NFL Preseason 2015: Packers looking for a good diagnosis and Cris Carter is looking for Lee Majors

Trebla

Okay, this VINDICATED! bullshit is really starting to piss me off. He wasn't vindicated. It's not like he was found not guilty or something. 

Well remember this was all a conspiracy planned out by the other owners for the Pats having won 3 Superbowls ten years ago. So of course this is a normal reaction.

That implies that he was ever afforded the option to be found not guilty. The NFL has such a low burden for proof that they can find anybody guilty of anything.

I think a lot of people feel vindicated when they said the entire process with the NFL was a piece of crap and that having a judge get the investigator to admt that there was no direct evidence and the NFL saying "it doesn't matter if there is no evidence, the CBA says we can do whatever we want" and then having a judge rip apart the validity of the investigation, and saying the NFL provided a fundamentally unfair process was as close as you could possibly get to vindication.

The judge could never say "the Well's report is wrong". It just was never in the cards. So to act like something that Brady never had available to him is some slight against it is sort of unrealistic, he never had a chance at that. Basically what happened today was the closest you could get to vindication.

That implies that he was ever afforded the option to be found not guilty. The NFL has such a low burden for proof that they can find anybody guilty of anything.

I think a lot of people feel vindicated when they said the entire process with the NFL was a piece of crap and that having a judge get the investigator to admt that there was no direct evidence and the NFL saying "it doesn't matter if there is no evidence, the CBA says we can do whatever we want" and then having a judge rip apart the validity of the investigation, and saying the NFL provided a fundamentally unfair process was as close as you could possibly get to vindication.

The judge could never say "the Well's report is wrong". It just was never in the cards. So to act like something that Brady never had available to him is some slight against it is sort of unrealistic, he never had a chance at that. Basically what happened today was the closest you could get to vindication.

Agreed. But some people (not on this board) are treating this as a clear sign that Brady had nothing to do with the deflated balls. It is pretty clear cut that it was done with Brady's blessings  and in my and many other's opinion by his explicit demand. As I said earlier, no way in hell the McNallys and the Jastremskis of this world messes up Tom Brady's footballs without his explicit instruction.But I think you could argue that Brady did not ask them to break the rules (I think so too) and it was a minor transgression. Roger Goodell made a dog's breakfast out of the whole thing and the judge correctly pointed that out and reversed the suspension. 

:lol:
Your bitterness over that argument is almost endearing.

After watching the damned Ravens finally banish their playoff demons against the Steelers last year, bitterness is all I got left. Especially after I was at the final regular season game when Pitt beat Cincy to clinch the division, and simultaneously lost any chance at advancing in the playoffs (as Bell got injured).

ETA: And of course just to add to it all now Brady will be on the field next Thursday. My poor Steelers needed Jimmy G at QB, with Bell, Bryant, and Pouncey all out.

After watching the damned Ravens finally banish their playoff demons against the Steelers last year, bitterness is all I got left. Especially after I was at the final regular season game when Pitt beat Cincy to clinch the division, and simultaneously lost any chance at advancing in the playoffs (as Bell got injured).

Is your Pats hatred so deep that you can't revel in the way the Pats made them look foolish with the unorthodox formations, broke their vile whining hearts with the comeback, Brady mocked them afterwards, and then had the Ravens pull a Colts to get the rule changed to ban those formations forevermore?

@trickster

Here's my thing with that. The Well's report, if you take it at absolute face value, only found 3 of the Patriots balls to be below the expected range. Which means they only definitively "proved" that 3 of 12 balls were ever below the threshold to begin with. And just to get to that point they had to ignore that Walt Anderson said he used a gauge that actually was irregular and that no records were ever kept to prove where the balls started.

So even if McNally was going back and deflating balls, it really seems suspect that it was done explicitly to go below the limit and gain an unfair advantage.

