Bad pop-ups

Gun Street Girl

• 4 weeks later...

RE: UPDATE JAVA Pop-ups

I was getting this quite frequently on this site, which I access on Chrome. I mostly use Firefox, but sometimes like to have two browsers open so I can switch between different activities more easily with less likelihood of accidentally closing a tab that I want open.

My copy of Java IS up-to-date - It's digitally signed by Oracle America, Inc. and the executable is called jxpiinstall (not a typo; jxpi install)

Its size is 899 kb

The suspect executable is just called Java, and IS digitally signed, by "Payments Interactive SL"

Its size is 391kb

If you type "Payments Inter.." into a search engine it will autocomplete to ~..SL java

Which is identified by a number of internet security engines as adware.

I just now, for the first time, got the 'update Java' redirect on another site, and in a different browser (Firefox.) So I investigated further, leading me to a site that identifies it as a malware plug-in, nothing to do with the site you're on when it's invoked.

The top 'hit' in a google search on this issue advised downloading and applying FIVE separate anti-malware programs to get rid of this bug. In all probability, one or more of them were also malware. That's generally a danger with these scum programs - trying to deal with them can do more harm than good unless you're careful.

Malwarebytes, which is a program I trust, successfully detected the program and eliminated it in one pass. (after a restart of my system.)

The most reliable information I could get on this came from: http://www.itpro.co.uk/645427/microsoft-warns-users-to-be-wary-of-fake-java-updates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure whether this query belongs here I didn't really want to start a new thread if it's already being dealt with or I'm the only one because of my PC settings.

What's with the "advertising" on the left hand side of the screen, I don't want to change to "rounded anything" is it just me? 6 giant lines under the heading "Connect with us" it's overlapping into the forum posts, makes them hard to read & hard to avoid accidently clicking on them?

Not sure whether this query belongs here I didn't really want to start a new thread if it's already being dealt with or I'm the only one because of my PC settings.

What's with the "advertising" on the left hand side of the screen, I don't want to change to "rounded anything" is it just me? 6 giant lines under the heading "Connect with us" it's overlapping into the forum posts, makes them hard to read & hard to avoid accidently clicking on them?

I have them too. I switched to the mobile version because they were so annoying.

Clear cache in your browser. It depends on what browser you are using. For example, for Chrome: Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Privacy -> Clear Browsing Data -> Clear cached images and files.

I have this when using internet explorer for the wiki.

I cleared my cache several times, with more severe settings each time, but I can still see it.

I used a special program to clear the cache of every browser I have on my laptop, but I still get it on the wiki..

Is there anything else I can try? The wiki doesn't function 100% on chrome, so I use internet explorer for the wiki special.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the Java Update pop up as well. It happened last night, and is happening now. I had to fight to get here to complain, I saw the thread title, LOL

It happened last night, but not all day til now. It's a Java Update, complaining something is outdated and wanting me to sign up for something. It won't leave me alone again tonight, so.......I'm leaving for a bit, LOL

Archived