does anybody ever wonder why Targs had a silver stag as currencie?

Golden Dragons and Silver Stags were the currencies in respect for Aegon I Targaryen, the King and Orys Baratheon, his best friend, half-brother and first Hand of the King...

The two most important and powerful people at the time, and their sigils... hence the currencies

Golden Dragons and Silver Stags were the currencies in respect for Aegon I Targaryen, the King and Orys Baratheon, his best friend, half-brother and first Hand of the King...

The two most important and powerful people at the time, and their sigils... hence the currencies

It's whispered that he is the half brother of the conquerors.

In my head canon he is though and I agree with everything you said regarding why the silver stag is is called a silver stag.

It's whispered that he is the half brother of the conquerors.

In my head canon he is though and I agree with everything you said regarding why the silver stag is is called a silver stag.

Yep, it's whispered but it's not going to be touched more in the series, so by going with the fact Orys was his only friend and had such close relations with the Targ brothers... it makes 90% sense he WAS their half brother...

You'd think when baratheon comes in power they'd switch it. ESP since Robert can't stand ad targs or dragonspawn

it would be too much work changing currencies, and Robert's hate is selective to his generation of Targaryens since his grandmother was one aswell..

in the end, it would be a waste of time and resources out of hate for a couple persons... and Robert didn't really care that much for history either, despite being one of itĀ“s major figures

Because the runner-up silver Baratheons are a lesser inferior line to the great golden Targaryens. At least thats what Targaryens think.

Targaryens never met a mirror they didnt like. They're so great, just ask one of them!

Alliteration.

The coins are silver, and there aren't many animals whose names begin with "s" and sound cool enough to affix to money.

"silver snakes?" Sounds dirty.

"silver seals?" Not enough of them.

"silver sheep?" To many of them, implying a common coin.

You guys get the idea.

Silver stag were for Orys Baratheon.

More importantly, why did they cotinue with Golden dragons.. shoulnt it have been golden crowned stags when robert conquered, given his general hatred for anything targaryen

Well, everything except the Iron Throne. He kept that. And the Red Keep. And the Kingsguard. And the office of the Hand. And the Small Council. Wait, it starts sounding like the "what have the Romans ever done for us?" list.

Alliteration.

The coins are silver, and there aren't many animals whose names begin with "s" and sound cool enough to affix to money.

You guys get the idea.

To be fair, they could just swap the copper and silver coins and have "silver stars".

Alliteration.

You guys get the idea.

silver snarks?

copper grumpkins?

Bobert hated dragons SO much, he deliberately went out of his way to lose the golden ones on principle an dout of spite, causing the throne massive amounts of debt -- just so he didnt have to see them

All interesting ideas, but I think Blue Tiger is closest. The "stag" as a denomination probably pre-dated the stag image as a house Sigil... possibly going back many centuries before Aegon. In our "real world" we have the "dollar" which comes from the Germanic "thaler" which originally comes from a certain coin made in Joachimsthal in Bohemia in the 1400s. They became popular as "Joachimsthalers" and then just as "thalers", and then everybody else started making thalers whether they were Bohemian or not. And eventually it became the "dollar" that we know today. Even Spanish and Mexican coins that were officially denominated as "8-reales" were used and called "dollars" in early America. In a similar fashion I imagine that the "stag" before Aegon's time was simply an iconic image from some older primitive coin that became the common name of a silver coin of about 1/10 troy ounce in weight. So that any silver coin of that size was called a "stag" whether or not it actually had a stag on it, or even whether or not the issuing authority called it a "stag". If that story holds true, then it is simply a coincidence that the stag denomination is the same name as the sigil of House Baratheon. But of course... coincidences make for good stories!

Archived