I've always maintained the most likely scenario was Brady chewed everyone out when the balls in the Jets game were at 16spi and he was playing with rocks. He probably told Jastremski to make sure it didn't happen again, and then McNally started letting air out after the inspection because they all thought the refs were overinflating them, and there is ample evidence of that. The idea that it was some uniform process just really doesn't hold up even with the Wells report. You have balls ranged all over the place and only 3 that were definitely under the limit. So I don't even know for sure if it was designed to provide an unfair advantage as opposed to just making sure the refs weren't screwing up. And while it would have been poor form and technically illegal to do that, I don't know that it compromised the integrity of the game.

Is your Pats hatred so deep that you can't revel in the way the Pats made them look foolish with the unorthodox formations, broke their vile whining hearts with the comeback, Brady mocked them afterwards, and then had the Ravens pull a Colts to get the rule changed to ban those formations forevermore?

Oh I loved every minute of that. I hate the Harbaugh boys more than anyone. I was just kidding about being bitter. I might hate the success of the Pats, but not the organization.

No, I wouldn't say Irsay personally tanked the team, because I'm sure he was busy eating shrooms that had been grown from one of Jim Morrison's poops or something.

Certainly an organization as feckless and crybabyish as the Colts wouldn't rise so high in my ire if they weren't also rivals to the Patriots because they lucked into the two of the greatest first-overall picks in NFL history. There are a lot of reasons, including their ownership situation (father and son). But certainly the whining to the competition committee was a big part of it. I'd at least have a little more respect for the organization if it hadn't been for the rule changes they lobbied for and have now led us into this looney tunes offensive explosion where Matt Stafford racks up more yards every year than Dan Marino ever did.

As for the organization tanking in 2011... Someone made the decision to keep Curtis Painter as your QB and start him for half the season (and when they finally benched Painter, they replaced him with a guy who'd been out of the league since playing for the 0-16 Lions in 2008!). Even without Peyton Manning, I don't believe organizations suffer that much of a dropoff without some... intention. Or maybe the roster really was just that gutless that they gave up on the season once Manning was out? Hard to say. What makes you say the tanking theory doesn't hold up to cursory inspection? I'm actually curious.

DISCLAIMER: All of the following post should be considered My Honest Opinion. It is a collection of observations I've made, things I know for a fact, and what I consider reasonable speculation. This post is probably gonna be pretty long and weirdly formatted. Deal with it.  END DISCLAIMER

It really is a case of a roster that was rotten at its core since 2006 combined with no (literally) no backup plan. Let's start from the beginning.

In 2006 the Colts won the Superbowl due to fantastic efforts by the defense, Adam Vinatieri, great running by Dominique Rhodes, and Rex Grossman. After that, there was a massive exodus of talent. Not something that's surprising when considering a team that just won the Superbowl and their team construction focus around a select few high paid players and other guys. Let's take a look at some of the notable departures. 

-Please hold all questions, nitpicks, bathroom breaks, disagreements, comments, insults, eye-rolls, and scoffs until the end of the post. We here at Jace's Ramblings recognize that you have a choice when choosing long needless rants, and we thank you for choosing us. As usual, have a nice day. :)     -

Offensive Losses:

RB: Dominique Rhodes* left (I think he went to Oakland), which wasn't much of a concern as the consistent and dependable Joseph Addai was prepared to step into the starting role.

LT: Tarik Glenn* retired, not too big a deal. Only quite possibly the best LT in the league during his prime and easily the best O-lineman the Colts have ever had.

OLB: Cato June* went to Tampa or something, so there goes a 27 year old OLB who was extremely valuable (if not elite) in the Cover 2. Nevermind that he was out of the league like 2 years later, he was extremely productive as a Colt.

CB Nick Harper I think defected to Tennessee, Harper was a solid CB who played particularly well at times in that playoff run but more on CB's in a moment.

CB Jason David, this is the only member of this roster that I consistently forget about and I've had to look up his name and stats more than once. David was a replacement-level guy who I think was undrafted in 2003, so losing him didn't seem like a big deal, but note that both starting CB's have made the list already.

