Did Cersei name Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella?

Victor227

It's an odd question, I know, but the thought just sort of struck me out of the blue tonight. Is there any mention as to the source of their names? There's been a number of Lannister kings by the name of Tommen (two at least), but the only other Joffrey I could think of was a Targaryen...

Basically! Is there anywhere where it's pointed out in the text or SSMs as to the sources of the children's names?

Well Robert didn't seem to invested in his kids to begin with, and for another thing Cersei wouldn't like the idea of Robert naming kids that weren't even his. I'm willing to bet that Cersei suggested names and Robert shrugged and said "Very well" before chasing the next servant girl he liked the look of.

I think it's pretty clear that Cersei named Myrcella (since "Myr" appears in more than one Lannister name), as well as Tommen.

With Joffrey, I'm not sure. Even though he wasn't very present in their lives, I wouldn't doubt Robert would want to name his firstborn.

^Tommen is not a bad name. Neither Myrcella.

Joffrey, otoh, is a bad name for a future King. Considering this was a new line on the throne, they needed a stronger name, very related to the Baratheons. Also, Joffrey was a kid who people believed to be a bastard. Cersei has quite a twisted sense of humour.

I think Joffrey is a valyrian name, coz there was a Joffrey Velaryon back then and Orys Baratheon was a valyrian himself (or half), also Robert claimed the throne for himself through his grandmother who was Targaryen, so he gave a valyrian name to his heir.

Tommen seems to be a western name coz there were Tommen Lannister(s), and then Myrcella probably a name used in the Stormlands.

I think Joffrey is a valyrian name, coz there was a Joffrey Velaryon back then and Orys Baratheon was a valyrian himself (or half), also Robert claimed the throne for himself through his grandmother who was Targaryen, so he gave a valyrian name to his heir.

Tommen seems to be a western name coz there were Tommen Lannister(s), and then Myrcella probably a name used in the Stormlands.

It isn't.

No Dornish man would call themselves a Valyrian name.

Wrong. Joffrey Velaryon was named after Joffrey Lonmouth from Stormlands.

Joffrey is a common Westerosi name found all across Westeros.

Archived