Did this latest nude pics scandal enrage and disturb you too?

Malik Ambar

Point is, I don't think it's stupid.

And you are well in your right to think so. Just as I'm entitled to think that it's understandable, but stupid anyway.

I thought your outrage was because the pictures were as a result of theft, which is technically debatable. These pictures were, allegedly, hacked from a cloud based server, they'd been uploaded onto a password protected account. As soon as you upload pictures onto such a site generally speaking the image no longer belongs to you but becomes the property of the sites owner. So legally speaking Jen has no right to demand that websites take the pictures down as they more than likely don't belong to her.

:shocked: :lol: This the biggest load of bullshitt I have seen online in quite some time. Congratulations.

some people are stupid, really really stupid, they have no idea how things work. they still don't deserve this shit to happen.

:agree:

Man , screw these pics. What about data, business documents, tons of shit happens on the net and is done vis phones, on the 'clouds'. And who's to say that some perv won't take my niece's perfectly fine picture and distort it to some random shit?

The same principle - don't put any sensitive documents or communications on the net. It's really the only feasible solution. The other alternative is to vet all the systems involved thoroughly, which would almost certainly be incredibly expensive, and in the case of Apple and others who use secret software, impossible. And good luck trying to get them to expend any effort on it - it's not their private data that's at risk.

Don't put it on the net, or only use systems that are hardened and audited by you or people you trust (and pay a lot of money).

The same principle - don't put any sensitive documents or communications on the net. It's really the only feasible solution. The other alternative is to vet all the systems involved thoroughly, which would almost certainly be incredibly expensive, and in the case of Apple and others who use secret software, impossible. And good luck trying to get them to expend any effort on it - it's not their private data that's at risk.

Don't put it on the net, or only use systems that are hardened and audited by you or people you trust (and pay a lot of money).

The thing is, you can't really avoid putting things online (sensitive or not) in this day and age. We are dependent on the net for a billion things. The only advice I can give for a user is the following:

1) Make an effort to reduce the ammount of things you put online, only the bare necessity should be there (nobody on Twitter really cares about which sandwich you ate anyway).

2) TAKE CARE OF YOUR PASSWORDS. That means following the rules to create a safe password (capital letters, numbers, the whole shebang), so that it's harder to crack them with pure computing power. And more importantly, use different passwords conform the rules for all your (important) accounts. That way, if your FB password gets stolen, they can't use it to crack your G-mail. I think that was what happened here probably, passwords were stolen somewhere else and used to lift those photos from accounts with the same passwords.

3) Make other people aware. If enough people follow the rules or care about it enough, hackers have a harder time in making a living out of fleecing them and politicians might take notice more.

:shocked: :lol: This the biggest load of bullshitt I have seen online in quite some time. Congratulations.

Not really, there are some cloud services with TOS, that state (burried deep down in several pages of fine print) that everything you upload becomes their IP. That's mostly done to avoid lawsuits in cases like this one.

Not really, there are some cloud services with TOS, that state that everything you upload becomes their IP. That's mostly done to avoid lawsuits in cases like this one.

They might put that in their terms, but it won't stick in court. Portrait rights and all that stuff won't allow it.

Not really, there are some cloud services with TOS, that state (burried deep down in several pages of fine print) that everything you upload becomes their IP. That's mostly done to avoid lawsuits in cases like this one.

I don't know how this is handled in the US or other countries, but in Germany, cloud services have no rights to the uploaded content.

I don't know how this is handled in the US or other countries, but in Germany, cloud services have no rights to the uploaded content.

This is the same anywhere. No one would upload anything anymore if the cloud service tried to claim ownership of the uploaded content.

If people really need to send nude/provocative partners maybe using a polaroid and first class post might be a safer way? Although I guess people will start going through celebrities' partner's mail then. But it would be safer than doing so over the internet. Maybe celebs should all go on a digital privacy course? You'd think their PR people would be drilling this into them as soon as they become famous.I know MPs in the UK have to go on them precisely because of this sort of thing. It's not the victims' fault but there are ways they could make it harder for people to take advantage of them. I think it's the responsibility of their agents to look out for them in this type of thing. Unless it is one of their agents stealing the photo.