----------------------------

Those losses are not crippling, and as we'll see the Colts seem to do just fine without them. But let's look at their replacements, shall we?

2007 Notable Acquisitions/New Contributors:

RB: Joseph Addai*, who would look like an absolute superstar rushing for just over 1,000 yards (that was an accomplishment not all that long ago...) and become a major part of the passing game. We'll check up on Joe Addai again later on to see how he's doing.

WR: Anthony Gonzalez*, drafted at the end of the first round, would become the nominal slot receiver but was ultimately forced into an expanded roll that included acting as the #2 WR after Joe Addai effectively ended Marvin Harrison's career in week 4 at home against Tampa. We'll revisit Gonzalez later.

LT: Tony Ugho*, this motherfucker... During the 2007 draft Bill Polian selected with his first round pick WR Anthony Gonzalez (already mentioned), then in the second round he was so determined to get his hands on Tony Ugho that he traded away next years FIRST FUCKING ROUND pick as part of a deal to get San Diego's rights to draft Ugho. Ugho was more or less unremarkable in his first year, a fact I think helped immensely by Ben Utech's blocking abilities, the hurried-up nature of the offense that year (moreso than usual) with lots of short passes without Marvin to stretch the field, and Peyton's compensation. We'll revisit Tony later on.

OLB: Freddy Keiaho was extremely fast and extremely bad at tackling. 

CB: Kelvin Hayden*, he of the pick 6 in the superbowl. An exciting young player, Kelvin stepped up to the starting gig and looked great from the beginning, often matching up against the opponent's fastest WR when not in a cover 2 look. We'll get back to Kelvin.

CB: Marlin Jackson, a big bodied player who wasn't extremely fast but he was physical at the line and was REALLY good in run support, practically a 3rd OLB who liked to follow WR's around. As a rookie (in 06) Marlin played at FS a lot due to Bob Sanders missing time. We'll get back to Marlin.

SS: Bob Sanders*, hero of the playoffs, would go on to sign a 5 year $30 million + contract during the season that made him the highest-paid safety in league history. 2007 was his most productive and healthy year of his career as he lead a defense that was #11 in yards allowed, Sanders would go on to be named the Defensive MVP of the league. We'll get back to Bob. (notice a trend here)

------------------------------

So, all in all it looks like the holes have been filled. 2007 would see the best Colts team to date, they would have been the best team in the league by a fucking mile if not for a certain team that went 18-1. Marvin Harrison would get hurt in week 4 but while his absence was felt, it was not the end of the world. The offense adapted, lots of RB's stepped up to form a committee and do things like give the ball to San Diego NT's in the playoffs on the five yard line... The defense was really solid, and except for a hangover loss to San Diego that saw half the team get injured and Peyton throw for 6 INT's (one was a hail-mary, and the game should have been won but Adam Vinatieri missed a FG that's shorter than the current PAT, but even that was kind of bullshit because the Colts lined up to go for it on fourth-and-inch inside the five yard line at the end of the game, but were called incorrectly for a false start when the TE's completely legally shifted into a new formation) the Colts were more or less unstoppable that year until they hosted San Diego in the playoffs where the RB's by committee kind of fucked the team over.

------------------------

So, who was lost after that year:

FB/TE: Ben Utecht,* not a great player or a worldbeater by any means but Utecht was a really solid role player who did a lot of good things for the team. He signed with Cincy for something like $9 Million over 3 years, he would get hurt and wash out of the league not much later on.

-----

That's pretty much it, let's look at who was added:

CB: Tim Jennings, this guy stepped in as a second year player. He was undersized, but very fast and very physically talented. However, Jennings didn't quite fit in the cover 2, he was inconsistent in zone and lost in man coverage. We'll revisit Tim later on.

