Will the Stormland lords join Aegon?

Abdallah

Ok so after the battle of the blackwater around 8 K of stormland lords surrendered and joined the Iron throne. Right now the biggest Iron Throne army is the Tyrell Army, which is split. "half the tyrell strength" is with Garlan Tyrell who is currently fighting the IronBorn. A large amount of the Tyrell army is in KL with Mace, with several thousand under the commander of Lord Rowan. Should the Golden Company pull a Battle of Winterfell, attacking a confused Rowan and capturing an unsuspecting Stormsend, and hopefully come to full strength when the rest of the GC comes ashore. With the realm in chaos will the Stormlords join Aegon?

Though I agree with you, I don't see Ronnet as a good example. He was directly confronted in Kings Landing, he had no other choice. 

Also Jon had returned as Lord. He is obviously not going to be in favour of that demotion.

In general I think many will offer some alliance but will hold back as many of their knights as possible to protect their own lands.  With Illyrio's purse they may be able to hire many local hedge knights and smallfolk willing to fight now that it is winter and jobs (and food) grow scarce.

So Aegon will be able to bulk up his numbers but with very little quality.

Well seeing how a good of Stormlords fought against Robert when he rebelled I'm pretty sure many of them would. Besides now that Storm's End has been taken by Aegon, the Baratheon name will lose a great deal of prestige which means the Stormlanders will flock to Aegon VI.

Houses Fell, Grandison, and Cafferen were fighting the Baratheons even after the BoT at the battle of Summerhall.  They will be the first ones to join Aegon.  Richard Lonmouth was Rhaegar's squire.  Theories about whether he's that guy in the riverlands aside, that house will also join Aegon.  So that's a base to build upon.

All those lords whose castles already belong the Golden Company will have no other choice.

And the others have not a real choice, either, if Dorne proclaims for Aegon. Especially the Marcher Lords. They are caught between the Golden Company and the host coming down the Boneway. Either they join them or they risk being smashed between them.

Not to mention that no Stormlord has a good reason to stand with King Tommen and the Lannisters. They all proclaimed for Renly once, and then many of them joined team Stannis. All those who did that cannot have much love for the Lannisters, especially those who believe what's said about the parentage of Cersei's children.

And then there is the fact that Aegon's main supporter is Jon Connington, a former Stormlord himself, who offers them the chance to follow a Targaryen prince. This is even better than following a Baratheon, especially in light of the fact that all the charismatic Baratheons are dead.

Well seeing how a good of Stormlords fought against Robert when he rebelled I'm pretty sure many of them would. Besides now that Storm's End has been taken by Aegon, the Baratheon name will lose a great deal of prestige which means the Stormlanders will flock to Aegon VI.

Perhaps so.  Aegon will have to overcome one major hurdle:  prove his identity.  Varys comes to the rescue and delivers Blackfyre.  That will suffice for some, and not for others.

It seems that tales of Dany (even Viserys' death) are known far and wide over Essos.   News reached Marwyn via glass candle in Old Town and all the members of the small council knew about her.    I wonder if she's widely known in Westeros?  LF's comment to Alayne about the 3 queens was intriguing and I wonder if he's in cahoots with Dany. That would be perfect since Vary's backs Aegon.   Still, if Dany is known in Westeros as a conquering ex-pat, isn't it possible there is a faction waiting for her return?  If that's true would they back Aegon so readily in preparation for her?   I think much of what support Aegon can gain will depend on loyalty to the governors in place, the absolute Baratheon supporters (Stannis) and even the Targ loyalists.  If the best Aegon can hope for is to assemble a rag tag army of farmers and swell swords he won't get very far--and he's got a lot of land to cover.   If Dorne joins him it's game on, but what will they do when Dany shows up?    

I think its a fairly good chance the Stormlords will actually join with Aegon, unfortunately. They are nothing if not fair-weather-friends who seems to be about as united as the Reach, and many of them seem to possess a strong dislike for the Lannisters. So a lack of an overlord they like, the chance to be on the winning team and the hostility to the Lannisters-Tyrells would point at the Stormlords joining with Aegon.

