What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

I made burritos.

Here is the filling, about halfway through the burrito assembly line (so lots of it is gone). It contains farm-fresh sweet onions and yellow squash, garlic, green bell pepper, minced jalapeño, and black beans. They are seasoned with salt, fresh-ground pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, and a bit of paprika. I also added cheese and diced tomatoes when I assembled them.

http://i.imgur.com/lX3D4bf.jpg

Here is a completed burrito. There are ten of them. I ate one and I am freezing the other nine. I also had some leftover filling and decided I was still hungry after I Saran wrapped and freezer bagged the remaining burritos, so I put half of it on a spare hamburger bun (I made 4 portobello burgers and have 8 buns) and ate it as a sandwich. I will likely do that again tomorrow, although mostly these burritos are meant to be grab-and-go lunches for the work week. I charred the flour tortillas a bit in a dry skillet before wrapping. If you do this, be careful not to char too long lest they become too inflexible to wrap and just break and dump the contents of your burrito everywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/suCGHMo.jpg

I made burritos.

Here is the filling, about halfway through the burrito assembly line (so lots of it is gone). It contains farm-fresh sweet onions and yellow squash, garlic, green bell pepper, minced jalapeño, and black beans. They are seasoned with salt, fresh-ground pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, and a bit of paprika. I also added cheese and diced tomatoes when I assembled them.

http://i.imgur.com/lX3D4bf.jpg

Here is a completed burrito. There are ten of them. I ate one and I am freezing the other nine. I also had some leftover filling and decided I was still hungry after I Saran wrapped and freezer bagged the remaining burritos, so I put half of it on a spare hamburger bun (I made 4 portobello burgers and have 8 buns) and ate it as a sandwich. I will likely do that again tomorrow, although mostly these burritos are meant to be grab-and-go lunches for the work week. I charred the flour tortillas a bit in a dry skillet before wrapping. If you do this, be careful not to char too long lest they become too inflexible to wrap and just break and dump the contents of your burrito everywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/suCGHMo.jpg

You forgot the cow tongue or at least the face meat. (barbacoa)

The remaining portobello burgers last night, along with some sauteed zucchini with tarragon. I've had my jar of tarragon for months but I think this is the first time I've used it. It was awesome with the zucchini.

http://i.imgur.com/s8GcLy6.jpg

I always keep tarragon on hand. It's wonderful crumbled up in scrambled eggs. I grow my own and dry it for the winter so I've always got some available.

It's also great to season vinegar for salads. Another recipe I've got for barbecue sauce calls for tarragon vinegar. It's the barbecue sauce they use at this place in Cincinnati called Montgomery Inn. I got hooked on the stuff when I used to live there.

I always keep tarragon on hand. It's wonderful crumbled up in scrambled eggs. I grow my own and dry it for the winter so I've always got some available.

It's also great to season vinegar for salads. Another recipe I've got for barbecue sauce calls for tarragon vinegar. It's the barbecue sauce they use at this place in Cincinnati called Montgomery Inn. I got hooked on the stuff when I used to live there.

Oo I'll try that. I usually put chives in my scrambled eggs.

Everything I have ever put chives in has been delicious. It's only been a few things, and there has been no deeper theoretical thought to it than "I bet chives would be good in this." I've always been right so far. Maybe chives are just good in everything.

Oo I'll try that. I usually put chives in my scrambled eggs.

Everything I have ever put chives in has been delicious. It's only been a few things, and there has been no deeper theoretical thought to it than "I bet chives would be good in this." I've always been right so far. Maybe chives are just good in everything.

Heh. I use chives in just about everything too, especially in the spring and summer when they're fresh. I like them so well that I'll use the dried when I don't have fresh. I particularly like them in mac and cheese.

Tarragon is a natural accompaniment to chicken too.

I just made a killer cherry cobbler. Yummmmm.

Cherries! :drool:

I made banana nut muffins, but I'd rather have cherry cobbler. :(

ETA: I have a recipe for mini amaretto/cherry muffins that calls for a single whole cherry, with stem, planted right in the middle of it.

The peaches and nectarines have been particularly good this year. I'd like to make something with them while they're around.

Chives in eggs is an outstanding move that should be pursued much more rigorously by our society, In fact, I would fully support government subsidies toward this aim.

When I'm feeling particularly decadent, I'll make scrambled eggs with a bit of cream cheese whipped into them, snipped chive, and at the end, slice up some lox into it. Heaven. Really good lox are wunderbar!

Ha ha, Ini, I'm glad to hear you've taken to chives!

Rocksniffer is in Maine and was tormenting me with the stories of the chowder house he was going off to, so I made Maritime seafood chowder yesterday: halibut, clams, lobster, mussels, shrimp, scallops, potatoes, cream, half and half, clam juice, onions, celery, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper...am I forgetting anything? Had some crab to throw in as well, but the chowdah was thick enough already.

And bloody delicious.

ETA: I knew I was forgetting something. Bacon. Bacon is necessary. Essential.

Ha ha, Ini, I'm glad to hear you've taken to chives!

Rocksniffer is in Maine and was tormenting me with the stories of the chowder house he was going off to, so I made Maritime seafood chowder yesterday: halibut, clams, lobster, mussels, shrimp, scallops, potatoes, cream, half and half, clam juice, onions, celery, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper...am I forgetting anything? Had some crab to throw in as well, but the chowdah was thick enough already.

And bloody delicious.

Sounds like Sister's Stew. Ser Davos would approve. :cheers:

Archived