----

2008 is where Bill Polian accepts more or less all of the blame for what would happen in 2011. Peyton missed most of the preseason with an infection in his knee that required multiple surgeries. Colts fans were sweating aplenty as Peyton did not participate in preseason games or training camp. We were rescued from the Jim Sorgi experience when Peyton returned for a week 1 demolishing at the hands of the Bears to open up Lucas Oil. The Colts struggled greatly early in the year with a limited Peyton, the ghost of Marvin Harrison not performing, Joe Addai started having injuries, Marlin Jackson would never make it out of training camp without tearing his ACL in non-contact drills again, Bob Sanders missed most of the year, Tony Ugho revealed himself to be one of the worst LT's in the league as Peyton and the offense could no longer compensate for him, and an unheralded player named Melvin Bullet became the starting backup safety in Bob Sanders' place. The Colts would make the playoffs as the 5 seed (Tennessee won the division behind the combo of Chris Johnson and that fat fuck from USC), and lose to the Chargers at San Diego in the game that prompted the change to the sudden-death rules. 

--------------

Who was lost after 2008:

QB: Jim Sorgi, this may not seem relevant but before a series of elbow injuries with the Giants Sorgi was considered a competent backup.

WR: Marvin Harrison* would be cut (per his request when he declined a pay cut) and would not sign with another team. I used to sign him in Madden 2010 when I started a Bears franchise. The second best WR of all time (refer back to the opening disclaimer), and Peyton's mind-meld partner was no more.

---

Again, not too bad. Who was added:

QB: Curtis Painter, a guy hired to hold a clipboard. I actually saw this fucker play at Purdue, I knew he was garbage drafted only to make the league minimum.

RB: Donald Motherfucking Brown, picked in the first round.

WR: Pierre Garcon*, an unknown rookie 6th round pick who would pick up for Anthony Gonzalez after he tore his ACL on a non-contact play in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

WR: Austin Collie*, white boys for the win!!! A fucktasticly good slot player who would get concussion after concussion for the next 3 years.

LT: Charlie Johnson, a seventh (?) round pick who would replace the abysmal Tony Ugho.

CB: Jacob Lacy, a nice looking young player who started stepping in for an injured/inconsistent Kelvin Hayden.

CB: Jerraud Powers, a carbon copy of Tim Jennings who replaced Tim Jennings as a starter.

P: Pat McAfee*, he's just the greatest.

-----------

On 2009 the Colts quite possibly could have gone undefeated. Peyton starting lighting motherfuckers up like it was 2004, and... that was really it. The rookies Collie and Garcon really stepped up and looked like the future of the team's WR corps. Melvin Bullet became a hero on 4th and 2 after Bob Sanders tore his biceps in the second game of the season. The defense was really mediocre, Addai was a mess, the O-line was passable at best, and Hank Basket doesn't feel like he should look at the ball when he's trying to field it. Despite the great record and superbowl appearance, the cracks are starting to show.

---------------

Who was lost:

Not really anyone of note left the team, Marlin Jackson went to the Eagles to tear his ACL there in non-contact drills.

-------

Who was added:

Not really anyone, Ryan Lilja went to Kansas City and the immortal Jerry Hughes was drafted in the first round.

------------

2010 was a rough year by Colts standards. The offense was start-and-stop. In a week 1 loss to the Texans, Bob Sanders again tore his biceps when he threw himself over a pile for no fucking reason and landed awkwardly. There was no running game between Addai and Brown, Dallas Clark was hurt most of the year, there were injuries all over the WR position, and the defense was BAD. Peyton struggled himself behind a really bad line that had two starting-caliber players on it in Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem(RT), Colts finished a disappointing 10-6 and lost to the Jets in the Wildcard round after the infamous Jim Caldwell timeout.

------------

Losses: Again, not too many. Bob Sanders was cut and Tim Jennings went to Chicago to begin several trips to the Pro Bowl.

------------

Additions: Not really much. Peyton signed a new contract that was 5 years for $90 million. First round pick was Anthony Castanzo.

