NBA Offseason 2015: The DeAndre Jordan's Feelings, nothing more than feelings Edition

Trebla

One question. Why did ESPN fire him? I know his ego was getting a little big and had a tendency to say things you shouldn't say on live broadcasts. But, what was the real reason? Has one been given?

I think Jaime L more or less nailed it upthread. They've decided to invest in programming (buying more games) rather than personalities. I think what you posted above plays into it as well. I'd have to imagine that Simmons hammering of Goodell didn't help matters much.  

Well the much rumoured explanation at the beginning was that Simmons was asking for much more than what ESPN wanted to pay.

But then we learned they just cut him off and that Simmons and his agent were hugely surprised by a sudden move from Skipper.
So they will have had other reasons. It's a big shame, but the only way for it not to be a shame is if Simmons regroups and does video podcasts or even shows that I can watch online for free. And as has been said by others, he needs to write, do his columns, I always find that the most interesting Simmons content, although I generally found his video podcasts with Jalen and other guests as well. He is someone you relate to, but he also relates very well to us as his apparent target group.

I'm not sure I am willing to see his reduced article content on Grantland lately as a sign that he isn't interested in that anymore either.
I think it will all depend on how busy he is with creating video content. We need him to be active in pre-season and playoffs time as well.

I'm interested to see what happens to Grantland. Will Zach Lowe stick around? I know, we'll find out in time.
But it would also be cool if all of those guy stuck around at Grantland and continued it as a success, while at the same time Simmons creates another site where there is more good stuff to be found.

If ESPN does finish Grantland, you can be sure some of these guys will flock to Simmons asap.

Or, as Relic put it, and I wholeheartedly agree:

Bill Simmons needs a column, a new team, and new website. Anything else is unacceptable. He's got the money and the name to start over, and I hope some of his people follow him to his new ventures. I love that Jalen and Jacoby have a huge Simmons face in the background of their video podcasts.

I agree with everything you've said Calibander. Would just like to add, that I really enjoyed him doing play by play also. I know its not likely going to HBO. And yes, I slapped my forehead after some comments he made during live broadcasts. He just brought the opinion of "us", an everyday Joe. And, that was what I always loved so much about him. Also, what I found heartbreaking as his head kept growing. Maybe that's it. ESPN wasn't gonna accommodate Simmons with larger door openings to fit his head through, and that was a deal breaker, no need to discuss contracts any longer.

I agree with everything you've said Calibander. Would just like to add, that I really enjoyed him doing play by play also. I know its not likely going to HBO. And yes, I slapped my forehead after some comments he made during live broadcasts. He just brought the opinion of "us", an everyday Joe. And, that was what I always loved so much about him. Also, what I found heartbreaking as his head kept growing. Maybe that's it. ESPN wasn't gonna accommodate Simmons with larger door openings to fit his head through, and that was a deal breaker, no need to discuss contracts any longer.

I really don't think it had anything to do with him personally. ESPN has jettisoned all of its big contracts that have come up lately. Simmons, Olbermann, and just recently Cowherd. I don't imagine that his attitude helped any, but I think this had more to do with his price.

Just read some bits about the upcoming USA training camp, where everyone who wants to go to Rio 2016 should be present, injured or not.

Then I read it's a 12 man roster. That is going to be one hell of a job to configure. A great deal of stars will have to be excluded.

5 guards ( Curry, Thompson, Harden, Westbrook, Paul, Irving, Wall, Beal, Rose, Butler, DeRozan, Conley, Lillard)

3 small forwards ( LeBron, Durant, Leonard, Paul George, Carmelo, Hayward, )

2 power forwards ( Aldridge, Griffin, Kevin Love, Faried, Green, Bosh)

2 centers ( choose from Davis, Howard, Cousins, Drummond, Jordan)

They don't have to pick them in exactly those position-qty combinations but it will be something like that.

Ok, after some thought, I would pick:

5 guards: Harden, Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Irving

3 sf: LeBron, Durant, Leonard

2 PF: Griffin & Aldridge

2 centers: Davis & Howard/Cousins

Just read some bits about the upcoming USA training camp, where everyone who wants to go to Rio 2016 should be present, injured or not.

Then I read it's a 12 man roster. That is going to be one hell of a job to configure. A great deal of stars will have to be excluded.

