Tyrells Vs Lannisters

JTS

Who would win in all out war, The Tyrell army or the Lannister army? List your reasoning after you vote. Example: The Tyrell army would win because they have the largest army, plenty of supplies and food, good infrastructure (Rose Road etc) large naval fleet (ex: Hightowers, and Redwynes) On the other Hand the Lannister armies of the westerlands are known to be well trained, they also have a large naval fleet, and have tons of money.

try to keep insults to a minimum please.

Who would win in all out war, The Tyrell army or the Lannister army? List your reasoning after you vote. Example: The Tyrell army would win because they have the largest army, plenty of supplies and food, good infrastructure (Rose Road etc) large naval fleet (ex: Hightowers, and Redwynes) On the other Hand the Lannister armies of the westerlands are known to be well trained, they also have a large naval fleet, and have tons of money.

try to keep insults to a minimum please.

The tyrells, they have a huge army and loyalty to Mace is not built on fear, mot the lords are his cousins or inlaws. Tyrells can match them in wealth. As to sea power,Euron wants to know how the Lannisters' burnt fleet is doing.

Im assuming this is pre WO5K ? otherwise its a tyrell walkover

Il go with tyrells

we have

numbers : tyrells have superior numbers with both having larger cavalry to troop ratios than most kingdoms due to wealth

wealth : lannisters can hire more freeriders and mercs but prob not by a massive margin

strategy: tywin and tyrion vs tarly and willas

battle winning stars : cleganes (nuff said) and jamie are top tier but the reach has of course randal tarly with that valyrian sword, garlan who trains in nothing but swordplay and is prob gonna be understimated by anyone he meets due to not taking part in tourneys that we know of and finaly loras.......yep loras not the best swordsman granted but is prob gonna kill anyone he meets on horseback as prob westeros best jouster (insert lance joke here)

politics: the queen of thorns and margery and willas vs tywin kevan and tyrion if they use him for a think tank.

Overall most things seem to balance so il say tyrells due to their adv at sea , more food for sieges etc and sheer numbers.

Tyrell advantages

-More men

-Second largest port in Westeros

-Food

-Easily travel-able land

Tyrell disadvantages

-More easily invade-able land

-Weak leadership (if this is Mace)

Lannister advantages

-Strong leadership. And therefore unity

-Well trained soldiers (I remember reading somewhere that Tywin puts heavy emphasis on training)

-Not so easily invade-able territory

-Large port of their own

-Tons of personal wealth

Lannister disadvantages

-Weaker fleet

-Less men

-Not a great place for food

Overall, the Tyrells numbers might negate Lannister advantages. I say the best chance the Lannisters have is if they play defense, and have the Reach invade the Westerlands. Then maybe they can hold off the forces. But they'd never be able to fight the Reach in the Reach.

Obviously the Tyrells. They are as equally conniving, ruthless and rich, but unlike the Lannisters there is a true unity among the Tyrells. Plus they have a better PR. There is a lovely parallel between the Tyrells and Lannisters. Jaime/Loras = the arrogant kingsguard member. Cersei/Margaery = the gorgeous consort queen. Willas/Tyrion = not so masculine, but intellectual heir.

I'll go against the grain here and say Lannisters.

The Lannisters are the richest family in Westeros. Their army is undoubtedly the best trained and equipped in Westeros and they can easly afford mercenaries and sell sails. They can even buy alliances. The Westerlands can't be attacked over land (unless magic Direwolf) and a naval landing would be a pain in the ass.

Furthermore they are lead by the most ruthless leader around. Thanks to his dealings with the Reynes and the Tarbecks there is no dissent within their ranks. The Tyrells on the other hand are lead by an oaf and command a far less united region. The Hightowers prefer to sit on their asses (even with the marriage ties) and the Florents are always conniving to get back at them.

It also seems that there is great division amongst the other Lords as well and they don't always get their bannermen to listen. During the BF Rebellion Tyrell support went to King Daeron II, but many Reach Houses supported Daemon (this while Leo Longthorn, who seems to have been a formidable fellow was the leader of the House). And during the Dance the Hightowers supported the Greens but many others declared for the Blacks.

A leader like Tywin would exploit that like crazy and I think many Houses could be persuaded or bribed to stay neutral (I imagine that the Lannisters are probably quite fond of Arbor wine, the Redwynes might try to stay out of it for the majority of time) or even switch sides. Now, the war would be long and costly but I do think Tywin would endure. We know the man can take some quite severe beatings and still the faith of his subordinates in him would not falther. Imagine Mace losing a battle or two, I don't think he would get away with that so easliy.

• 2 weeks later...

This comes up a lot on these boards, the Tyrells win without a doubt, there's really no other option. They can field a significantly higher number of men then the Lannisters allowing for the creation of multiple hosts, and they have multiple very effective military leaders to command each one (Tarly, Rowan, Garlan, etc). They have the Redwyne fleet to blockade the entire Westerlands and allow these hosts to be dropped anywhere in the West, and as it's directly stated the west is easily invaded along their entire coast as it is very flat. Every major house of the Reach is going to be pretty loyal since the Tyrells are intermarried with nearly every single one within a generation or two. Their the seconded richest house so unless the Lannisters are putting every gold coin they have on one bribe, the Tyrells can match it. The Reach and the Tyrells really are a kind of "god mode" region in Westeros, unless someone has dragons the Reach is unbeatable.

