Marvel Netflix - Daredevil, Iron Fist etc.

red snow

So I know practically nothing about Jessica Jones but as I understand it she's a retired superhero right? I wonder how they'll work that into a universe where Superheroing has only been a thing for about 6 or 7 years and every superhero so far has been contacted by SHIELD.

So I know practically nothing about Jessica Jones but as I understand it she's a retired superhero right? I wonder how they'll work that into a universe where Superheroing has only been a thing for about 6 or 7 years and every superhero so far has been contacted by SHIELD.

She used to have a crush on spider-man too, i think (or was in his class). Iron Man has been around for 6 years, the Hulk for at least a couple more years and there were super soldiers in the WWII. She could have been an undercover superhero for SHIELD and her career will have been short. I'll be interested to see how closely they follow her origin as it could make for an interesting but extremely dark first season. Certainly far darker than anything Marvel has made so far. If we see a casting for Purple Man we'll know they are probably covering her comic origin. The other thing most people know about the character is that she will do anything for Luke Cage.

She used to have a crush on spider-man too, i think (or was in his class). Iron Man has been around for 6 years, the Hulk for at least a couple more years and there were super soldiers in the WWII. She could have been an undercover superhero for SHIELD and her career will have been short. I'll be interested to see how closely they follow her origin as it could make for an interesting but extremely dark first season. Certainly far darker than anything Marvel has made so far. If we see a casting for Purple Man we'll know they are probably covering her comic origin. The other thing most people know about the character is that she will do anything for Luke Cage.

Undercover SHIELD superhero could work, maybe as some sort of failed precursor to The Avengers Initiative. They could link it to Hank Pym maybe, like say if he was also a part of that? Also I assume her romance with Cage will be a major part of the Defenders miniseries.

I'm glad to see Charlie Cox is starting to make waves. He was ace in Stardust, and I was quite surprised when that wasn't built on (especially since Matthew Vaughn seems to be one of the best star-makers in the business, in general).

Yeah, I think Arrow does very well with the action on a TV budget, but it also shows that the non-action parts can drag the show down. Luckily they've mostly fixed that for the moment.

I know this is from November, but I think the one thing that Daredevil will have going for it is the length of season and being on Netflix. Arrow, unfortunately, has too many episodes (13 episode concise season with Deathstroke as big bad would be amazing) and is on CW therefore they need to keep adding stupid, boring, cliche relationship drama to reach their quota for the year.

As for Charlie Cox as Daredevil, let me just add to the chorus and say I like it. I know nothing about Daredevil (as I know nothing about any comics other than what I learn from you guys) but I liked Cox in Stardust and think he's an excellent actor.

Undercover SHIELD superhero could work, maybe as some sort of failed precursor to The Avengers Initiative. They could link it to Hank Pym maybe, like say if he was also a part of that? Also I assume her romance with Cage will be a major part of the Defenders miniseries.

That'd be neat. Unless Edgar Wright's departure changes anything, Scott Lang would be the Ant Man joining the Avengers 3, so Marvel could decide to do a Hank Pym series on Netflix. Hank Pym, Agent Carter, Howard Stark and Jessica Jones intersecting plotlines, perhaps?

That'd be neat. Unless Edgar Wright's departure changes anything, Scott Lang would be the Ant Man joining the Avengers 3, so Marvel could decide to do a Hank Pym series on Netflix. Hank Pym, Agent Carter, Howard Stark and Jessica Jones intersecting plotlines, perhaps?

The only problem is that Jessica isn't as old as that lot, but there's plenty of delayed ageing in the comics as well I guess. Another option would be to take Luke Cage down the SHIELD route and make Jessica an Inhuman.

One question. Will this all start to get repetitive? So many superhero shows, movies...are we soon going to burn out on it? Feels like there are only so many stories that can be told and so many of the superheroes seem to be modeled off of ones we've seen countless times. Just worried nothing will feel fresh.

