What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

Got cucumbers coming out of my ears from my garden and made a couple awesome recipes with them.

1) Cucumber-gin lemonade. 5 lemons hand squeezed, 1/2 cup of sugar, mix then add 4 cups of water and steep for an hour with 1 sliced cucumber. Add a .750ml of your favorite gin and serve over ice. Delicious, but dangerous. Went through WAY too much gin this weekend :)

2) Cut up a loaf of French bread, buttered and garlic salted the pieces before broiling for 10 minutes. Made a cream cheese with dill, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes all to taste, then topped each of the pieces with the cream cheese mixture, diced up roma tomatoes, and two slices of cucumber. It was so good we are having it again tonight.

Yah, they are going crazy. Anymore useful recipes for cucumbers would be much appreciated. I have even been throwing them in my smoothies and the other night, when drunk, I forced myself to eat a whole one rather than grab junk food.

Yah, they are going crazy. Anymore useful recipes for cucumbers would be much appreciated. I have even been throwing them in my smoothies and the other night, when drunk, I forced myself to eat a whole one rather than grab junk food.

Yep!

1) Infuse some gin w/ a sliced cucumber and some zest of a lemon. Put a .500ml of gin in a glass container w/ 1-2 cucumbers and a slice of zest, put in the fridge and shake vigorously once a day for 4 days. Serve w/ soda water or ginger ale over ice.

2) Salsa - seeded & diced cucumber, pablanos or similar diced green peppers (2-3), a can of corn, 1-2 diced tomatoes, cilantro. Mix in a bowl and eat w/ chips.

3) Simple cucumber vinegar salad: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/adriennes-cucumber-salad/

4) cucumber, tomato & cream cheese sandwiches - flavor up the cream cheese as you see fit (or buy it pre-seasoned) and optionally toast the bread

5) Asian spinach & cucumber salad (I added chicken and crunchy noodles too!) http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2469

Can of corn. Can of peas.

This. This is dinner for me.

Sounds tasty, actually. Sometimes when my SO is out of town, I'll open a can of lima beans and a can of sweet corn and have me some succotash. Gourmet it is not, but it's quick and I like it.

While I've never made it myself. I believe one can add quite some cucumber in Gazpacho.

Tonight I made Inigima's Brazilian mango stew. I tried it out last week while visiting with family, and I liked it so much I went for it again with the missus. It's fairly cheap, it's easy, it's healthy, and it's goddamn delicious.

We had it with a nice steak, and ended up making little fajita type things.

And Ini, good call. Sriracha really makes that shit.

Tonight I made Inigima's Brazilian mango stew. I tried it out last week while visiting with family, and I liked it so much I went for it again with the missus. It's fairly cheap, it's easy, it's healthy, and it's goddamn delicious.

We had it with a nice steak, and ended up making little fajita type things.

And Ini, good call. Sriracha really makes that shit.

Now I have to make this tonight.

Home made chips, steak and salad. I have also made and frozen chirizo and rookwurst lentils. Baked banana cake and made my boys stawberry and chocolate layered jelly.

Had a fun day keeping myself busy and not think about smoking with lots and lots of cooking. I'll probably do it all over again tomorrow. lol

Even though it is still summer the weather pretends it is autumn. So a perfect day for mustard soup.

Basically a roux based soup flavoured with mustard, served with bacon. Yum.

Nuts Ini! I'm sure you have leftovers, do the cornbread next time.

Thanks to aceluby's advice on the cooking thread, we had fettuccine alfredo and the sauce was creamy and delicious. Sides were pork chops, green salad with a remoulade dressing and a chocolate carmel cake. It's my son's 18th birthday, so of course he went to bed before dinner was ready. Big night for him yesterday. Looks like we'll eat the cake for breakfast.

The remoulade came out...ok. This is my third or fourth attempt and I haven't found a recipe I'm thrilled with yet. This one had too much mustard and horseradish. I love both, but I got a bit carried away.

Archived