What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

No I made less than I would normally because hubby wasn't home but somehow still added enough salt and curry powder for double the quantity. Or else they would have loved it. I must admit (sadly) even I found it a bit too salty and curry-ish. But oh well I'm usually a decent cook so tomorrow night shall be better (fingers crossed)

Lamb Burgers:

Patties (ground lamb + bread crumbs + Northwood Fire seasoning + Onion Steak Burger seasoning + Rogan Josh seasonng)

+

Cheese (Cheddar + Munster)

+

Bun

Also took the liquified lamb fat and drizzled it into some left over linguine + italian sausage + yellow bell peppers.

For people who don't like or think they don't like the flavor of lamb, lamb burgers are an exceptional vehicle for appealing to many. I make a gyro out of ground lamb that my wife loves. She likes lamb chops as well but not roasts. Lamb chops serve as proof that god loves us.

BBQ, which side of the fence do people fall on when it comes to BBQing? sit down and eat it as a meal, or get wasted and eat everything as it comes off the grill barely cooked and riddled with all sorts of nasty diseases?

I made soup, sort of based on Caldo Verde but without the potatoes. And the sausage. That's why it's sort of. :p

But also so that I could have some handy meals in the fridge and to use up half a head of cabbage. I diced and softened in olive oil a Spanish onion and a couple of cloves of garlic, added a pound of lean ground pork (next time I will use either Portuguese or Spanish sausage, maybe with some diced pork), browned it, then added a can of low salt vegetable broth (because I had it), a couple of cups of my home made chicken broth that I had in the freezer, my half head of cabbage, shredded, and most of a bunch of kale that I had ripped from the stems and roughly chopped. I wanted this soup to be low sodium (as I am trying to reduce my sodium intake) so I used some no-salt seasoning mixes I have and then just added a small amount of salt.

The problem with the sausage is that sausage tends to be very salty. I suppose I could use pork and add a small amount of sausage and then leave out any additional salt.

Caldo Verde recipes call for diced potatoes, but this soup is delicious even without them. :)

Asian Chicken Salad

Chicken breasts marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed ginger, garlic - and either baked or simmered until done, then chopped into cubes.

Placed on a bed of salad greens of your choice, along with chopped green onion, some coarsely chopped water chestnuts, mandarin orange slices, shredded carrot, and steamed then chilled sugar snap peas.

Garnished with your choice of:

more green onion,

cilantro

toasted sliced almonds

fried noodles (the crunchy things you get in the store.)

This is probably very un-Asian-like. :P But we love it. I generally serve it with some lightly toasted Italian bread, just to satisfy my husband.

I've got a shit-ton of sugar snap peas in the fridge, my plants having produced like mad lately. I use a lot of them when I make Seafood Lo Mein, but I probably won't have time for that this week. Just steaming them and serving as a side dish is probably good too, but does anyone know of any other more tasty ways to serve them?

ETA: Oh, for cryin' out loud. I forgot the dressing. I used to use a store-bought "Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing" mix that was absolutely to die for, but since I've moved back to the Midwest, I can't find it. Now I make my own. I haven't really settled on a recipe I like as well, though. Generally it involves rice wine vinegar, honey or brown sugar, toasted sesame oil, canola oil, sesame seeds, sometimes I'll throw in some chili/garlic sauce or hoisin sauce depending on my mood.

I really wish I could find that old mix, though. It was da bomb.

ETA2: At least I know what the brand was - Noh.

BBQ, which side of the fence do people fall on when it comes to BBQing? sit down and eat it as a meal, or get wasted and eat everything as it comes off the grill barely cooked and riddled with all sorts of nasty diseases?

There is a time and place for both. My brother has a smoker at his house and the second option seems to reign supreme there. The meal style one is more appropriate for family gatherings.

Archived