Who is the most intelligent teenager in the series?

Exactly so. Sansa is educated, yeah. No more than any other highborn girl her age. She's still dumber than most of them.

And if only this conclusion would actually have validation in the books...

Sansa starts out incredibly naive, and still is to a point. That doesn't make her dumb.

She does make dumb decisions at times though.

Compared to the other teenagers, she's probably the one who has done the least stupid decisions so far.

(Except maybe Missandei and Aegon, but she's no teenager and we've just been introduced to Aegon)

Compared to the other teenagers, she's probably the one who has done the least stupid decisions so far.

(Except maybe Missandei and Aegon, but she's no teenager and we've just been introduced to Aegon)

From what Varys was saying, it sounds like Aegon probably has had one of the best educations of any of the characters, maybe even the best education, but beyond that it's hard to say, and education is not always the best indicator of intelligence: George W. Bush is a Yale and Harvard graduate, after all. :D I don't know how much weight we can place on Aegon being effortlessly manipulated by Tyrion: we can say the same happened to people twice or even three times Aegon's age. Also, Aegon may well be vindicated in following Tyrion's advice for a time, as I suspect it will (at least in the short term) yield him considerable success.

You can be a brilliant person and still make some really dumb mistakes, and several characters who are clearly written as brilliant and seem to be accepted as brilliant by the readers made some epically stupid mistakes in their youth: Littlefinger challenged Brandon to a duel, Tyrion married a commoner, etc. Intelligence is not the same thing as judgment.

Arya has the most street smarts/survival skills out of this list. Dany's street smarts are okay, but her dragons were/are her main saving grace in not having to be a Dosh Khaleen for the rest of her life.

Jon Snow wisens up/grows smarter/more mature as the books go on, especially in ASoS and ADWD. He's definitely had a lot of great mentors/strong male figures (Jeor Mormont, The Ned, Ser Rodrick, Benjen, Maester Luwin, hell even Stannis and Sam!) in his life; however, it makes me sad that Jon never had a strong female presence who loved him. Maybe it's because I'm a woman, but I'd love to see him finally receive that. Yeah yeah, Ygritte loved him in a romantic sense, but I'm talking more about familial love, i.e. to see Arya and/or Sansa reunite with him and bond with him as siblings. I'd love to see Jon fall in love with a woman again romantically, but I think he needs that sort of reunion/closure with at least 1 of his female relatives/finally receive familial love from them before he potentially/even considers the possibility of ever being with a woman romantically again.

Sam and Faegon are definitely the most book smart.

Robb was an excellent strategist the battlefield, and arguably received a great education since he would be the Lord of Winterfell, but he made dumb, life-costing decisions when it came to love and honor.

Margaery is very clever, and could easily be like Olenna if she lives to a ripe old age.

Loras is a great knight/Kingsguard and has excellent fighting skills, like a younger, less jaded Jaime Lannister. Not sure about his intelligence though.

I'm beginning to think that the people who think Arya is the smartest are the same ones who thought she was an excellent swordsman in my "Kids with Swords" thread...

Jeez, man. You don't like her, I get it, but there's no need to be condescending. It's our opinion. And she is very intelligent, which can be seen throughout her chapters.

If I have to pick one I think I would go with Arya simply because I feel she is more versatile than the others. When I try to imagine how interchangeable they all are Arya wins out, I think she could be just as capable as the others with anything... only if she wanted to though. :P

I'm drawing a blank here so would someone refresh my memory please

Nice, I really like the way you put that!

Fat Tom was knocking on her door. "Arya girl, what’s wrong?" he called out. "You in there?"

"No!" she shouted. The knocking stopped. A moment later she heard him going away. Fat Tom was always easy to fool.

Because acting childish at nine shows what an idiot you are right? :)

I heard Aegon could mend nets pretty well, that requires a semblance of ingeniousness.

Aye, spiders are reknown for their intelligence.

Arya does seem very smart for her age, but she is also clearly messed up in the head which makes it harder to tell. I don't know what Sansa has done that qualifies her for being on the list at all honestly. She isn't stupid but...

Sam, Robb, Margaery and Sansa. Why are some of the people here so adamantly against the idea of Sansa being on the list. This isn't about liking Sansa, but admitting facts. Dislike or hate her, but Sansa is definitely intelligent. There is actual textual evidence in her chapters. Last time I checked naivete isn't a synonym for lacking intelligence.

Arya, Robb, And Jon. Arya survived from unenviable situations. Robb was amazing commander and strategist, unmatched by any other teenager. He made one dumb decision which was understandable.

Dany survived unenviable situations as well, and has yet to lose an armed conflict.

Also, hahaha.... Jon.

That is a good point you make, though rather unappreciated by many. :(

While I agree that it goes too unappreciated, my point was that surviving difficult situations doesn't immediately make a character smart.

I'm not trying to be mean about Sansa cause I love her lots she's a fav, but what exactly has she done to be named above anybody on the list?

Sansa's not dumb by any means but what exactly has she done by her own accord to be put in the same category or on the same level as Margaery, Robb, Sam, or Jon?

I'm not trying to be mean about Sansa cause I love her lots she's a fav, but what exactly has she done to be named above anybody on the list?

Sansa's not dumb by any means but what exactly has she done by her own accord to be put in the same category or on the same level as Margaery, Robb, Sam, or Jon?

Well she is incredible observant. She figured out the second kingslaying when nobody else didn't - Little Finger and Olenna don't count, and she noticed how Little FInger manipulated the Vale bannermen in AFFC. I would say that Sansa is mainly book smart, but when it comes to street smart she is pretty rusty. Luckily she getting better in it.

Archived