the money to be catchable.

Unless my confirmation bias is kicking in again wherein I use facts and evidence and make rational conclusions.

Edleman is the only receiver the Pats have who Brady is comfortable with. I am surprised the Jets did not clamp him down and force Brady to go after a different target

I think I saw Orton take the field for one play while Romo writhed in pain last week. But the question overall is a good one, why are Orton and Young backups/unemployed while Blaine Gabbart is still a starting QB in the league?

Unless maybe they're gay like Kerry Rhodes and getting blackballed too.

:rofl:

That went right over my head. I was like..."Vince Young?" :lol:

See and that's my problem. When I try to obliquely reference a topic it gets missed and I'm forced to resort to labia humor.

;)

Vince Young has a lot of ability on the field, but is the ultimate knucklehead off it. The NFL has been purging itself of those types of players, particularly at the QB position, for some time now.

As for Orton, who the hell knows...the guy always seems to perform when he gets a shot.

Vince Young has a lot of ability on the field, but is the ultimate knucklehead off it. The NFL has been purging itself of those types of players, particularly at the QB position, for some time now.

As for Orton, who the hell knows...the guy always seems to perform when he gets a shot.

That seems like an impossible task, eliminating the idea that a young qb is not going to do stupid things, to one degree or another, when you have guys like Johnny Manzelle in the pipeline...

Look, it's not the end of the world. Brady made some pretty poor throws last night. The receivers sucked, the defense was stout, but Brady just plain fucked up a few times. It happens, he had a bad game. He's TOM FUCKING BRADY, the Patriots are still gonna win the AFC East, and they'll still have a shot at breaking Peyton over their leg. It looks awful, but do you really think Hoodie is just gonna let this snowball? I guarantee that there's a trade in the pipeline right now that has Megatron going to NE for a 6th round conditional pick.

I think I saw Orton take the field for one play while Romo writhed in pain last week. But the question overall is a good one, why are Orton and Young backups/unemployed while Blaine Gabbart is still a starting QB in the league?

Please don't forget that scruffy beard! I've always found Kyle absurdly handsome, in a Keanu Reeves sorta way... By that I mean he looks vaguely Asian, but totally not Asian.

Aleutian on Keanu's part.

I have no idea what this means. Is that his ethnic heritage?

Is that as in Aleutian Islands? Is that a Native American/Pacific Island heritage similar to Eskimo tribes?

Well I guess his ATM was just way off on those throws as opposed to somewhat off like it was on the rest.

Don't expect a pats fan to have a rational opinion on Brady and you'll never be disappointed.

Well I guess his ATM was just way off on those throws as opposed to somewhat off like it was on the rest.

Don't expect a pats fan to have a rational opinion on Brady and you'll never be disappointed.

I don't understand. Do QBs besides Brady always have perfectly on-target passes? Some of Brady's passes are off-target. His deep accuracy in particular has never been great. Sometimes the pass is off, and the receiver has to make an adjustment. The better receivers will make an adjustment and make the catch. Part of the reason that Gronk is so valuable is because he can catch a lot of otherwise difficult-to-catch balls. Welker's infamous deep drop in the Super Bowl a couple years ago was illustrative -- the pass was a little long, and Welker had to dive for it. But he managed to get two hands on it, so he should have caught it. A little blame for both sides there. Brady's last desperation heave to Randy Moss in Super Bowl 42 was a little under-thrown. Moss had to slow down for it. Passing accurately is hard. That's why the guys who are really good at it get paid the big bucks.

Jaime's point about Brady's completion rate to Edelman vs. the other receivers was pretty illustrative. A number of Brady's passes to Dobson and Thompkins were good enough to be caught by a replacement level NFL wide receiver, and should have been completions. I'm not sure what other point you're trying to make besides that Brady threw some passes that weren't perfect. Maybe we're homers, but I don't think you're entirely rational about this either.

Ok so...apparently cops will be going undercover at the Hawks game by dressing up as 49ers fans! That just spells trouble in the stands; I might just see witness a few fights there on Sunday. But isn't that like entrapment or something? Hopefully the guys wearing 49ers jerseys on the field get pummeled enough so there's no trouble for those in the stands...

Ok so...apparently cops will be going undercover at the Hawks game by dressing up as 49ers fans! That just spells trouble in the stands; I might just see witness a few fights there on Sunday. But isn't that like entrapment or something? Hopefully the guys wearing 49ers jerseys on the field get pummeled enough so there's no trouble for those in the stands...

Entrapment? Like you are obligated to fight a 49ers fan that shows up in your stadium?

Archived