------------

In the summer we learned that Peyton would probably miss training camp time again after having surgery on his neck. It's important to explain that while I didn't live in Indy at the time, I read ever scrap of news on Peyton Manning all summer and my friends kept me well informed of local news. Nobody. NOBODY. Thought Peyton Manning was going to miss time before training camp, when we found out he was going to have another surgery (reportedly minor), but he was to be back by week one. We'd been through this before. Then about 3 weeks before the start of the season, Kerry Collins was signed as an insurance policy. This is when we started to sweat. No veteran QB was signed in 2008, was Peyton gonna miss time? Shortly later, it was announced Peyton would need another operation and would miss regular season time. There was no timetable for his return as he was placed on the PUP list (IR Recall was not a thing), it is important to note PEYTON WAS NOT PLACED ON INJURED RESERVE. As the season started, the Colts lost the first 6 games of the season, and we gradually learned that Peyton's injury/recovery was far more complicated than we'd thought. In those 6 games, the Colts were vaguely competitive against mediocre opponents, never losing a game by more than 2 scores.

Then came the fucking nightmare. 62-7 at NO on Sunday Night Football. I don't want to talk about that anymore.

After that, it was pretty clear that Peyton wasn't coming back. Kerry Collins was awful and ended up getting benched/injured. Curtis Painter was fucking horrid and should have been forced to give all of that money he'd made to the Colts fans who had the misfortune of watching his stupid fucking ass embarrass the franchise in a way Irsay never could. Dan Orlovsky was pretty feisty, and gave the Patriots a nice game in a lost season (I actually wonder if BB and TB took it easy on the team out of respect) .

So, what happened exactly? I think that the players, like me and most of the other fans I know, realized Peyton wasn't coming back and even if he did the team wasn't really gonna go anywhere. So, it's completely plausible that they stopped giving their full effort out there to preserve their bodies for a season that might actually matter. I think that Jim Caldwell is a poor game manager and game planner, he didn't do anything to help the team out at this time. I think the roster was bleeding from a hundred wounds sustained since 2006, you look at all of those people I listed and how many of them stepped up with the Colts? You can double check my math if you want, but only 3 of those players ever significantly improved or even adequately replaced the guy that left and one of them is a fucking punter. Castanzo was a non-factor that rookie year, and Garcon was visibly frustrated that no one could get him the ball. Garcon is the only player (in my mind) that was acquired after 2006 and played in 2011 who was at all a quality starter at a significant position with experience under his belt.

You can't be successful like that. Where was the talent coming in? Why was the roster made up almost entirely of replacement-level FA's/late draft picks for the better part of a decade? This was all on Bill Polian for not making a roster that could properly support its QB, let alone itself. 2011 was a horrifying combination of absentee coaching, stupidity of the front office, blind faith, great expectations, and just enough Luck to get us through it. 

You could (and have) made the argument that the Colts stopped giving effort and therefore tanked, I call bullshit. There's one member of the front office/ coaching staff that I know remained with the team, and he didn't even get to keep his job. Clyde Christiansen, the guy who took notes for Peyton Manning, was demoted from OC to QB coach. Everyone else was fired. That's how I know it wasn't a tank job. EVERYONE was fired. Polian, who was president at that point, his son who was GM, Caldwell, the DC, everyone lost their jobs. And something like 20 players were cut. That's not a tank job, that's cleaning house. I can twist my neck to see the conspiracy logic that Painter was put on the field = they knew he'd fail. But that's not what happened. Collins was signed specifically to keep Painter off the field as much as possible because again, there was no fucking backup plan. They'd just signed the face of their franchise to a new $90 fucking million dollar deal and there wasn't a whole lot of cap room to go find a nice safe backup. Collins was signed in a "Oh shit, we have to do something" panic because who's available 3 weeks before the start of the regular season? Retired guys. Dudes haven't even been cut yet, there's no one else to turn to.

This is how I know it wasn't a tank job. Because I saw it happen close (figuratively) up and personally. I'm not looking at it as a rival who saw their competition somehow stumble ass backwards into another great QB, and you can take that for what its worth.

Good god, this was exhausting. I'm done with that, I've got a draft to attend in Westeros B. That's my best attempt, take it or leave it.

