Who is the most intelligent teenager in the series?

And I thought Jersey boy would sympathize with his fellow brahs...

Haha, well, I do sympathize with those three to a certain extent. That being said I don't think they are the brightest. IMO, when you said Sansa that was spot on, and even if she isn't on the list she's the most intelligent.

Sam foremost for intelligence, Jon very close second given his ability to lead in difficult situations while weighing up the needs / desires of opposing factions. Dany gets an honourable mention for this skill as well, although she hasn't had anywhere near the schooling that the others have had so it's understandable if she isn't quite there.

Sansa not anywhere near them yet - IMO it is surprising she is considered most intelligent by some posters on this thread. She has a lot of potential for sure but last time we saw her she was still getting spoonfed by LF and gradually working things out, not anywhere in the same league as the older teenagers.

Shoutout to Jojen and Meera, very intelligent also

Haha, well, I do sympathize with those three to a certain extent. That being said I don't think they are the brightest. IMO, when you said Sansa that was spot on, and even if she isn't on the list she's the most intelligent.

Thing about Sansa was the fact she wasn't mentioned... What would you do if someone asks who is the best King, and omits Stannis?

I am so surprised that so many people don't see Sansa's intelligence. I mean, you have Loras and Dany on the list, and not Sansa? The fact some people don't like character doesn't mean that character is stupid. People should have that in mind...

Thing about Sansa was the fact she wasn't mentioned... What would you do if someone asks who is the best King, and omits Stannis?

I would call the banners and raise hell.

I am so surprised that so many people don't see Sansa's intelligence. I mean, you have Loras and Dany on the list, and not Sansa? The fact some people don't like character doesn't mean that character is stupid. People should have that in mind...

Agreed.

I'm no Dany fan but you seem to answer your own question in your last line - just because you don't like Dany doesn't mean she is stupid... Now Sansa is certainly growing up to be smart, but she still has a way to go, and I can't really see her as being the most intelligent teenager in the books atm, or even in the top 5. Not to say she won't become great, she just has a lot of potential that has yet to be realised imo

I'm no Dany fan but you seem to answer your own question in your last line - just because you don't like Dany doesn't mean she is stupid... Now Sansa is certainly growing up to be smart, but she still has a way to go, and I can't really see her as being the most intelligent teenager in the books atm, or even in the top 5. Not to say she won't become great, she just has a lot of potential that has yet to be realised imo

Who says I don't like Dany? Where did you get that idea?

As for Sansa, if you properly analyze her chapters you can see how intelligent she really is. She is among most intelligent teenagers at the moment... You are intelligent or you are not, intelligence doesn't have potential, as far as I know... You can't say "someone has potential to be intelligent"

Where exactly has Sansa demonstrated intelligence?

Telling Cercei about her father's plan?

Seeing Joffrey try to kill her sister because she stopped him from bullying a helpless child, and continuing to see Joffrey as her Prince Charming?(and lying to protect him?)

Or was it when she finally got revenge on Joffrey? (Oh wait, that was Littlefinger's plan.)

How about when she saved Dontos? That took some cleverness. And resulted in her watching without remorse while Dontos was murdered to protect her own escape.

Let's take Tyrion's word for it (commonly accepted as the cleverest character) and say that disavowing her father and brother as traitors was smart. I guess so, but that could also be attributed to a lack of honor, morals, or any backbone whatsoever. But if you wanna go with 'intelligent' then by all means.

Who says I don't like Dany? Where did you get that idea?

As for Sansa, if you properly analyze her chapters you can see how intelligent she really is. She is among most intelligent teenagers at the moment... You are intelligent or you are not, intelligence doesn't have potential, as far as I know... You can't say "someone has potential to be intelligent"

My apologies re Dany, I inferred that from your post incorrectly.

My point re Sansa is that she has the potential to be intelligent - meaning that she was not very intelligent when we first met her, she has developed her intelligence throughout the novels and has potential to become very intelligent by the end. I guess we have a different interpretation of intelligence - it is not an innate quality but rather something that one develops through learning, you are not intelligent when you are born, but it is something that you learn through experience

I often have trouble differing between TV show Sansa and book Sansa. Even still it feels to me that Sansa was really annoying early on with how immature and narrow minded she was, and since Ned died she's sort of just been a long for the ride. I'm sure she's learning new things from observing Cersei (what to do and what not to do) and from being with Littlefinger. But to say she's the smartest I just don't see the proof yet.

All she had to do for her freedom is tell everyone that Littlefinger pushed Lysa out the door. The Knights of the Vale would keep her safe.

Anyway, I'd give it to Sam or Jojen.

I'd say it's between Robb, Jon, Sam, Arya and Margaery. In military/leadership terms probably Robb, in cliched book smarts intelligence probably Samwell, Arya's an adaptable fast learner with a lot of social intelligence and self control and it's hinted at in the book and shown in the TV show that Margaery's really shrewd politically.

My apologies re Dany, I inferred that from your post incorrectly.

My point re Sansa is that she has the potential to be intelligent - meaning that she was not very intelligent when we first met her, she has developed her intelligence throughout the novels and has potential to become very intelligent by the end. I guess we have a different interpretation of intelligence - it is not an innate quality but rather something that one develops through learning, you are not intelligent when you are born, but it is something that you learn through experience

I am sorry, but intelligence is potential of acting appropriately in different situations. No one has the potential of being intelligent, you are intelligent or you aren't. And Sansa proved her intelligence very early in the books, only some of us weren't paying attention. All in all it's not discussion for now. She has potential to become a player, to be force to be reckoned with, but she has that potential due to her intelligence.

:cheers:

You can't stiff the Griff.

Har! I like that! Sadly the Griff is getting stiff. (JonCon)

I actually think Robb, Jon, and dany qualify for dumbest teens of asoiaf.

Bolded is a nice big tall glass of NOPE! The dude who managed to get the wildlings on his side and work out a compromise with Stannis, finagle the Iron Bank in the Night's Watch favor, and pretty much single handedly created a new House with the Thenns and Alys, managed to pull the wool over Melisandre's eyes...Yeah real fucken dumb right? Him getting shanked wasnt the result of his own idiocy but the idiocy of one of his peons.

Bolded is a nice big tall glass of NOPE! The dude who managed to get the wildlings on his side and work out a compromise with Stannis, finagle the Iron Bank in the Night's Watch favor, and pretty much single handedly created a new House with the Thenns and Alys, managed to pull the wool over Melisandre's eyes...Yeah real fucken dumb right? Him getting shanked wasnt the result of his own idiocy but the idiocy of one of his peons.

Most of Jon's intellectual accomplishments seem to derive from the fact that his opponents react unbelievably stupidly, a bit like Dany.

All of the characters they are opposed to suffer from an extreme case of plot-induced stupidity.

Archived