One question. Will this all start to get repetitive? So many superhero shows, movies...are we soon going to burn out on it? Feels like there are only so many stories that can be told and so many of the superheroes seem to be modeled off of ones we've seen countless times. Just worried nothing will feel fresh.

I used to think this too but recently I've realised that Superhero is a genre in it's own right and now I'm much more optimistic about the trend continuing. I mean no one is asking when romance films are going to stop being made, or fantasy films, or sci-fi films. I think the only real problem with the genre at the moment compared to others is that two companies have a near complete monopoly on it. But as these films continue to be popular that may well change. I mean I've got plenty of superhero ideas, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It just a few new people to move into the market.

It's almost getting repetitive hearing this question. Don't mean to sound a dick as you probably don't know how often the question is asked. I think it'll work until there are a lot of crappy shows/films that make the franchise toxic. Ghost Rider isn't enough to stop the fun so it'd have to be a string of flops for producers to think viewers were worn out.

It's like wondering if cop shows will grow stale - they've been on air for decades. Same law based shows. There are peaks and troughs but they've never disappeared. I think there's enough within the superhero genre to keep them going for a long while. I think people just think "westerns" and seem to believe the same is true for any other genre that enjoys massive success. In reality "westerns" were the anomaly.

Or to be more specific, it's the comic book movie genre. I don't have the energy to look it up, but I think the studios are spending probably half of their yearly budget on these films these days. Nothing like the amount of money (percentage-wise) spent on Westerns in their heyday, but it does seem that we have a new genre, or epoch at play here. Like the Western age, it won't last forever, and once DC and Marvel wriggle all the money out of their franchises, there likely will be a longish decline, where a greater amount of lower quality films will be made alongside a sparser contingent of high quality, lesser-known comic book films. I'm more looking forward to what Hollywood does with the fantasy novel genre, non-JRRT/GRRM/JKRowling. I've always thought that some of Gemmell's novels would translate well on screen, for instance.

I think if they keep rebooting the origin stories like with Spiderman (and soon Fantastic Four) it will get abandoned by the audience. Anyone else expecting F4 to flop massively?

How the studio handles the characters when the original actors move on will say a lot.

I think if they keep rebooting the origin stories like with Spiderman (and soon Fantastic Four) it will get abandoned by the audience. Anyone else expecting F4 to flop massively?

How the studio handles the characters when the original actors move on will say a lot.

I think F4 will be a financial success but a critical failure and I'm expecting the same from Dawn of Justice. I seriously hope these MCU wannabes don't run the genre into the ground. There's still so much more potential.

It's almost getting repetitive hearing this question. Don't mean to sound a dick as you probably don't know how often the question is asked. I think it'll work until there are a lot of crappy shows/films that make the franchise toxic. Ghost Rider isn't enough to stop the fun so it'd have to be a string of flops for producers to think viewers were worn out.

It's like wondering if cop shows will grow stale - they've been on air for decades. Same law based shows. There are peaks and troughs but they've never disappeared. I think there's enough within the superhero genre to keep them going for a long while. I think people just think "westerns" and seem to believe the same is true for any other genre that enjoys massive success. In reality "westerns" were the anomaly.

No offense taken given I didn't participate in most of those discussions. I get your point but the scale of the superhero expansion is monstrous. It doesn't compare to Law & Order, The Good Wife, The Practice, Boston Legal, ect, when there was maybe 5-7 law shows on at any given time. Then think about the failure of the many law shows that tried to repeat. Now, we have The Good Wife, L&O and ? How many movies lately have had a plot around a courtroom? Same with pure cop shows. These tend to crop up often, especially on CBS, but a large number fail (as we saw with Almost Human, Life, The Unusuals, Unforgettable, ect) plus there aren't a ton of movies around them. Think about when medical shows were the flavor of the month after ER/Grey's Anatomy. How many have failed lately? Pretty much all of them.

