Dating 6 -- Occupy The Dating Thread: We Are The 90%

Xray the Enforcer

He is more pissed than I am. She made an asshole out of him. I'm disappointed but that's about it.

I'd imagine so.

Of course, there could be legitimate reasons on why she missed the date. So I guess, try to find out if that's the case? Odds are, though, that she just chickened out at the last minute. Did she at least call in advance to let her friends know?

I was running late for the date, called to let him know and he acted really nasty and pissed so I called it off.

If he had done online dating before, he had probably been burned by these delays before, so I think it's understandable that he's annoyed. But if he acted nasty, that's uncalled for, and you're in your right to cancel.

Probably for the best. I found out he was very recently back from military action overseas and god knows I've dealt with that shit before. Angry ex-military + Mandy = dead Mandy. I know it.

This part, though, is very uncalled for. Yes, combat veterans who return from duty tours often have emotional issues. But that doesn't make them likely to be murderers. That's quite insulting, considering that they had no control over whether they get PTSD or not. What you said would be the same as if a man were to say that he found out his date was raped 2 years ago and thank goodness he cancelled the date because lord knows, rape victims can be really psychotic about sex and intimacy.

I'd imagine so.

Of course, there could be legitimate reasons on why she missed the date. So I guess, try to find out if that's the case? Odds are, though, that she just chickened out at the last minute. Did she at least call in advance to let her friends know?

What pissed off my friend the most is the fact that she didn't have the courtesy to let him know that something came up. She might actually be at a family function like she says but I'm not so sure I buy it.

What pissed off my friend the most is the fact that she didn't have the courtesy to let him know that something came up. She might actually be at a family function like she says but I'm not so sure I buy it.

Yeah, if the excuse is that it's a family function (what, a wedding dinner? Family reunion? Birthday?), then I think it's crap. Soon as she knew she double-booked her time she should have informed your mutual friend.

Yeah, if the excuse is that it's a family function (what, a wedding dinner? Family reunion? Birthday?), then I think it's crap. Soon as she knew she double-booked her time she should have informed your mutual friend.

A birthday I believe. And she only said that after he texted her after giving her a half hour. She seriously owes him an apology. Him and his wife were so excited to be introducing me to someone.

A birthday I believe. And she only said that after he texted her after giving her a half hour. She seriously owes him an apology. Him and his wife were so excited to be introducing me to someone.

Did they mention that you're a Yankees fan? If I was supposed to meet a girl and discovered that she cheered the Yankees, I'd have several birthdays and funerals to attend that had previously slipped my mind...

Did they mention that you're a Yankees fan? If I was supposed to meet a girl and discovered that she cheered the Yankees, I'd have several birthdays and funerals to attend that had previously slipped my mind...

But then, you'd think their mutual friends would have noted this severe incompatibility. Any friend who tries to set me up with a devout Christian obviously doesn't know me well enough to be setting me up with anyone for a date, as an example.

But then, you'd think their mutual friends would have noted this severe incompatibility. Any friend who tries to set me up with a devout Christian obviously doesn't know me well enough to be setting me up with anyone for a date, as an example.

Certainly true. A devout Christian friend of mine once set me up with a similarly-minded friend and it was an incredibly awkward date. She brought up her religion in the first thirty minutes and it was a train wreck from there out. It made me question just what kind of friendship I had with this person, that they thought the date was a good idea. Set-ups can really strain friendships :(

AMP, I am not saying this of your friend, just my experience. I was trying to make light of your Yankee-love, carryover from the baseball thread, hope it wasn't out of line :dunce:

Certainly true. A devout Christian friend of mine once set me up with a similarly-minded friend and it was an incredibly awkward date. She brought up her religion in the first thirty minutes and it was a train wreck from there out. It made me question just what kind of friendship I had with this person, that they thought the date was a good idea. Set-ups can really strain friendships :(

AMP, I am not saying this of your friend, just my experience. I was trying to make light of your Yankee-love, carryover from the baseball thread, hope it wasn't out of line :dunce:

Don't be silly My Lord. I found it amusing. She actually is a Yankee fan. But I suspect he didn't know her as well as thought.

Mandy, you need to get a hobby. Like, a real hobby. A cooking class through parks and rec or something. Something new that occupies time and is enjoyable. It's very helpful.

To the person in the long distance relationship- are you sure you only called 2 or 3 times? Regardless, he shouldn't have asked a question he wasn't actually able to handle discussing. It sucks that you invested time and effort, only for it to go to shit after finally meeting in person.

I thought we were Mandy's hobby :unsure: :P

Well, to be fair...

Mandy, you need to get a hobby. Like, a real hobby. A cooking class through parks and rec or something. Something new that occupies time and is enjoyable. It's very helpful.

A hobby, and a much better developed sense of self-preservation. If the guy was that pissed off about you being late, imagine what he would have been like if you then decided you didn't want to 'watch a movie' at his house or when he discovered that when you said no sex, what you meant was no sex - and there you were, trapped and alone with him. That could have been a dangerous situation you almost put yourself in, and you seem alarmingly blase about it!

I don't mean to lecture, but yeah, self-preservation is good.

I don't think a friend setting up a friend with someone they wouldn't be compatible with is necessarily a sign that they don't know you that well. That could certainly be the case, of course, but your friend could just be naive. I have friends that have tried to set me up with militant non-believers and strict bible thumpers.

Needless to say, I don't go well with either. In those cases, they seriously overestimated my own good nature and willingness to put up with bullshit. I think for most of us, that's an easy mistake to have happen when you're largely known as a good person.

Yeah... Maybe I rely on my instincts too much sometimes, but in the end I didn't feel it was right so I didn't go.

Your instincts only have to be wrong once though.

I think people have this idea that there's only carefree hooking up and serious dating. PA is right, you can have some filtering time before the hook up for safety's sake.

p.s. Did I really write the words "PA is right"?....Just joshing you PA. :-)

Ugh what crap Phillip. I was running late for the date, called to let him know and he acted really nasty and pissed so I called it off. Probably for the best. I found out he was very recently back from military action overseas and god knows I've dealt with that shit before. Angry ex-military + Mandy = dead Mandy. I know it.

Methinks you made the right call on that score. That sounds like it could be a dangerous situation.

It sounds like you dodged a bullet.

I think I did too. It would have gone terribly or really well and the resulting relationship would have been awesome at first but then gone down in flames. I am curious as to what she tells him at work tomorrow.

Archived