5 guards ( Curry, Thompson, Harden, Westbrook, Paul, Irving, Wall, Beal, Rose, Butler, DeRozan, Conley, Lillard)

3 small forwards ( LeBron, Durant, Leonard, Paul George, Carmelo, Hayward, )

2 power forwards ( Aldridge, Griffin, Kevin Love, Faried, Green, Bosh)

2 centers ( choose from Davis, Howard, Cousins, Drummond, Jordan)

They don't have to pick them in exactly those position-qty combinations but it will be something like that.

Ok, after some thought, I would pick:

5 guards: Harden, Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Irving

3 sf: LeBron, Durant, Leonard

2 PF: Griffin & Aldridge

2 centers: Davis & Howard/Cousins

Jeez that's a loaded team. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of those guys decide against going to Rio because they're too worried about injury risks (Durant, Rose) or because they're trying not to overtax themselves (Lebron; although its never stopped him before, even though he's played something like 3 extra seasons in his career at this point from all the playoff and international games).

I think the only change I'd make from your list would be finding a way to get Wall on the team, maybe replacing Irving.

And he's still a billion times smoother at 50+ than Dwight. :lmao:

Sadly, he was off the court in like two minutes. But it was a great moment, so cool to see both he and Mutombo on court with current NBA players.

A friend inspired an epic weekend this fall in Lexington for my wife and I. Thursday we will hit UK v Auburn. Friday during the day horse racing at Keeneland and Big Blue Madness that night. Saturday we top it off with Kings v Pelicans preseason game at Rupp.

Considering the number of UK players on the Kings and The Brow on the Pelicans, I figure we'll actually see the starters a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPn has put up their rankings forecast.

East:

1. Cavs

2. Bulls

3. Hawks

4. Heat

5. Wizards

6. Raptors

7. Bucks

8. Celtics

9. Pacers

10. Hornets

11. Pistons

12. Nets

13. Magic

14. Knicks

15. Sixers

My comments on the East:

I think the Hawks will go lower than no.3 and go to no. 5. I rate the Wizards and the Heat higher.

I agree that the Celtics will make the playoffs but I think the Pacers will as well.

I think the Bucks will struggle to make it but just might, and the competition with the Pistons, Hornets and Magic will be close.

I could see the Raptors finish below no. 6 and fight for the no. 8 spot as well.

Overall there will be significantly more teams competing for playoff spots. The Sixers are the only team I'd write off from being in contention.

Basically I see 5 teams qualifying with confidence, and after that, everyone except the Sixers could be in the playoffs. If I had to pick the 3 teams now, I'd say Celtics, Pacers and Bucks.

West:

1. Golden State

2. Spurs

3. Rockets

4. Clippers

5. Thunder

6. Grizzlies

7. Pelicans

8. Mavericks

9. Utah

10. Phoenix

11. Portland

12. Sacramento

13. Denver

14. Lakers

15. Wolves

Comments;

Everybody except Portland and Dallas is better than they were last year if they stay healthy, or at least as good as they were.

So what does that make?

Timberwolves at 15 seems too low for me. I think Denver has a chance of dropping all the way to 15.

Then again they do have Faried, Mudiay and Gallinari. Still, gaps in that roster.

The Wolves will be better than they were. Portland will go lower than 11. Dallas is not making the playoffs.

On the other hand it is not quite clear who replaces Dallas, it could be Phoenix or Utah, but I'm going to goo out of a limb and say it will the Sacramento Kings, on the back of a strong year from Cousins, Gay, Cauley Stein and.... well maybe nevermind. No really I think the Kings can finish 8th ahead of Phoenix and Utah.

As for the top teams, it really is impossible to guess who will finish were in the top 6.

On the other hand it is not quite clear who replaces Dallas, it could be Phoenix or Utah, but I'm going to goo out of a limb and say it will the Sacramento Kings, on the back of a strong year from Cousins, Gay, Cauley Stein and.... well maybe nevermind. No really I think the Kings can finish 8th ahead of Phoenix and Utah.

George Karl might miracle that bunch into an 8-seed, but I'll have to see it to believe it. It will take a lot more than Boogie putting up big numbers every night to make that team a winner.

Archived