Its interesting that Melisandre never sees Dany or her dragons in the flames

I think this question actually opens up a broader query - in what manner did Mel come to believe Stannis was Azor Ahai (meaning what motivated her to go to Dragonstone to serve him, not how Stannis/DS/the comet aligned with the wording of the prophecy). It's pretty clear why she sees Stannis and Jon in her flames from her POV chapters - she is looking for the former and personally involved (no, not like that) with the latter. Alys, as well, is a vision that she can have a direct impact on while Dany is clearly not. As for Bran and BR, that seems more like a super-magic hookup than anything else. So, most of her visions appear to be designed to direct her own action based upon the position she is in, which makes sense, but was it a vision that led her to Stannis in the first place?

Red Mel is playing a game with Stannis, Jon and Mance. I suspect she sees them each as a potential king to follow and is hedging her bets like nothing else. The dragons are what has awoken her power, despite my thinking that the leeches were coincidence and that she is fairly limited in power by comparison to the FM and Quaithe. She knows about dragons alright, but there is nothing to cause her to say anything about them as yet. If she knows about the efficacy of dragonflame against the Others, we'll have to wait to find out, but she does know about dragonglass and possibly dragonsteel too.

A lot of people like Dany's landing point as the Wall, but I've liked it to be the Vale of Arryn. South of these lands are the staunchest Targaryen Loyalists and the current Stewards of the Crownlands by the Eastern Coast are Tarly men, who himself would follow her before any Lannister. Such a beachhead so close to Essos and KL is what Dany needs, so why wouldn't she take her dragon there first to be sure of a Queen's welcome. Perhaps she'd enlist the Velaryons first, but I think Stannis has taken much of their strength for himself. Off topic, but I think that dragons are not in Mel's plans until Stannis has his victory. After that, who knows...

My own suspicion is that the "girl in grey" will be Dany, and that both Fake Arya and Alys Karstark are red herrings.

Hmmm, only situation where i see that is if her invasion attempted has been utterly stamped out, coinciding with her realizing where she should have always been, the north. There's no way she could even sneak away in the night, only way this works is of her invasion is obliterated and on another note....her dragons.....interesting...

It seems like she only sees visions related to her personal situation. So when she came to Dragonstone, all the visions were about Stannis, AA, the IT, etc. Now that she's on the wall, it's all about Jon. I'll bet when the dragons do show up in Westeros and they start to impact what is happening on the wall, they'll turn up in the flames.

Hmmm, only situation where i see that is if her invasion attempted has been utterly stamped out, coinciding with her realizing where she should have always been, the north. There's no way she could even sneak away in the night, only way this works is of her invasion is obliterated and on another note....her dragons.....interesting...

She and Drogon may part ways: "three mounts shall you ride". Drogon appears to be the second, the one she will ride "to dread".

I thought she did see dragons and simply didn't know what it meant.

Yeah, she has a bunch of very abstract visions in aDwD, one of which is huge wings flapping or something. That's most likely dragons, maybe Drogon in Daznak's Pit. She also sees two lovers having sex, which some people think could be Dany and Daario, but that one's more iffy.

I think it's very convenient that she's so out of touch with everything going on with Dany in Essos because that way she has a reason to keep supporting Stannis. If she finds out her entire religion in Essos has more or less focused on a supposed messiah, even to the point of rioting against other religions, maybe she would question her choice of AA, probably

Most of her visions seem to be relevant to her present or future situations. Whatever lead her to Dragonstone and her vision of the Fist of the First Men would fall under the latter and everything else (Cressen and Davos' assassination attempts, Stannis' battles, deaths of the rival kings, Patchface, Jon Snow, Bloodraven and Bran, etc) seems to be the former. When Stannis leaves her at the Wall she stops getting visions about him no matter how hard she tries, for instance.

When Dany is ready to invade she might start popping up in the flames if she hasn't as of ADWD.

Most of her visions seem to be relevant to her present or future situations. Whatever lead her to Dragonstone and her vision of the Fist of the First Men would fall under the latter and everything else (Cressen and Davos' assassination attempts, Stannis' battles, deaths of the rival kings, Patchface, Jon Snow, Bloodraven and Bran, etc) seems to be the former. When Stannis leaves her at the Wall she stops getting visions about him no matter how hard she tries, for instance.

When Dany is ready to invade she might start popping up in the flames if she hasn't as of ADWD.

It is also possible she saw Dragonstone because it's the birthplace of AA (if that happens to be Dany anyway). But yeah, she sees what she wants to see, or expects to see

Yeah, she has a bunch of very abstract visions in aDwD, one of which is huge wings flapping or something. That's most likely dragons, maybe Drogon in Daznak's Pit. She also sees two lovers having sex, which some people think could be Dany and Daario, but that one's more iffy.

I think it's very convenient that she's so out of touch with everything going on with Dany in Essos because that way she has a reason to keep supporting Stannis. If she finds out her entire religion in Essos has more or less focused on a supposed messiah, even to the point of rioting against other religions, maybe she would question her choice of AA, probably

Makes one wonder why one with her apparent capabilities didn't pack a glass candle...

Archived