Sean Bean misses the show

Brandon the Wise

Am I the only one who's kind of disappointed that most of the main actors don't read the books? I mean, I'm no fanatic who thinks everyone HAS to read the books. But if you're professionaly involved with the show, how can you not read it? I suppose if I played some random non-speaking character on anything, or even if I was the guy who makes coffee, I'd bother to read the source material. Even if it was something bad. Now, Peter Dinklage doesn't read ASoIaF? How does that make any sense?

The scripts are canon for the actors, not the books.

I've personally think that Gary Oldman has died more often on screen than Sean Bean, but there are a few movies of Gary I haven't yet watched and I don't want to spoil me :P

For starters, I think Oldman has died in pretty much every movie of the 80s.

Now, back to Sean Bean, there is two ways he could "return".

- Bran's visions

- Cersei's hallucinations during her walk of shame.

other interview

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/sean-bean-legends-game-thrones-chat.html?mid=imdb

he says:

Well, it's just my theory ...
But it's a good theory! And that should happen, shouldn't it? I've definitely got some unfinished business that needs to be resolved there. I'm obviously not Jon Snow's dad. And you need that to be revealed at some point, don't you? So Bran would kind of be the one having the flashback, and he would see Ned praying, right? And revealing those things? You never know what those guys are going to do with that. It's got to be something special. But I'm into that. I certainly would be into that. Print that! Give them a nudge. [Laughs.] Hopefully I'll get a call soon.

It always surprised me that Sean Bean never did any of the voice overs for the Complete History and Lore of Westeros. Then again, a lot of the first season's were discussing Robert's Rebellion.

Am I the only one who's kind of disappointed that most of the main actors don't read the books? I mean, I'm no fanatic who thinks everyone HAS to read the books. But if you're professionaly involved with the show, how can you not read it? I suppose if I played some random non-speaking character on anything, or even if I was the guy who makes coffee, I'd bother to read the source material. Even if it was something bad. Now, Peter Dinklage doesn't read ASoIaF? How does that make any sense?

Most of the veteran actors have said that it was part of their craft to not read source material that was being adapted. Not all have said that. I have heard that kind of thing from other actors in film and TV.

If it's not a work of fiction, they will research their character.

As far as I know they are not forbidden, seems most of young actors have.

We have been told that all the main cast are given the 10 season screenplays so they would know their fates...

except for one case ... Roxanne McKee , who played Doreah had her story line changed , on the fly, I think that was true of Amrita Acharia, Irri too.

From way back , seems I remember Amrita didn't say much about it, but McKee was apparently a little miffed , tho she seemed to speak to it only that one time.

I would like to know what Thomas Brodie-Sangster thought , he may have read the books, but I think he knew before season 4 what his outcome was...

Sibel Kekilli apparently a reader knew about her character and even asked George to change it, which seemed to kind of bemuse GRRM.

I saw an interview with Kit H and he said he had read the books. I do understand that the scripts would be canon to the actors, but the books would provide much richer detail as to the interior life of the character, how they think, what their motivations would be. An actor could use that.

Plus, I really miss Ned!

An article appeared in The Sun (newspaper here in UK) about Sean Bean and how he misses being on the show and that he still watches it so he can keep tabs on his "Stark children" especially Arya. What are the chances of Sean resurrecting his role to

appear in Bran's visions

Yeah I'm a fan of some of his other work, in particular the Sharpe series so even though he is apparently a "dickhead" in real life according to some people I know I am actually positively disposed towards him personally

Hopefully through Brans visions they can actually get him to make some cameo appearances like Khal Drogo/Jason Mamoa did via Dany's vision. Fans of the show would like it given he was a favourite and last season they just used old footage of him

From what I recall of an interview with Michelle Fairely before season 2 started, she started reading it but then the actual script "becomes the bible" and they have to be 100% focused on that. In a different interview with Charles Dance, he makes a valid comment that some take care not to read the books as the TV show is an adaption of the books and leads to issues surrounding "why aren't we doing 'this'" and can muddle things up whereas it's better to just 100$ arrticulate what the writers/directors want

On the other hand if the second Mountain actor had read the books he may have done a better job of "looking the part" which is often of crucial importance and helps them to flesh out their performances better

All things considered, it is much more important to have writers/directors who have read the source material than the actors IMO

From what I recall of an interview with Michelle Fairely before season 2 started, she started reading it but then the actual script "becomes the bible" and they have to be 100% focused on that. In a different interview with Charles Dance, he makes a valid comment that some take care not to read the books as the TV show is an adaption of the books and leads to issues surrounding "why aren't we doing 'this'" and can muddle things up whereas it's better to just 100$ arrticulate what the writers/directors want

On the other hand if the second Mountain actor had read the books he may have done a better job of "looking the part" which is often of crucial importance and helps them to flesh out their performances better

This is true, the script is more important, also, when you're filming or prepping, there isn't time to read thousands of pages of a book.

I think that is unfair to Ian. He was part of GoT from the start, his interpretation was different, he knew the character though.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ian_Whyte

An article appeared in The Sun (newspaper here in UK) about Sean Bean and how he misses being on the show and that he still watches it so he can keep tabs on his "Stark children" especially Arya. What are the chances of Sean resurrecting his role to

appear in Bran's visions

:wub: :crying: :wub: :crying:

Yeah, I'm going back and forth between the two, atm. *sighs* Damn it, I still miss Ned.

~off to cry over Ned Stark and Sean Bean~ :crying:

I think the story of Jason Momoa reading was pretty funny, he was pissed Drogo was killed, threw his book, but of course.....went and bought ACOK to see if it was a trick, LOL

Here's a great clip from when he crashed the GoT panel at ComicCon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Sm9t8yaAs

And the video you posted was hilarious! I needed something like that today, so thank you!

We are all fans but, you know, some of the actors might simply find the books to be garbage. I don't think it is a requirement to dedicate several months to a fantasy series when you've got the actual scripts in front of you.

I do agree of course it might help and I personally enjoy the stories, but to each his/her own

That makes no sense. How could you find something to be garbage when you haven't even read it?

And of books are garbage, then what kind of garbage that makes the show, which is far less deep than the books? How can they endure to be in that kind of "garbage" show year after year and act those garbage storylines by those garbage scripts, even for the money and fame?

He didn't have the width, he's a kickboxer not a wrestler. I think the level of acting needed for the Mountain is debatable.

The level of acting needed for the Mountain is "look really violent, angry and scary". And Ian Whyte utterly failed at that.

on possible flashbacks and R+L=J

"I've definitely got some unfinished business that needs to be resolved there. I'm obviously not Jon Snow's dad. And you need that to be revealed at some point, don't you? So Bran would kind of be the one having the flashback, and he would see Ned praying, right? And revealing those things? You never know what those guys are going to do with that. It's got to be something special. But I'm into that. I certainly would be into that."

does he have inside information? did he just confirm something?

Sean Bean was the show's talisman in the first season and many people watched the show because he was in it. As the show has progressed, it's drifted more and more away from the books (S1 & 2 were very loyal but S3 & 4 had more and more silly changes), if the show were to ever jump the shark, it wouldn't suprise me if D&D opted to somehow incorporate Sean Bean's character back into the show, even if it is throughtWeirwood flashbacks, that way they can increase ratings again. Sean Bean has that effect ;)

There's an article here that reports that he's actually filmed scenes for season 5, whether it's true or not I have no idea : http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/sean-bean-filmed-ned-starks-game-thrones-return-spoilers/

Archived