NaNoWriMo 2013: Who's in?

Minaku

I sometimes put a playlist together for a particular project. It's not terribly rigorous and is mostly procrastination, but it can be fun. The current one features of lot of Queen, The Killers, Kasabian and even more Led Zeppelin.

I sometimes put a playlist together for a particular project. It's not terribly rigorous and is mostly procrastination, but it can be fun. The current one features of lot of Queen, The Killers, Kasabian and even more Led Zeppelin.

See I can't write to songs. In fact, I struggle to write to any sound at all - besides from rare occasions when a soap is on (when my better half fancies watching them).

I can't write if it's too quiet, if anything. I just end up staring into space. Cafe, public library, park bench, etc, all tend to work better. It's focusing, somehow. When I lived downtown I used to climb up on the roof with a laptop and catch the street noise.

I can't write if it's too quiet, if anything. I just end up staring into space. Cafe, public library, park bench, etc, all tend to work better. It's focusing, somehow. When I lived downtown I used to climb up on the roof with a laptop and catch the street noise.

Yeah, from the speck of research that I made into this, it seems like there's an even split. Some people can have noise, others can't have any.

I have to work in silence, or surrounded by music. Opera and instrumental music work the best. When I listen to minor Bach pieces my writing always turns depressing so I basically keep the Barbara Bonney performance of Et incarnatus est from the Mozart c minor mass on loop.

I need something that my brain can read as white noise. Music I get too invested in, so that doesn't work, plus I want to sing along and get super into it (even if there are no words). Any new tv or movies won't work, cause I end up watching them, but usually if it is quiet I space out or get jumpy about the little noises in my apartment, which distracts me even more. And being around people is the worst, cause I end up listening to all their conversations or getting way too distracted whenever someone moves in my field of vision.

So my solution has been putting on tv I have seen before (thank you Netflix) or, oddly, putting on Ocean's 11, which always seems to increase my productivity tenfold.

I write best to orchestral music or songs in a language I don't understand, but any music is generally better than none at all. I've been putting in a respectable number of words this week on the way to work with my earphones in. Unfortunately I have run out of paper. :( :( :( Need more paper... 6000 words so far.

What might be the case is that you really want to be enjoying yourself at the same time as writing, though any medium you enjoy that uses up your attention is right out. If you enjoy drinks or types of foods even places (I like to write while lying in bed!), ensure you get that during your writing session. Probably also force yourself to stay for a half hour or hour doing this, even if you don't write anything (though keep the pen tapping on page). It's hard to write, but kinda easy to force yourself to enter into no other activity for half an hour - and when you can do no other activity and a pen is in your hand, it just sort of comes to you at that point! My tips, anyway.

Y'all are killing it, I am so vicariously proud! :)

Omg I am so behind. But this past week was the only week my bf was going to be home for a while, so that's my excuse, even though I did miss a good few solid hours I could have spent on it. And now I am sick. BUT I am going to attempt to distract myself from my empty apartment by burning through some words. I refuse to believe that I am too far behind to catch up, even though I am only at 3k so far! Yikes.

Stop Googling. It's the anti-thesis of production. (I know. I wasted about an hour and a half on the historical districts of Rome and Istanbul... :) ) Just write, Nora. You can edit later. Leave a note to research underwear later and move on.

I know, but I always think that it will only take a quick minute (and sometimes it does!) and then...down the rabbit hole. And sometimes it inspires me! But more often I just get lost in Wiki and randomness.

Screw it? Make it the cheesiest, dumbest, fauxest middle east ever - whatever gets you through and feels fun. You can go back and make it logical and original later.

Now it's become some weird EnglishMiddleEast that makes zero sense. But onwards and upwards, eh? Just need to keep going!

What might be the case is that you really want to be enjoying yourself at the same time as writing, though any medium you enjoy that uses up your attention is right out.

In my case it's more that I want to control the noises around me. I live with three other adults including my husband in a house next to a busy road (in my whole life I've lived alone for no more than around eighteen months, not all in one stretch) and, as aforementioned, have been writing a fair bit on my commute this week. If someone makes a noise, or when a car makes a noise outside my window (or the train makes a noise while I'm on it), and I've got no music on, that's a bad distraction that throws me out of what I'm doing. If I already have a piece of music on in the background my ears are focused on the music instead of the rest, so anything else is a whole lot less annoying and can basically be ignored while I work.

DenysJelmazmo - I'm screwed then, as I'm trying to sell several books I've talked about a whole lot here. :p

Found I had a stack of writing paper at home, which was great. Onwards and upwards. Still sitting on 6000 words as I spent the commute chatting to a client after we did a press pass, and breaking off to write would have been hard to explain.

Wait. I read it's just spewing. But the site seems to want a real novel, with a plot, conflict and characters who interact and talk to each other. Don't people say that's just crap and I die of embarrassment?

4 hours later.

I wrote 2500 words. It's probably shite, but that was fun.

I need something that my brain can read as white noise. Music I get too invested in, so that doesn't work, plus I want to sing along and get super into it (even if there are no words). Any new tv or movies won't work, cause I end up watching them, but usually if it is quiet I space out or get jumpy about the little noises in my apartment, which distracts me even more. And being around people is the worst, cause I end up listening to all their conversations or getting way too distracted whenever someone moves in my field of vision.

So my solution has been putting on tv I have seen before (thank you Netflix) or, oddly, putting on Ocean's 11, which always seems to increase my productivity tenfold.

Wow, I'm surprised that works for you. I tried that once, but every now I would type what the actors were saying, or mixing it up with my own stuff.

Wow, I'm surprised that works for you. I tried that once, but every now I would type what the actors were saying, or mixing it up with my own stuff.

I'm surprised too! I think it's because if I know it well enough my brain can tune it right out. But I think I'm gonna try a coffee shop again today cause I was bad and let myself get too distracted by the internet while writing yesterday and I know a place that cuts off their wireless on the weekends. :/

I'm so annoyed, I should have started at the beginning of November as I have had a long story brewing away in my head for about a year now but it's too late to start now, and I really have barely any free time outside of Work, University and Studying. :(

How much would I need to write every day to make the 50k?

I'm surprised too! I think it's because if I know it well enough my brain can tune it right out. But I think I'm gonna try a coffee shop again today cause I was bad and let myself get too distracted by the internet while writing yesterday and I know a place that cuts off their wireless on the weekends. :/

:laugh: :laugh: Whatever it takes, right? What I do is turn writing into a habit come hell or high water, that way if I miss one day I feel bad, like I'm neglecting a pet or something, and then I don't do it again (in theory).

Ah, NaNoWriMo. Weird shit always happens. I inadvertently introduced a love interest the other day. Now this love interest has turned out to have some history with the character's mother. And now there is a whole backstory I was not prepared for and is moving towards the trope of "bad stuff happened in the past and is resurfacing again." NaNo Novel, this was NOT what I had in mind. Not at all.

Archived