The Jon and Dany are Twins Theory

I think this theory ranks as fairly crackpot, but I earnestly believe it and I’m curious about how much support it has.

The evidence:

No Lemon Trees In Braavos: Dany remembers growing up in Braavos in a house with a red door and a lemon tree outside the window. Then Arya’s chapters emphasize that there are no lemon trees in Braavos. This inconsistency is clearly intentional, and calls into question Dany’s early childhood. There are probably many regions capable of growing lemons, but George has only emphasized Dorne for being famous for lemons. The evidence points towards Dany having spent her early childhood in Dorne.

Jon got all of the Stark looks: What happened to his Targaryen genes? Could they have been taken by his twin?

Ashara Dayne: The story of Ashara leaping into the sea is widely disbelieved among readers. Some believe she is Septa Lemore, some believe she is Quaith, some believe she is mother to Jojen and Meera Reed. What we do know is that she went missing soon after the events at the Tower of Joy.

Darkstar: Doran Martell calls Gerold Dayne the most dangerous man in Dorne. Darkstar’s inability to kill a little girl at close range reveals that Doran was clearly not talking about his fighting ability.

The Theory:

Ned burst into the Tower of Joy to find Lyanna had given birth to twins. She makes him promise to keep them safe before she dies. One twin looks completely Stark and one looks completely Targaryen. Ned can raise the Stark-looking baby as his own, but he needs someone else to raise the Targaryen-looking baby.

At Starfell Ned enlists the help of Ashara Dayne. Her purple eyes mean that she can raise the Targaryen-looking baby as her own. She is, however, well known, and if she had been pregnant it would have been common knowledge. Thus she must discard the identity of Ashara Dayne, so we have the story about her jumping into the sea.

Instead, Ashara Dayne joins the household of her relative Gerold Dayne. Baby Dany is raised in Dorne for a while, until they find a way of making her a legitimate Targaryen without fomenting war between Robert (sworn to kill all Targaryens) and Ned (honor bound to defend his niece.) Thus Dany is shipped off to be Visery’s “sister.” Notice how Ned does everything in his power to stop her assassination.

What do you think? Can you come up with any holes in this theory?

Well, considering Rhaella fled when she was pregnant and died giving birth to Dany afterwards for which Viserys never forgave Dany, then I would have to say no, I don't buy it.

GRRM confiremd that they were born 9 months apart.

This. Specifically said by GRRM that they were born 8 to 9 months apart.

Also, this:

Jon got all of the Stark looks: What happened to his Targaryen genes? Could they have been taken by his twin?

Is totally not how genetics works.

As to the lemon trees: they had money, and seem likely to have been protected by friendship with the Sealord of Braavos of that time. As rich people liked to do in history, placing pots with exotic plants (in this case the lemon tree) in your house, is completely normal. And so a lemon tree ended up in Braavos.

The edges don't line up. Instead of trying to force the piece into the puzzle, you could simply say "I have the wrong piece".

true that. I understand this theory is crackpot, but so many pieces fit together. Is it that much of a stretch to believe George gave a statement that was technically true but misleading?

To Rhaenys: a kid receiving physical traits from solely one parent is also not how genetics works in the real world. These novels are not the real world.

To Greek Wisher: 0 is closer to 9 than 12.

true that. I understand this theory is crackpot, but so many pieces fit together. Is it that much of a stretch to believe George gave a statement that was technically true but misleading?

To Rhaenys: a kid receiving physical traits from solely one parent is also not how genetics works in the real world. These novels are not the real world.

Even Jon didn't get all of his traits from Lyanna. Physically, he is tall, slender and quick...he's also quiet, sullen and contemplative personality-wise. All of those are Rhaegar's traits. So even Jon didn't get all of his traits from one parent.

Personally I prefer the the exact same theory but with Dany replaced with Aegon. We know very little about how old he is or exactly when he might have been born. I think it is possible that Jon and Aegon were born around the same time, which would make the twins theory possible. Everyone thinks he is fake but I think that a "mummer's dragon" is still a dragon. It just belongs to a mummer (Varys). Although in the above link it appears that GRRM hints that Ashara left Starfall at some point, and I can't think of why that would happen. Based on his answer it seems that the fact that she left Starfall is an important detail.

Who says that Jon has nothing of his father in him? Robb was also said to look like Catelyn, but when he was leading his army, Catelyn remarks how much he suddenly looked like Ned.

Also, when looking at the timeline, and he turning of he year, you can actually see that Jon was born in 283AC a while before years end and Dany multiple months into 284AC.

Wait. They need a woman with Targaryan features to pretend to be Dany's mother, so they pick house Dayne, but because it's too hard to fake a pregnancy, Ashara Dayne fakes her suicide, then re-appears at the court of another member of her family, so that Dany can be passed off as a Dayne-bastard.

One step in this plan is clearly superflous.

However, I do have to point something out: The lemon trees are really interesting. I never noticed that. But if Arya really explicitely points out that there are no lemons in Braavos, and yet they feature quite prominently in Dany's memories, that seems odd, and may be deliberate. It makes no sense for her to be Jon's twin or not Rhaella's daughter, but maybe there is some merit to the idea that she didn't live in Braavos back then.

Oh damn, the evidence is starting to stack against me. I guess it's time to resort to semantics.

A difference of less than 1 day would technically be closer to "eight or nine months" than "more than 1 year."

How do you figure this?

Less than one day is 7 months, 29 days (or 8 months 29 days) from 8 or 9 months. More than a year can be as little 3 months from the specified time period. A year and a half is as close to the given range as less than a year.

First of all, Arya and Dany's time in Braavos take place about ten years apart. For all we know Braavos is a big city andt there is a good chance that both were in completed seperate areas of the city.

As for Dany being in Dorne, she remembers the red door and the lemon tree, but she also remembers being kicked out of said house with Viserys. What would be the reason be for them to go to Essos when they could just go to Sunspear and seek protection from known family members.

First of all, Arya and Dany's time in Braavos take place about ten years apart. For all we know Braavos is a big city andt there is a good chance that both were in completed seperate areas of the city.

As for Dany being in Dorne, she remembers the red door and the lemon tree, but she also remembers being kicked out of said house with Viserys. What would be the reason be for them to go to Essos when they could just go to Sunspear and seek protection from known family members.

What known family members?

It was Rhaegar's children who are related to the Dornish royal family, not Dany and Viserys.

Archived