Why do people hate tyrion part 2! Because one thread wasn't enough.

E-Ro

I like Tyrion especially in ADWD. Can you imagine reading Slavers Bay chapters, without Tyrion? Just Dany, Barristan and Quentyn? Tyrion is at least entertaining.

Actually, to me, Barry and Quent had the honor of being my favorite POVs in Essos.

Actually, to me, Barry and Quent had the honor of being my favorite POVs in Essos.

Same.

I grew disillusioned with Tyrion when he reached Pentos, after loving him previously. Only on my re-read am I starting to really like him again. Despite the bitterness and the atrocities, he is still a fantastic character and generally awesome, especially prior to ADWD.

Some of it is just hype aversion. The guy is far and away the most popular ASoIaF character in wider media (albeit somewhat coloured by the show), and that sours some readers.

I'm kind of neutral with him. He was fascinating at first but I find the other Lannisters more dynamic than him at this point.

The only real atrocity he committed was...

Can't think of a single one. On that court of law I absolved him of all charges except killing Tywin and Shae, but by plea of insanity I don't consider him guilty.

Was he insane when he raped the slave girl twice and treated her like a sub-human? He comes from a place where slavery is outlawed, he's intelligent, and has the capacity to understand suffering/right/wrong. So there's no grounds for diminished responsibility on cultural grounds for this one.

I think people are forgetting what a broken shell he was on his arrival to Essos. The Tyrion in Pentos is not the same Tyrion who we saw in Westeros and who seems to be re-surfacing in Slaver's bay.

Also, when talking about rape, you are talking about the girl in Illirio's mason, right? Now I am very likely to have missed something, but do we know if he actually committed the act? I mean, was it said he went on to do the act after threatening her about it? Because to me it seems he wanted fear, and fear is what he has already got.

I think people are forgetting what a broken shell he was on his arrival to Essos. The Tyrion in Pentos is not the same Tyrion who we saw in Westeros and who seems to be re-surfacing in Slaver's bay.

Also, when talking about rape, you are talking about the girl in Illirio's mason, right? Now I am very likely to have missed something, but do we know if he actually committed the act? I mean, was it said he went on to do the act after threatening her about it? Because to me it seems he wanted fear, and fear is what he has already got.

no, they're talking about the sex slave he actually raped (knows it was wrong, then puked on, then took her again) just before Jorah runs into him:

Though she did look Westerosi, the girl spoke not a word of the Common Tongue. Perhaps she was captured by some slaver as a child. Her bedchamber was small, but there was a Myrish carpet on the floor and a mattress stuffed with feathers in place of straw. I have seen worse. “Will you give me your name?” he asked, as he took a cup of wine from her. “No?” The wine was strong and sour and required no translation. “I suppose I shall settle for your cunt.” He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Have you ever bedded a monster before? Now’s as good a time as any. Out of your clothes and onto your back, if it please you. Or not.”

She looked at him uncomprehending, until he took the flagon from her hands and lifted her skirts up over her head. After that she understood what was required of her, though she did not prove the liveliest of partners. Tyrion had been so long without a woman that he spent himself inside her on the third thrust.

He rolled off feeling more ashamed than sated. This was a mistake. What a wretched creature I’ve become. “Do you know a woman by the name of Tysha?” he asked, as he watched his seed dribble out of her onto the bed. The whore did not respond. “Do you know where whores go?” She did not answer that one either. Her back was crisscrossed by ridges of scar tissue. This girl is as good as dead. I have just fucked a corpse. Even her eyes looked dead. She does not even have the strength to loathe me.

He needed wine. A lot of wine. He seized the flagon with both hands and raised it to his lips. The wine ran red. Down his throat, down his chin. It dripped from his beard and soaked the feather bed. In the candlelight it looked as dark as the wine that had poisoned Joffrey. When he was done he tossed the empty flagon aside and half-rolled and half-staggered to the floor, groping for a chamber pot. There was none to be found. His stomach heaved, and he found himself on his knees, retching on the carpet, that wonderful thick Myrish carpet, as comforting as lies.

The whore cried out in distress. They will blame her for this, he realized, ashamed. “Cut off my head and take it to King’s Landing,” Tyrion urged her. “My sister will make a lady of you, and no one will ever whip you again.” She did not understand that either, so he shoved her legs apart, crawled between them, and took her once more. That much she could comprehend, at least.

I don't hate him and he's one of the better characters in many a situation, but I won't ignore his flaws and will call him up on them (as I would other characters). I do think he gets a bit of a free rein when it comes to his flaws, which can a bit annoying at times when they're of a serious nature. Still, he's an interesting character and the books would be far less without him.

snip

Totally forgot about that one!

Still, Tyrion was in terrible mental state on his campaign in Essos. I know it is not an excuse, but it is a reason. I believe the sane version of Tyrion is, in essence, a good guy.

Tyrion is well written, although I find his personality to be very grating, especially in GOT. He always has something snarky to say about everything which is something that drives me nuts.

I really think his character arc should have ended with Lysa throwing him out the moon door. I wanted to see the bad man fly too.

One underrated aspect of Tyrion's lameness is that he took up arms against Stannis knowing full well he was the rightful king and that joffrey was a horrible, evil malignant piece of shit and a bastard born of incest. Family or not was still amoral and the main reason he loved being hand was the thrill of power not a sense of duty. Every time a commoner or noble begrudged his rule it was "something something I saved you" when a good act should be about actually doing good not the credit you get from it.

Tywin said it best:

Why? You ask that? You who killed your mother to come into the world? You are an ill-made, spiteful little creature full of envy, lust, and low cunning. Men's laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors since I cannot prove that you are not mine. And to teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about wearing that proud lion that was my father's sigil and his father's before him. But neither gods nor men will ever compel me to let you turn Casterly Rock into your whorehouse. Go, now. Speak no more of your rights to Casterly Rock. Go!

LOL at being 'lame' for fighting against Stannis. What was Tyrion going to do? Abandon his house, and his father, brother, sister and nephews and niece? Give me a break. And who was it who destroyed Stannis's fleet and came up with the idea for the alliance that defeated him?

He went from being witty and intelligent to whiny and annoying. He has done some pretty despicable things but somehow manages to blame everyone but himself for what has befallen him. He despises his family but being born a Lannister has actually allowed him to live a pretty good life. And plot armour that puts Valyrian steel to shame.

Archived