I get that superheroes are the new thing. But when you have Arrow, Flash, Gotham, AoS + 5 on Netflix, you're already talking about 8 on TV, then you have what seems to be 2-3 movies a year and I just wonder if they're over saturating the market. I don't for a second believe that superhero shows/movies will fall out of fashion anytime soon, but if they continue on this path, it might be sooner than we think.

Anyway, won't discuss it anymore if it's been discussed ad nauseum.

Anyway, won't discuss it anymore if it's been discussed ad nauseum.

nah, it's cool you're bringing up some interesting cases. I had a post earlier that got deleted my by work laptop being stupid but I'll go over it again.

I think a big part of superhero boom is also to do with timing/technology. It's not just that they can finally do justice to it in terms of SFX but also because it's relatively cheap to have an almost cinema like set up in your own home. This is why TV has become the place for "proper" drama and film-making and why it's almost extinct at the cinema. If we want to watch 4 hours of Breaking Bad we can do so at home - it's cheaper and more convenient and it'll look great.

OScar worthy films - you get as much from watching it on a good TV as you would at the cinema and (based on UK prices) I can buy a blu-ray of a film for the same price as a cinema ticket. For couple's/family the choice is probably even simpler.

So cinema is becoming the home for larger than life action adventure. It's no wonder Hollywood is pumping so much money into super-heroes. But it's not just super-heroes. Star Wars, the Hobbit, Transformers, Avatar all have the fact that seeing them on a giant screen is something that still can't be replicated at home (unless you have a lot of cash). So I wouldn't say it's just super-heroes but that genre in itself fits so well with big screen action,

In terms of flooding the market, I really think it's more of a threat for the likes of Marvel who want to interweave everything, At some point people will become exhausted and if they are too inter-dependent people will stop watching all of them as opposed to just some of them. Pretty much the problem with Marvel comics where it survives off "events" that make you buy multiple titles to understand what's happening.

Super hero films that stick to themselves or are sufficiently different should still fare well. To be fair to Marvel besides their sequels all the films have had their own flavour and Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be sticking to this approach. In terms of the TV show I really hope that each of the four shows have their own distinct flavour because if they aren't it'll be very dull.

My main gripe with the medium invading TV is that it'll swamp out all the other excellent types of drama. I don't think it will as TV and film have very different demographics. It's not impossible though when you consider "Walking dead" is a comic (but not superhero show too). Even if that did happen it'd still be preferable to a decade ago when it seemed reality TV had destroyed TV.

She used to have a crush on spider-man too, i think (or was in his class).

Both, she was in Peter Parker's class and had a crush on him (as Peter Parker, not Spider-Man), but went into the coma giving her powers before she said anything. But that makes me wonder how TV/internet rights for some of the Sony/Fox characters figure into Netflix? The greater Marvel cinematic universe is ignoring mutants, so any X-Men stuff probably would have to be handled circumspectly, but could these street-level, NYC-based characters see Spider-Man swinging by?

Both, she was in Peter Parker's class and had a crush on him (as Peter Parker, not Spider-Man), but went into the coma giving her powers before she said anything. But that makes me wonder how TV/internet rights for some of the Sony/Fox characters figure into Netflix? The greater Marvel cinematic universe is ignoring mutants, so any X-Men stuff probably would have to be handled circumspectly, but could these street-level, NYC-based characters see Spider-Man swinging by?

Probably not worth the risk although tv is a grey area as they can use all their properties in animation as long as it isn't released in the cinema. I'm guessing it includes live action on TV though - otherwise there'd be spidey and x-men on netflix rather than the defenders.

I was reading Jessica Jone's wiki entry. Bendis really went to town on connecting her to pretty much every Marvel franchise. Bit of a headache when they can't use them all but a fairly easy fix in most cases. she can have a crush on Matt Murdock as a teen for instance.

I think the line-up is fine in terms of demographics as Daredevil is also blind.

You do know women make up half the population, right? 1/6 Avengers and 1/4 Defenders isn't exactly well-balanced.

Archived