Bad pop-ups

Gun Street Girl

Just to note that we're more fully experimenting with the new advertiser.

This may well mean a reduction in the sweepstake pop ups and such that have been so pernicious. On the other hand, this advertiser presents quite a variety of different ad types and so there may be some ad types which are problematic. Please feel free to report particularly onerous styles of ads (i.e. not their content, but their format), and we'll see what we can do about reducing their frequency or removing them entirely.

I still can't get page source, but the ad that I'm getting consistently since the switch, for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, points here:

http://smarturl.it/CatchingFireDlxiT
This is again one of those banner ads that attempts to keep itself on the bottom of the screen despite scrolling. I'm assuming this is verboten behavior here but I don't know. I only know that I didn't get them before this whole kerfuffle kicked off. I don't believe I've had the full screen pop-over ads since the switch, but I'll keep monitoring.

Interestingly, although it still respects a click on the X to close (though it's harder because the X is smaller), it seems to regard a click on the ad as a click on what's underneath (though the ad target still opens). I say this for two reasons. One, I can't actually get the context menu because no matter how long I hold down my finger, I never get a menu. Two, one of the times I tried I got the Report Post page, I presume because that's what was underneath the ad.

Edit: Also, this banner ad looks different from the pre-switch ones. This one doesn't go all the way across. Instead it's flanked by black boxes on either side. Also, I get this one way more often.

Any screenshots might be helpful. I think on an iPad/iPhone holding the sleep/wake button and then pushing the Home Button should automatically place a screenshot in your device's gallery.

These ads seem to show up only for US users, so I can't get them myself.

Still getting them as well, both types, although I'm often browsing on my phone now (with mobile skin) so I don't actually have a chance to see them that much these days. At least it's a wider variety!

I haven't gotten a full screen pop up in several weeks. I occasionally still get the banner add at the bottom that won't go away.

It's weird but it seems the banner adds and previously the pop ups start when I log in to the website but after I've been browsing around for a while they seem to stop on their own. This doesn't seem to be related to me repeatedly hitting the X to close them, as they last about the same amount of time whether I attempt to close them or just leave it be.

Not sure if this is helpful but I thought I'd mention it.

The persistent bottom banner was back with a vengeance yesterday. Definitely interferes with posting, as well as just being annoying.

iPad, Safari, cookies flushed recently, regular skin.

I have not seen it on my work (IE6) or home (Chrome) laptops, only the iPad.

My webroot service only covers the iPad to the extent I use their app for browsing instead of Safari. I don't typically use it because it does not render pages well

I'm frustrated with banner ads when I follow this forum on my iPod Touch. They appear at the bottom of my screen whenever I go to a new page and they are usually for WalMart. There is an X to click so that it goes away so no big deal, right? Problem is, it often takes me to a WalMart page and then I have to navigate back to the forum. I wouldn't be here posting about it if the clicking on the X reliably made the banner ad go away in a more reliable way. As it is it is a frustration that takes away from my enjoyment of the forums.

Archived