Was Rhaegar feminine?

Nami

I always kind of pictured him with features like Johnny Depp. The cheekbones, soulful eyes, etc. Personally, I think he is beautiful and not in the least feminine.

Yes, Johnny Depp is a man I would call beautiful

Young Alain Delon too

And both of them are not feminine looking guys, so I don't understand this relation people get of a guy being called beautiful with being effeminate or andro

You don't become a great fighter in a time when men wear armor unless you spend a great amount of time practicing with weapons capable of defeating armor, wearing armor yourself, etc.. That requires a level of physicality that a delicate ectomorph like the guy who played Viserys could never pull off.

What I find interesting is that all Targaryen men have long hair in fan portraits. We know that Aerys had long hair, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that the other Targaryens had long hair. Is it simply assumed that it was common for all men to have long hair in Westeros (all the Starks have long hair too)?

Like this?

http://ygrain.tumblr...age/59665462885

I don't think Rhaegar is supposed to be effeminate but rather possess an otherworldly, I'd say elven, kind of beauty:

http://liga-marta.de...dream-167879091

http://liga-marta.de...ouple-158416979

If you really want a mannish Lyanna... http://i.telegraph.c...an_2106895b.jpg

But Rhaegar had some stereotypically feminine qualities he was still a fairly good fighter and at the least had a good amount of strength and skill by winning the Toruney at Harrenhal. He's more some sort of perfect combination of masculinity and femininity which makes people suspicious of him I guess. He's not androgynous either, he's just Rhae-Rhae

Lets use logic.

Females have foresight

Rhaegar had no foresight

Rhaegar was not feminine

:lmao:

As a guy, I agree with this. So many of my fellow man, including myself, have an outstanding lack of foresight. The amount of times I have gotten myself into deep shit because I didn't think things through as clearly as I thought I did is amazing. We make decisions too quickly in an attempt to be decisive and not come off as weak I think, when it works out it works out very well, when it fails it can fail epically. It becomes easier when your in a relationship and you have as woman to rein you in from acting too quick, my previous girlfriends have saved me from so much trouble I would have been in without them.

No.

I always pictured him like a less muscular white skinned and blond version of Jason Momoa, who has a very handsome face, in my opinion. With some very emotional eyes... Johnny Depp eyes is lilac or Aragon drooling over Arwen eyes. Maybe that's a little too much even for Rhaegar.

What I find interesting is that all Targaryen men have long hair in fan portraits. We know that Aerys had long hair, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that the other Targaryens had long hair. Is it simply assumed that it was common for all men to have long hair in Westeros (all the Starks have long hair too)?

I believe it's in AFfC where Jaimie describes the Mad King towards the end. Jaime said no blade was admitted to his presence so the Mad King had finger nails nine inches long and hair that fell to his waist. Basically a dirty Targish Howard Hughes.

I havent read all the comments so i may be repeating what which has already been said. But I think its a matter of what your view as feminine. Is it the actions which makes you feminine, or is it your appearance? If it is your actions I suppose parts of Rhaegar was a bit feminine (the music, and reading...) - to Westeros standers. But to his appearance I believe not; he was supposed to be beautiful (very), and I believe that in Westeros they view beautiful in a man somewhat more manly than in our current western society, where men looking like girls could be very attractive for girls..

But if he is portrayed like a girly man in the series (if he ever is) I'd be very disappointed.. He should be strong, smart, perhaps a little spacey (with all his theories etc) and beautiful. I think its going to be hard to cast him though- just like I believe Jamie was hard to cast (great choice on Jamie account though).. But I really hope we're shown him.. Because the people who watch the show does not know who Rhaegar is, I believe its necessary to him being showed on screen for him to sink in for the viewers

Archived