Is this pre Wo5K or a potential future conflict? Since that matters a great deal. Pre war with Tywin, Kevan, a prime Jamie, Gregor and the Hound still on your side the Lannisters might have an advantage. They can hire sell sails to mitigate the naval threat. The reach has very little natural defences so The Mountain and the Bloody Mummers could reek a lot of havoc. Also Tywin's strategic mind would probably be able to orchestrate some betrayals and alliances. So pretty hard to call but I would say slight advantage for the Westerlands

Post Wo5K I think the Tyrells would essentially destroy what's left of the Lannisters. No Tywin, Jamie is disabled and missing, hound & bloody mummers gone, Gregor dead, Kevan dead, already bloodied by fighting with North and Riverlords. Where as the Reach is untouched by war, all armies still in tact, and Randyll Tarly who is probably the best military commander left in the relm.

Depends on a number of factors.

• Who will be leading the armies? <--- The Biggie
  • Will the war take place mainly in The Westerlands or The Reach? <--- Westerlands defensive bonuses
  • Will it be JUST the Tyrells and the Lannisters? <--- For instance, the possibility of the Baratheons deciding to declare war on the the Tyrells as soon as their levies have been raised and are marching toward Casterly Rock as this has happened in the past
  • Marriage alliances
  • The state of Westeros

Disregarding all of this, probably The Reach. Thing is, The Reach and The Rock have probably been at war countless times in the past, and for all we know the Gardeners haven't managed to take large swaths or even conquer The Westerlands.

I don't really know it is possibly to give a true answer.

I'll go against the grain here and say Lannisters.

The Lannisters are the richest family in Westeros. Their army is undoubtedly the best trained and equipped in Westeros and they can easly afford mercenaries and sell sails. They can even buy alliances. The Westerlands can't be attacked over land (unless magic Direwolf) and a naval landing would be a pain in the ass.

Furthermore they are lead by the most ruthless leader around. Thanks to his dealings with the Reynes and the Tarbecks there is no dissent within their ranks. The Tyrells on the other hand are lead by an oaf and command a far less united region. The Hightowers prefer to sit on their asses (even with the marriage ties) and the Florents are always conniving to get back at them.

It also seems that there is great division amongst the other Lords as well and they don't always get their bannermen to listen. During the BF Rebellion Tyrell support went to King Daeron II, but many Reach Houses supported Daemon (this while Leo Longthorn, who seems to have been a formidable fellow was the leader of the House). And during the Dance the Hightowers supported the Greens but many others declared for the Blacks.

A leader like Tywin would exploit that like crazy and I think many Houses could be persuaded or bribed to stay neutral (I imagine that the Lannisters are probably quite fond of Arbor wine, the Redwynes might try to stay out of it for the majority of time) or even switch sides. Now, the war would be long and costly but I do think Tywin would endure. We know the man can take some quite severe beatings and still the faith of his subordinates in him would not falther. Imagine Mace losing a battle or two, I don't think he would get away with that so easliy.

I agree with this. Tywin could beat them by pure guile, hostages and building alliances. I could easily see him making the Bolton deal with House HIghtower.

I agree with this. Tywin could beat them by pure guile, hostages and building alliances. I could easily see him making the Bolton deal with House HIghtower.

Tyrells I think. Tywin Lannister just doesn't strike me as a good enough commander to counter the disadvantages in terms of troop numbers etc. Mace has got some solid, trusted bannermen and warriors too to lead his armies: Randyll Tarly, Mathis Rowan, Garlan Tyrell etc. As far as I'm aware the current Tyrell army hasn't been beaten in a field battle yet, not even in Robert's Rebellion. So yes Tyrell.

People saying Tywin wins it through guile and alliances are giving Tywin pretty much unfounded leeway.

He beat Robb Stark through such means, but the Freys and Boltons aren't necessarily the Florents and Tarlys.

I'd put money on Olenna vs Tywin every time, and confidently.

The only way i see it not being the Tyrells decisively, is if Dorne or the Stormlands got involved.

Tywin isn't an automatic win card.

Plus the setting matters greatly.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre WoFK: Tyrells win with high difficulty. Numbers, food and navy win the day, but Tywin/Jaime/Gregor aren't going out without bloodying Mace's nose.

Post WoFK: Tyrells steamroll. Their summer knights are all battle hardened after Blackwater, Dragonstone, and the Ironborn raids. The Lannister numbers are diminished and their leadership dead. It would be ugly...

People saying Tywin wins it through guile and alliances are giving Tywin pretty much unfounded leeway.

He beat Robb Stark through such means, but the Freys and Boltons aren't necessarily the Florents and Tarlys.

I'd put money on Olenna vs Tywin every time, and confidently.

The only way i see it not being the Tyrells decisively, is if Dorne or the Stormlands got involved.

Tywin isn't an automatic win card.

Plus the setting matters greatly.

Honestly, if anything Tywin is a hindrance as he has an almost unparallelled skill of making other powerful lords hate him and his family's guts. Thus, likely the Stormlands and Dorne would come to the Tyrell's assistance rather then ally with the Lannisters.

Not to mention how his policies in the Riverlands worked effectively to unite almost all the Riverlands houses together (even the Brakens and Blackwoods) besides the Freys. Thus, if anything he would likely unite the Reach houses behind Mace better then Mace could do on his own.

Archived