NFL 2013 Week 2 - Week 3: Running Back Graveyard

BLU-RAY

2. Nevertheless, unless Richardson is a Peterson-level talent, it's a reach for a 1st round pick

3. The smarter strategy would have been to take a serviceable RB later in the draft, and use the 1st rounder to shore up their many other holes

4. If the Colts wanted to shore up the offense (a perfectly legitimate objective), they would have been better off searching for either Reggie Wayne's successor or an above-average lineman instead of a stud RB. An above-average RB + (good WR or good lineman) > Pro Bowl RB.

5. The reason I don't like the trade for the Colts is due to the opportunity cost of that 1st round pick.

Some good points. I do not necessarily disagree exactly. But with our two TEs, TY Hilton, and a still serviceable Wayne, the passing game does not necessarily need to draft WR in the first round unless you get to pick somebody like AJ/Julio/Bryant. The colts probably will look into that in a couple of years. I believe that a RB like Richardson will keep the opposing D honest and may free up the passing game a bit for Luck and co.

First of all, you clearly missed my post on the subject.

Second, only one of our two franchise QBs isn't required to wear a helmet long after he leaves the stadium.

:lmao: C'mon, you know he's adorable! As far as the trade, I think we're close in mind but I may not have been effectively communicating in my tired/euphoric state last night.

I think this overstates the case. Even the upper tier of franchise QBs, which Luck isn't even in yet, benefits greatly from a strong running game. There's a reason both NE and GB, the two biggest "we can pass all the time with impunity" franchises, in recent years invested 2nd and 3rd round picks for the former, 2nd and 4th round picks for the latter on RBs. I think they've come to the conclusion that against the elite defenses they'll face in the playoffs, in the cold, in the bad weather they need that balance to reasonably threaten the defense to keep them from treating their running games with disdain and loading up 100% against that passing game. Even the best QBs get beat when defenses can focus exclusively on them.

People forget this but the only time Peyton Manning ever won a Superbowl was when his running game caught fire and started churning out 200 yard games in the playoffs. The running game is frequently the difference maker and has been for Manning, Brees and Brady. I know RB is only one part of the equation but you can say that about any position except QB.

As mentioned above.

Reading my own posts over again, I clearly overstated things when I said the Browns had fleeced the Colts. I think it's more accurate to say the following:

From the Colts Perspective

1. Richardson is definitely better than Goddammit Donald, so they are improved by the trade.

2. Nevertheless, unless Richardson is a Peterson-level talent, it's a reach for a 1st round pick

3. The smarter strategy would have been to take a serviceable RB later in the draft, and use the 1st rounder to shore up their many other holes

4. If the Colts wanted to shore up the offense (a perfectly legitimate objective), they would have been better off searching for either Reggie Wayne's successor or an above-average lineman instead of a stud RB. An above-average RB + (good WR or good lineman) > Pro Bowl RB.

5. The reason I don't like the trade for the Colts is due to the opportunity cost of that 1st round pick.

I very much like this, but I don't think that going WR -or even defender- is as sure a thing as you (and when I say "you", I mean multiple people on the board) make it sound like. So many potential busts, Richardson passes the eyeball test even at the NFL level. I don't care about stats, I care about effect on defenses.

In 2010 against the Jets (the last game Manning played for the Colts), the Colts had to settle for a FG when the offense failed to covert a third and 5. So they kicked a 50 Yd field goal and gave the ball back to the Jets with about a minute and 7 ticks left up by 2 . (Never mind the ensuing 47 yds punt return and the Caldwell timeout fiasco etc.) Manning could not connect to Blair White (was a catchable ball ). One more first down or a more run oriented last drive would have won the game.

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF IT!

A RB who could get 3.5 YPC to give us short 2nd/third down would have been great to have. I'm not asking for AP, a RB who can grind out tough 3, 4 yards in the playoffs. In January/February in the outdoors, it is great if the passing game can get supported by (semi)dependable running game. So yeah, as a Colts fan I am happy.

Precisely my feelings.

A RB who could get 3.5 YPC to give us short 2nd/third down would have been great to have. I'm not asking for AP, a RB who can grind out tough 3, 4 yards in the playoffs. In January/February in the outdoors, it is great if the passing game can get supported by (semi)dependable running game. So yeah, as a Colts fan I am happy.
Um...

Vick Ballard last season: 3.9 ypc

Donald Brown: 3.9

Delone Carter: 3.8

The only Colt RB that didn't was Mewelde Moore, who had 1.5 ypc. The team's overall average is 3.8.

So...y'all already had that. Point of fact, TR has less YPC average currently than any of the existing Colts RBs.

Lol, I'm about to post about how much this game sucks and Michael Vick breaks off a 50+ run from inside his own 15. God, he looked gassed on that. Then that TD to Avant was really good. I've always loved that for such a relatively small guy, he's not afraid to get hit.

If we're evaluating the trade for the Colts, if it works out to be a good one, it will happen in the 2015 and 2016 seasons... and that's it. After that, TRich will either have proven to be a bust, or he will command more in money than he is worth in productivity. Before that, the Colts are not going to be Super Bowl contenders. If they had managed to use that first rounder to get a significant defensive or OLine upgrade, they might've had a shot at it next year, but they've swapped that out for Richardson.

Now they need to find the resources for those defensive and OLine upgrades somewhere else.

Um...

Vick Ballard last season: 3.9 ypc

Donald Brown: 3.9

Delone Carter: 3.8

The only Colt RB that didn't was Mewelde Moore, who had 1.5 ypc. The team's overall average is 3.8.

So...y'all already had that. Point of fact, TR has less YPC average currently than any of the existing Colts RBs.

I know, but that was with everybody trying to stop Luck. TR's YPC is with the Weed throwing. So they are not the same.

What I meant was we needed a RB who is a threat to produce a tough 3 to 4 yard run no matter what the D is doing.

I know, but that was with everybody trying to stop Luck. TR's YPC is with the Weed throwing. So they are not the same.

What I meant was we needed a RB who is a threat to produce a tough 3 to 4 yard run no matter what the D is doing.

Bruce Arians said that Vick Ballard was a poor-man's Edge. He was a heroin-addicts Edge. I like Ballard, and I love his physical style of play, but he is not and never will be a feature back. And I don't give a damn what number you put beside Donald Brown, it's not telling the same story that the film is telling.

I have not read the entire thread since the travesty of the Richardson trade, so forgive me if I'm repeating something...

But I think it bears pointing out that for Richardson's one year in the league, the Browns have never been a threat to throw the ball. Defenses have been able to stack the line and prevent the run with no fear of retribution from Whedon and the receiving core.

In Indy, sure the line is still weak at best; but defenses have already learned to respect Andrew Luck. Richardson will be played more honestly and will have a chance to run against teams that are having to drop defenders back.

I think its a great move for the Colts. And while its admittedly a slap in the face to Browns fans, I can at least see what they are hoping to do with the situation.

Couldn't agree more. In his admittedly short NFL career, TRich has been the focal point of every defense he's faced. He still managed to post 1000 yds running and 400 receiving and 11 TDs. This on a pretty bad offense.

On a related note, what the hell is management in Cleveland smoking? I have to wonder if this is at all related the Browns scouts slobbering over Manziel last week...

Archived