Watch, Watched, Watching: The Horrible New Fall Television Edition

RedEyedGhost

I have 2 episodes left of the Shield season 4 now, and it's really amping up. I have seen some episodes of s5 before when they've been on tv, so I know what's coming and how brilliant s5 really is.

But so far, every season has been good. Sure there are a few episodes that feel a bit weaker than others, but all in all, every season so far has been great. But with the ending of season 4 you really feel that you're getting into the time where it really starts to shine.

I don't know if any tv show I've seen has done long story arcs better than The Shield. It's a testiment to Ryan, the show creator, how great he was at planning the whole series. I don't really know if i have anything to complain about. It's hard to find weak spots with this, the only thing might be that some of the episodic cases aren't that interesting compared to the larger story, with the Strike Team and the other cops.

It is a really dark show too. It was on FX and they go pretty much as far as you can. It has treated the same subjects as any Hbo Shows I've seen, and I think it's safe to say that it's pretty much one of the darkest shows I've seen when it comes to the subjects it treats. Maybe OZ might be darker, but I haven't seen it.

This is a brilliant show, one of the greats. It's definitely on the same level as the best ones I've seen. It's less well known then the top tier shows and don't get as much recognition, but when you talk about all time great shows, I feel The Shield definitely deserves to join.

Man, wait till the end..the series finale payoff is worth it.

Watching Shadow Of The Vampire now. Never seen this one, but it's been on my list for a while and I'm feeling Halloween-ish. :)

Is this the one with John Malkovich abd Willem dafoe?? Any good??? It's been on my watchlist too!!!

@davrum - yeah - i have never watched american office but the UK series is golden.

Last night I saw The Act of Killing... Damn, that was the best documentary I have ever seen. I'm a bit lost with words on how to describe the experience, but it is absolutely harrowing. These killers have been going unpunished for decades and they are still in power. I knew the Indonesian establishment consisted of scum before I saw this documentary (Their treatment of the Papuan people is atrocious and what they are doing with their rainforest is also unsavory), but never did I imagine that the rot would go this far.

I think this really is one of those things that everyone should see. I don't understand how there hasn't been more public outcry about this. Something like Kony 2012 caused outrage and set some wheels in motion, but this doesn't lead to any official response? Sickening, that's what it is. If you have to slap a face on evil in this world, than just look at the people who are featured in this world.

Now that I have seen the documentary, I have two questions for those who have seen it. One about the movie itself, which I'll pose in spoilertags and one about recommendations. So, question ones are their any other documentaries and films that I need to see on this type of subject matter (it doesn't have to be about Indonesia)? I think Ballade vom kleinen Soldaten looks like a similar kind of documentary and the Killing Fields is a movie that for some reason I haven't seen yet, but looks to be about a similar subject.

Question two:

Was Anwar's vomit inducing remorse genuine at the end of the movie? Personally, I thought it was, but other people seem to think that he was playing sick to get more sympathy. I doubt this because of several reasons. Firstly, I don't think the maker of the documentary would put it in if it wasn't genuine. Secondly, I don't think Anwar was anywhere near savy enough to fake that final moment. And finally, I think the rest of the movie really shows you the slow realization of Anwar and perhaps Herman that what they have done is wrong. If that guy that enjoyed raping 14 year-olds had this kind of breakdown I wouldn't believe him, because that guy is a psychopath (what a vile monster), but Anwar I'm more inclined to believe.

Btw this is an interesting interview with the creator

We just watched the first 5 episodes of Scorpion - the writing is definitely not the best and suspension of belief/disbelief/datbelief gets stretched but I've found it enjoyable. It's a serious version of TBBT.

Has anyone been watching Season 2 of Peaky Blinders? The actings solid and the show is great for visuals and music especially in this most recent episode when the Shelby's attack the Italian guys' club.

Layer Cake

Love it, I swear I must have watched it four or five times just so I could show it to people

Has anyone been watching Season 2 of Peaky Blinders? The actings solid and the show is great for visuals and music especially in this most recent episode when the Shelby's attack the Italian guys' club.

Love it, I swear I must have watched it four or five times just so I could show it to people

I've been really enjoying season 2 of peaky blinders, I think the sets look fantastic, It would fit what I'd imagine 1920's Birmingham to look like, also Tom Hardy is great as Alfie Solomons

We just watched the first 5 episodes of Scorpion - the writing is definitely not the best and suspension of belief/disbelief/datbelief gets stretched but I've found it enjoyable. It's a serious version of TBBT.

I saw the clip from the pilot where they dangle an ethernet cord from an inflight airplane to hack the airways or something.

It may well be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. And also so so terrible.

It's the best. Right up there with The Office for me.

I love Peep Show! I've been thinking about rewatching it myself for the third time, but I've got too much else going on right now.

I saw the clip from the pilot where they dangle an ethernet cord from an inflight airplane to hack the airways or something.

It may well be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. And also so so terrible.

Sorry Greywolf, but I'm with Shryke on this one, and the previews for the subsequent episodes have looked much worse than they did for the pilot.

Is this the one with John Malkovich abd Willem dafoe?? Any good??? It's been on my watchlist too!!!

@davrum - yeah - i have never watched american office but the UK series is golden.

Yep, that's the one. :) It's a little slow-paced for my taste, but it's supposedly a "secret history" of the original Nosferatu film, so it definitely had an interesting story. Also, Willem Dafoe was pretty unintentionally hilarious in quite a few of the scenes. I was literally LOLing throughout a lot of it.

Edit: It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Also, Theda, you need to watch AHS: Coven. For serious. :D

Yep, that's the one. :) It's a little slow-paced for my taste, but it's supposedly a "secret history" of the original Nosferatu film, so it definitely had an interesting story. Also, Willem Dafoe was pretty unintentionally hilarious in quite a few of the scenes. I was literally LOLing throughout a lot of it.

Edit: It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Also, Theda, you need to watch AHS: Coven. For serious. :D

is coven on netflix now???!! I was waiting bcus i couldnt be bothered to stream it elsewhere after i binge watched murder house and asylum on netflix!

Omg i LOVE unintentionally hilarious vampires. :P

It's a long time since I've seen it but I remember Shadow of the Vampire being reasonably good although it's mainly memorable for the idea of the actor playing Nosferatu being an actual vampire. I remember thinking Dafoe was good as the vampire, although I think I'd forgotten Malkovich was in it as well.

It's a long time since I've seen it but I remember Shadow of the Vampire being reasonably good although it's mainly memorable for the idea of the actor playing Nosferatu being an actual vampire. I remember thinking Dafoe was good as the vampire, although I think I'd forgotten Malkovich was in it as well.

i only know bcus i work with dvds and am constantly reading the back covers and adding things to my watch list haha but yeah i really like the idea behind the film.

Archived