*indicates a player who's jersey I own or may have thrown out*

I think you are equating long running incompetence and dumb luck with tanking. Could the Colts try a little harder in 2011? May be. But the thing is, for many years, the Colts plan was Manning will cover our collective asses. The offense was built around Manning's unique skills. The defense was built to complement the quick strike offense with the understanding that they will be for playing with a lead. The team won 10 games and scraped to the playoff just the year before. So when Manning went down, there was no way the team could have won more than 5 games with a league average replacement. Was any league average QB available at the time? And what's the point bringing in a stop gap option to win a couple of more games at the cost draft picks (if they traded to get a QB), draft position and salary?  The management did not know for sure (at the beginning) that Peyton was in danger of not being able to throw again.  He had never missed a game till that point. So the management were not preparing for life after Manning, at least not when the season started. But in end he was let go when could not throw the ball and there was a reasonable chance that he was done. And yes Luck was available, thank God for that. 

As for the court ruling, I am happy that Roger Goodell got embarrassed. The whole "investigation" was a travesty. The "punishment" was absurd. But Tom Brady knew about the balls and I am sure he demanded for lower PSI . I don't think he specifically asked the equipment guys to break the rules. But his PR management was awful. He looked like a privileged dick who got caught in the act and had no idea how to handle that. But the Pats beat (destroyed) the Colts fair and square.   

Said much better than my own attempt and in a quarter of the space.

Reactions on the Brady ruling from around the league...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/4pane%20deflategate%20reaction_zpsyef8sju9.jpg.html

Nice. Great work. :thumbsup:

:P

I don't know if the letters you quoted have any significance, but thank you? :)

@trickster

Here's my thing with that. The Well's report, if you take it at absolute face value, only found 3 of the Patriots balls to be below the expected range. Which means they only definitively "proved" that 3 of 12 balls were ever below the threshold to begin with. And just to get to that point they had to ignore that Walt Anderson said he used a gauge that actually was irregular and that no records were ever kept to prove where the balls started.

So even if McNally was going back and deflating balls, it really seems suspect that it was done explicitly to go below the limit and gain an unfair advantage.

I've always maintained the most likely scenario was Brady chewed everyone out when the balls in the Jets game were at 16spi and he was playing with rocks. He probably told Jastremski to make sure it didn't happen again, and then McNally started letting air out after the inspection because they all thought the refs were overinflating them, and there is ample evidence of that. The idea that it was some uniform process just really doesn't hold up even with the Wells report. You have balls ranged all over the place and only 3 that were definitely under the limit. So I don't even know for sure if it was designed to provide an unfair advantage as opposed to just making sure the refs weren't screwing up. And while it would have been poor form and technically illegal to do that, I don't know that it compromised the integrity of the game.

We are kind of saying the same thing. I don't think Brady wanted the equipment guys to do anything illegal. I also feel that the benefit was marginal at best. I have already said that the NFL "investigation" and subsequent "punishment" was absurd. However Brady's handling of the whole situation (the awkward press conference, pretending complete ignorance and destroying the phone) does not paint him in a sympathetic light.

We are kind of saying the same thing. I don't think Brady wanted the equipment guys to do anything illegal. I also feel that the benefit was marginal at best. I have already said that the NFL "investigation" and subsequent "punishment" was absurd. However Brady's handling of the whole situation (the awkward press conference, pretending complete ignorance and destroying the phone) does not paint him in a sympathetic light.

More or less my take. I was appalled at the way they (both Brady and the team) handled the early going. I think Brady should fire his agent for being an ass and giving him shitty advice.

And then I think -- if I had a mouthbreather like Mike Kensil yelling and waving his finger in my face that "You guys are in a lot of fucking trouble" over some goddamn underinflated balls that the league has never actually given a shit about before, maybe I'd stonewall those dim motherfuckers too. And I think there was a degree of disbelief about what an inquisition the league was mounting over an equipment issue that was proved to be utterly irrelevant to the game itself.

Archived