NFL 2013 Week 2 - Week 3: Running Back Graveyard

BLU-RAY

I think this move confirms what some of us said a year and a half ago: Mike Holmgren was an idiot to trade up one spot to pick a running back and gave up a 4th, 5th, and 7th round pick to do so.

Well now we get to see how good Trent Richardson really is. There's no question the first 18 games of his pro career have been very disappointing. But he's still just one year removed from being considered the best RB prospect in 5 years, 2nd best in a decade. The only one considered more skilled than him just carried a team with Christian Ponder as its QB to the playoffs. I'm not ready to say he's a bust yet.

And to those saying there's only certain positions you can draft in the top 10, I disagree. That's changed. Outside of QBs, LTs and pass rushers are still the most important but there isn't that yawning chasm that used to exist when everyone ran the same basic offense and the numbers game played out the same way each time. Skins are set with both and are still terrible. You need guys who can play. Period. Or you get exploited at whatever you don't do well. And the Colts have been terrible running the ball for as long as Luck has been there which is tough even on wunderkinds.

This is a worthwhile gamble. He either works out or he doesn't though if it's the latter, is that any worse than Anthony Costonzo or Jerry Hughes or any other first round busts the Colts have had in recent years? At least they're now betting on talent instead of forcing a pick based on need. Can only imagine how Colts fans would've freaked out on draft night to think they'd end up with Luck and TR.

Josh Gordon is a beast, Future top 5 NFL WR. .

Very bold claim. Calvin green and dez will be holding three of those spots for a while.

Marshall. Vjax. Julio. All have Good years left. Wr doesn't turn over that fast.

A good RB takes pressure off of a passing game and a good passing game opens up lanes for a running game. Whether this will work for the Colts remains to be seen but when you're trying to compete now sometimes you have to make a gamble.
I agree with everything save one bit. A good running game takes pressure off a passing game; a good RB does not. The passing game in Minnesota hasn't opened up because of AP. It didn't save the Bears last season either. It wasn't good in Seattle two years ago. You've got to have the line. If you don't, the defense won't care about playing the run because they know they can beat their blocks anyway and it's way more advantageous for them to go all out for the passer.

It's a better situation for TR than where he's at, I'll absolutely agree. But it's not clear that it's a good move for the Colts. And the notion that the Colts are in win now mode is absurd given the holes they have.

It's a better situation for TR than where he's at, I'll absolutely agree. But it's not clear that it's a good move for the Colts. And the notion that the Colts are in win now mode is absurd given the holes they have.

They more or less have him for 4 years. They don't need to be in win now mode this year but they will definitely be there over the next year or two with Luck at QB.

I agree with everything save one bit. A good running game takes pressure off a passing game; a good RB does not. The passing game in Minnesota hasn't opened up because of AP. It didn't save the Bears last season either. It wasn't good in Seattle two years ago. You've got to have the line. If you don't, the defense won't care about playing the run because they know they can beat their blocks anyway and it's way more advantageous for them to go all out for the passer.

Without an effective passing QB it is hard to say that is true.

Without an effective passing QB it is hard to say that is true.

Yep, poor Adrian Peterson. He has brief tastes of great QB play early in both his college and NFL careers, but it didn't last either place, and he's spent his time running against teams that knew the ball was going to him every time. He's still put up great numbers. It's a shame that he has virtually no chance of playing with a competent QB during his prime years. Can't believe the freaking Vikings used a high 1st round draft pick on a guy that was pretty clearly a 6th or 7th round talent. Take a look at these college statistics and let me know what makes you believe he could be a starting NFL QB: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13966/type/college/christian-ponder. One of the worst 1st round draft picks in the history of the league. Most of the other big busts at QB at least had the talent. Ponder has neither talent nor production. I guess he's got a hot wife though.

Don't forget Fitzgerald. Lindley, Skelton, and Kolb ain't his fault.

He's not young anymore, but he's still in his prime with a QB.

i didnt entirely forget him. godons hypothetical time on top could be after fitzgerald is past his prime. even though at the moment he is still one of the top talents.

also, not an exhaustive list i made above.

Little, Gordon, and Cameron are pretty good passcatchers, so that's the strength. And they have an elite LT. The question becomes, can the QB actually get those dudes the ball with some consistency and accuracy.

December 1st. That's the big game on our schedule now.

We better not fuck around and win games we have no need of winning.

What a spit in the face of the season ticket holders.

we don't even need to tank. Our quarterback situation is so bad that if the offense continues to do its thing and the defense continues to do its thing, we can lose 14-7 competitively every week.

:blushing:

:leer:

December 1st. That's the big game on our schedule now.

We better not fuck around and win games we have no need of winning.

What a spit in the face of the season ticket holders.

Wait, wait, wait... People buy Browns season tickets?

No sarcasm- You should rub some of that off on Jacksonville. They've had a lot more (relative) success than the Browns, and they can't fill a seat.

they're in the wrong city to try to fill seats. The Buccaneers have won a Super Bowl in recent memory and the Dolphins will always be the NFL team of that state. So they'll never really have the fan base they'd need to fill those seats.

The Browns on the other hand were winning NFL Championships before most of our grandparents were out of high school. Generations of winning have contributed to their long term fan base, even in their current losing paradox.

Eta: and tbh, we just don't want to share the one good thing the Browns have: the loyalty of the fan base.

I've had time to process the Browns inept decision. I'm still pretty pissed off but there's some light at the end of the tunnel. I really hope we tie with the Jaguars record wise though an lose to them.

With all due respect, I think your Browns just fleeced the Colts.

The Colts are a playoff team, but is a RB really going to help them that much when they've got holes all over their defense and Reggie Wayne is in his decline phase? Is Richardson that much better than what they could have gotten in the draft or free agency? They gave up a starting LB or DB in exchange for RB.

Meanwhile, the Browns aren't going anywhere without a QB. Now they have an extra draft 1st-round pick to either trade up or trade down.

they're in the wrong city to try to fill seats. The Buccaneers have won a Super Bowl in recent memory and the Dolphins will always be the NFL team of that state. So they'll never really have the fan base they'd need to fill those seats.

also. about 30 mins north of jacksonville is the georgia line. north of that line is falcons fans, even though atlanta is 4-8 (4 isn savannah, 8 in brunswick) times further mileage wise. south along the coast you run into established miami territory pretty quickly.

orlando has no greater ties to jacksonville than to tampa or miami. tampa is closer and miami is more established. plus tons of transplants.

tough for jacksonville to find fans outside of its immediate metro which is the 39th biggest in the country. comparable nfl cties, (new orleans, buffalo) at least dominate a significant area outside of their metro, and have secondary markets. jacksonville does not.

perhaps jags fans are not loyal or not passionate. but really there just arent that many of them

Archived