What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

What can I do with 1 cup quantities of vegetable stock? I don't really make stock because I don't use it much at all, and recipes always seem to call 3 cups or 7 cups and the boxes are always 4 cups.

After working out or sweating like crazy, the salt in chilled veggie broth really hits the spot sometimes. Seriously.

What can I do with 1 cup quantities of vegetable stock? I don't really make stock because I don't use it much at all, and recipes always seem to call 3 cups or 7 cups and the boxes are always 4 cups.

purchased stock has no place in a civilized person's home. a proper stock meat or vegetable is the backbone for proper cooking. it is a simple enough task that one should never ever buy a stock or broth.

While I normally have containers of frozen stock in my fridge, sometimes, ya know, you run out. :P

Yeah. I would love to only use my own stocks all the time, but the convenience of the store bought stuff wins out on occasion. Usually if I make a chicken or something I already have plans for the stock (like soup).

purchased stock has no place in a civilized person's home. a proper stock meat or vegetable is the backbone for proper cooking. it is a simple enough task that one should never ever buy a stock or broth.

:( I almost never use it and it seems like a lot of hassle and vegetables to make something I don't use much.

So I smoked country style pork ribs for supper tonight. They are just finishing and I am excited to eat them but the real deal is this chicken jerky I made since the smoker was going anyhow. I got a bunch of chicken tenderloins from the local butcher for really cheap(1.69 a pound) a few weeks ago and decided to make some jerky with a couple pounds. It is freaking awesome. One of the best meat morsel I have ever made.

Also made a pork roast in smoker to use in the aforementioned green chilli in a couple days. Pretty excited to try my hand at that as well.

Finally attempted my first green chilli and it was great. Used about 25 anaheim chillis fresh from the garden that I roasted on the grill and a pork roast that I had smoked a few days ago. Also threw in a couple jalapenos and garden salsa and it had just the right amount of bite. This is something I will certainly make in the future. Sorry MC, I could not find any fresh tomatillos so I used fresh tomatoes from our garden. It wasn't as green then, but was still delicious. I have not used tomatillos in the past, but if they have many uses maybe we will plant some next year.

Last night was at my brothers and he smoked a couple pork tenderloins. Perfectly cooked, tender, juicy, and wonderful.

Got cucumbers coming out of my ears from my garden and made a couple awesome recipes with them.

1) Cucumber-gin lemonade. 5 lemons hand squeezed, 1/2 cup of sugar, mix then add 4 cups of water and steep for an hour with 1 sliced cucumber. Add a .750ml of your favorite gin and serve over ice. Delicious, but dangerous. Went through WAY too much gin this weekend :)

2) Cut up a loaf of French bread, buttered and garlic salted the pieces before broiling for 10 minutes. Made a cream cheese with dill, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes all to taste, then topped each of the pieces with the cream cheese mixture, diced up roma tomatoes, and two slices of cucumber. It was so good we are having it again tonight.

Archived