In the cases of ex revenge I think people taking part in that kind of thing should always insist on some mutually assured destruction. Wouldn't work for celebs with non-celeb partners but may help for the regular folks.

While the responsibility for crimes like this is always on the perpetrator, they also demonstrate an incredible stupidity on the part of the victims. The 'cloud' doesn't exist, it's just marketing speak for 'someone else's computer'. Leaving private information that someone else might want on someone else's computer is on par with leaving a fancy car unlocked on a London street overnight.

If you don't control it, you don't control it. It's really simple.

Yep. I, for one, keep almost all my money in a bank, which from the point of safety is just as stupid and naive. If you don't control it, you don't control it. But if one day all of it disappears without my knowledge of consent, I promise you, I'll be deaf, scratch that, openly hostile to your "you had it coming, sucker!".

In the cases of ex revenge I think people taking part in that kind of thing should always insist on some mutually assured destruction. Wouldn't work for celebs with non-celeb partners but may help for the regular folks.

In Germany, provocative photos of ex-partners have to be deleted or destroyed, if the partner wants it, otherwise the ex-partner can be sued. It's different with everyday photos, though.

If people really need to send nude/provocative partners maybe using a polaroid and first class post might be a safer way? Although I guess people will start going through celebrities' partner's mail then. But it would be safer than doing so over the internet. Maybe celebs should all go on a digital privacy course? You'd think their PR people would be drilling this into them as soon as they become famous.I know MPs in the UK have to go on them precisely because of this sort of thing. It's not the victims' fault but there are ways they could make it harder for people to take advantage of them. I think it's the responsibility of their agents to look out for them in this type of thing. Unless it is one of their agents stealing the photo.

you can still scan polaroids and upload them online if you're a particular brand of asshole.

and

think this is easier said than done really.

Yep. I, for one, keep almost all my money in a bank, which from the point of safety is just as stupid and naive. If you don't control it, you don't control it. But if one day all of it disappears without my knowledge of consent, I promise you, I'll be deaf, scratch that, openly hostile to your "you had it coming, sucker!".

For fuck's sake...

I did not at any point say that 'they had it coming'.

And your analogy is flawed. The money in the bank is guaranteed both by the bank and, usually, by the government. If they lose it, they replace it. If Apple loses your nude photos and they get published all over the internet, what are they going to do? Send you pictures of Tim Cook's penis as a replacement?

And your analogy is flawed. The money in the bank is guaranteed both by the bank and, usually, by the government. If they lose it, they replace it. If Apple loses your nude photos and they get published all over the internet, what are they going to do? Send you pictures of Tim Cook's penis as a replacement?

As far as money in the bank goes, that depends on how much the bank has in reserve and how many who wants to withdraw. Also, government backing is not an international feature per se.

Otherwise, I think that hacking is a criminal act, and unfortuantely there are criminals around. The pictures themselves are not really interesting, and I'm neither enraged or disturbed by the fact that there are people with low morals (that is, hackers) around.

This is the same anywhere. No one would upload anything anymore if the cloud service tried to claim ownership of the uploaded content.

Facebook has a "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license" to the uploaded IP. Doesn't that mean they can use my photos (I've had yet to upload a photo there, but some people do), free of charge, however and wherever they want? That's close enough.

For fuck's sake...

I did not at any point say that 'they had it coming'.

True. You only mentioned the victims' "incredible stupidity". Sorry, I extrapolated.

In an ideal world, pay punitive damages for their negligence leading to infringement of my privacy.

Facebook has a "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license" to the uploaded IP. Doesn't that mean they can use my photos (I've had yet to upload a photo there, but some people do), free of charge, however and wherever they want? That's close enough.

Yeah, that's what they write in their terms. If they were dumb enough to actually use it, people would fleece them in court. And not only are there a million things wrong with this legally (portraitright amongst others), but it doesnt' make sense economically. If FB really did that, we would all leave it for a social network site that promised not to pull this type of shenanigans.

Archived