NFL Preseason 2015: Packers looking for a good diagnosis and Cris Carter is looking for Lee Majors

Trebla

I am glad for this. Secretly, I think Goodell is too. He got to drop the hammer yet still gets a top tier star playing the whole season.

Thank god its over.

The NFL is going to appeal, lest Goodell lose the approval of illustrious NFL owners like Drug Mule Jim Irsay and Wife-Puncher's Protector Steve Bisciotti.

I hate both the Patriots and league office so much, I just don't know how to feel about this.

Although, my Patriots hate is just dumb fandom stuff, whereas I have real, moral objections to most of what the league office does. So I guess its better for the league office to get embarrassed like this, even though my Patriots hate is more visceral.

I'm glad the suspension was overturned and that Roger Goodell has egg on his face. His regime has ridden roughshod over teams with no real evidence to do so. Saints Bountygate. Skins/Cowboys salary cap violation in an uncapped year. Now this.

I hope this is the last straw with owners to get rid of him. I heard a really interesting thought on the radio the other day: Would the NFLPA agree to play 18 games a season if the NFL got rid of Goodell? They might.

I'm glad the suspension was overturned and that Roger Goodell has egg on his face. His regime has ridden roughshod over teams with no real evidence to do so. Saints Bountygate. Skins/Cowboys salary cap violation in an uncapped year. Now this.

I hope this is the last straw with owners to get rid of him. I heard a really interesting thought on the radio the other day: Would the NFLPA agree to play 18 games a season if the NFL got rid of Goodell? They might.

I'd think that even total morons like Woody Johnson or inhabitants of booze and pill bottles like Jim Irsay have noticed by now how often their boy gets his ass handed to him in court every time he overreaches.

You know what's awesome? The NFL wanted this venue. They pre-emptively filed in New York to prevent the NFLPA from going to the "player friendly" judge Doty in Minnesota. Goodell can't even win on his home turf.

ETA: Berman put "independent" in quotes every time he referred to the Wells investigation. LOLOLOLOL

I am pleased to see the NFL and Goodell look foolish.  This is a big win for the NFLPA. 

I really wonder if the NFL will appeal, or if they are as sick of this story as the rest of us are.  I hope not, nothing about this case is a good look for them.  Just let it go. 

Judge Berman should reside over the appeal as well. So the NFL knows how that feels.

Good one.

That's always been something that made absolutely no sense to me.  Why doesn't the NFL appoint a VP of player discipline to handle all punishments?  This person would try and apply NFL justice in a straightforward and consistent manner (something they have never done in the past).  Then, if a player wants to appeal, the appeal goes to Goodell.  Now Goodell can play good cop, reducing sentences where he sees fit.

I have never heard a compelling argument for why the NFL doesn't do this.  Is Goodell just that much of a control freak that he cannot delegate any responsibility? 

Good one.

That's always been something that made absolutely no sense to me.  Why doesn't the NFL appoint a VP of player discipline to handle all punishments?  This person would try and apply NFL justice in a straightforward and consistent manner (something they have never done in the past).  Then, if a player wants to appeal, the appeal goes to Goodell.  Now Goodell can play good cop, reducing sentences where he sees fit.

I have never heard a compelling argument for why the NFL doesn't do this.  Is Goodell just that much of a control freak that he cannot delegate any responsibility? 

But... the initial Brady judgment was made by Troy Vincent... right?

So, Patriot fans can claim this decision vindicates Brady and the team, Patriot/Brady haters can still claim he cheated, and Goodell has major egg on his face. Win-win-win?

Well, the team's still down a first- and fourth-round draft pick for this penny ante bullshit. But I'll call it justice if they roust out the people in the NFL front office who blew this thing up in the first place, and were feeding false leaks to useful idiots like Chris Mortensen and Peter King.

If there is one point that the judge made that rang very true is that Texaco v. Short case wherein the court said that after you navigate through all the winding roads of what the words "Due Process" means is that BEFORE you punish somebody, you have to let them know what, SPECIFICALLY, you are punishing them for.  The judge overwhelmed the lawyers with his questions and at the end, the NFL- TO THE SURPRISE OF NOBODY - could not nawer these simple questions:

-Was Tom Brady notified that simply by "being generally aware" of balls being reduced in psi would result in a 4-game suspension?

-Was Tom Brady notified that if he destroyed his cell phone could he be suspended 4 games?  

-Was Tom Brady notified that if he violated these rules, his suspension could be based upon the Steroid Policy?  

And the answers were "No, no no."  

The Union dominated this opinion.  

To me, I think the NFL has to make a big decision- are they going to appeal or do they really want to put this all behind them?

I would be surprised if the NFL did not appeal- they need to keep their power.  But it would not shock me if they let it lie.  

Because Tom Brady always wins when it matters most.  

And Rodger Goodell is a fucking turd-eating, illiterate, poo-flinging, lying, ignorant, blood-sucking, pasty-white, inbred sack of monkey-shit.  

Thankfully this is now over...glad to see that it was cleared based on the clownshoes way it was handled as an investigation.  Now I just want McNally & Jastremski can be picked up by the 49ers so they can help Caep grip the ball.

It's amazing with the way it was handled though that I keep hearing Goodell has support of ~28 of the owners.

I am pleased to see the NFL and Goodell look foolish.  This is a big win for the NFLPA. 

I really wonder if the NFL will appeal, or if they are as sick of this story as the rest of us are.  I hope not, nothing about this case is a good look for them.  Just let it go. 

As disappointed as I am with the outcome, I have to agree. Let it die. And I have to say the Judge's ruling seems to be pretty well thought out and reasonable.

Archived