Aussies: Even an American Can Start a Thread About Them

MercenaryChef

Cider can do the same thing sadly. I will soldier on for the greater good!

Also fuck this weather with it's sudden downpours that thoroughly soak you in the tiny walk between the station and work.

Naturally I will be attending. I do enjoy Red Oak's beers...though the crowd/atmosphere is kind of underwhelming (read: no attractive males for me to glance wistfully at).

See you guys tomorrow!

Oh and what did people make of the Brandis "right to be bigots" comment, and the reforms more generally? I'm not as alarmed as most of the left-leaning media, but the whole affair was a bit icky.

The way it's reported it felt like he was saying "it's OK to be a bigot" which I think does reflect, if not his personal views, an acknowledgement that the Liberals do their fair share of pandering to that demographic. If it was a strictly legalistic argument that sounded like he actually disapproved of it, "as distasteful as it is, it's not illegal to be a bigot" I think he'd probably be on sounder footing. For all I know that's just a result of the way it's being reported, but everything else this week that's followed doesn't help that interpretation. Nor does the proposed amendment to 18C.

Maybe we need to start recruiting cute guys into the Sydney bwb? Have a 'bring along an attractive friend for Pax' night? :p

My biggest problem with the reforms is not actually the law itself but the message it sends. It doesn't seem like it makes a huge difference either way if the law exists (it was hardly used often anyway) but the act of repealing it will certainly be taken by some as saying 'it's ok to say these things' rather than 'we don't think saying this stuff should be illegal'

Saying it isn't illegal to be a bigot is still strawmanning when 18C and D don't criminalise anything.

and yeah, count me in.

All true, I'm letting Friday afternoon district me from the fullness of the dickery.

My biggest problem with the reforms is not actually the law itself but the message it sends. It doesn't seem like it makes a huge difference either way if the law exists (it was hardly used often anyway) but the act of repealing it will certainly be taken by some as saying 'it's ok to say these things' rather than 'we don't think saying this stuff should be illegal'

I think it's terrible that the Libs would go out of their way to change something that is working adequately, as an act of "revenge" because one of their mates got slapped on the wrist for publishing some vile slander.

Maybe we need to start recruiting cute guys into the Sydney bwb? Have a 'bring along an attractive friend for Pax' night? :p

Any Sydney bwbers have a friend who looks like Trent Cotchin? I'm sure Pax would appreciate that :p

When I texted TWS at 9:50pm 'Are you guys still at Red Oak', I meant are you there or have you moved on to another drinking establishment? I never expected the response 'Nope we've all gone home'! There are standards to uphold in a BWB meet!!

Sorry to have missed you all!

Ha ha despite the early finish I had a great night.

We were talking about Anzac day weekend for the next meet. How does that work for everyone else?

So, two things.

WA senate re-election tomorrow. I'm going to a fancy dress tomorrow night as a generic Sons of Anarchy club member. Should I turn up at the booth in costume?

Second thing - my new av is further proof that we are NOT trolling tourists about a certain species of predatory fauna.

Archived