I think its a fairly good chance the Stormlords will actually join with Aegon, unfortunately. They are nothing if not fair-weather-friends who seems to be about as united as the Reach, and many of them seem to possess a strong dislike for the Lannisters. So a lack of an overlord they like, the chance to be on the winning team and the hostility to the Lannisters-Tyrells would point at the Stormlords joining with Aegon.

Even the Reach lords, or atleast the important reach lords, except the florents, are loyal. The main powers, Redwayne, Oakheart, Rowan, Tarly, all follow their liege lord Tyrells. The Storm Lords will join whoever they think will win, and with the way Cersei and mace Tyrell rule the realm is in trouble. 

I'd bet real, non-Monopoly money that Stonehelm will declare for Aegon eventually. My reasoning:

1) The Swanns have withheld most of their strength so far and are thus a big untapped resource

2) They like hedging their bets and keeping a foot in every camp

3) Balon seemed pretty confident he was never going to face Jaime's choice - to choose between his king and his kin - but if his family declares for Aegon, they would become enemies to Tommen and, by extension, Balon. So that could be foreshadowing 

3) Balon seemed pretty confident he was never going to face Jaime's choice - to choose between his king and his kin - but if his family declares for Aegon, they would become enemies to Tommen and, by extension, Balon. So that could be foreshadowing 

Assuming Balon survives his hunt for Darkstar (something I have grave doubts about).

Aren't some of the Stormlords who survived the Battle of the Blackwater still with Stannis, and preparing for the Battle of Ice? That is, the houses that didn't bounce from Renly to the Lannisters?

If so, I would imagine that this will be part of what will make the Stormlands easy pickings for Aegon, JonCon, etc., and the perfect spot for invasion (as well as the perfect spot to wreak revenge on the lands of his father's slayer). Many of the Stormlands Houses are likely without lords for one reason or the other, and their strength has been scattered. The Stormlands will become the new site of "Aegon's Landing."

SPOILERS FOR BOOK 6 BELOW

Arianne II kinda gives us a more personal view of what is happening now in the Stormlands. The GC has not only taken castles but they are all over the place, and half a hundred men had actually joined Jon's cause, including "Addam Whitehead", son and heir of Lord Whitehead.

Nevertheless, there are two things that we shouldn't forget. One, is that Jon said that he still had friends. I suppose he also has family there in the Stormlands, so some might feel rightful to follow him, specially if they believe Aegon is real. And, two, as Daemon said, "those who do not love the Lannisters might well come flocking to their banners”. In any case, those who feel Stannis has abandoned them could also join Aegon's cause.

Ronnet's best option is to join Aegon. He's only a knight but if Jon indeed gets some success, he can be his heir and become a Lord. Remember Jon wants to restore the former power and lands his family had, and that's something Red Ronnet can profit from. He actually would have to be a major idiot if he doesn't realise this.

I think Balon will have to literally face Jaime's choice and be the Valonqar.

Aren't some of the Stormlords who survived the Battle of the Blackwater still with Stannis, and preparing for the Battle of Ice? That is, the houses that didn't bounce from Renly to the Lannisters?

If so, I would imagine that this will be part of what will make the Stormlands easy pickings for Aegon, JonCon, etc., and the perfect spot for invasion (as well as the perfect spot to wreak revenge on the lands of his father's slayer). Many of the Stormlands Houses are likely without lords for one reason or the other, and their strength has been scattered. The Stormlands will become the new site of "Aegon's Landing."

No most of them deserted and went back home or swore fealty to Joffrey. Some maybe with him but then the majority of the Stormland's strength is well in the Stormlands. 

The quote lost my quotes, btw. I was quoting GGG and littledragon.

No most of them deserted and went back home or swore fealty to Joffrey. Some maybe with him but then the majority of the Stormland's strength is well in the Stormlands. 

IICR, I made a list and a lot of Stormlords are now with Stannis. Some houses were divided, as in some lord followed Stannis but their remaining relatives had no choice but to swear fealty to Joffrey :dunno:

Even the Reach lords, or atleast the important reach lords, except the florents, are loyal. The main powers, Redwayne, Oakheart, Rowan, Tarly, all follow their liege lord Tyrells. The Storm Lords will join whoever they think will win, and with the way Cersei and mace Tyrell rule the realm is in trouble. 

True that many Reach lords are with the Tyrells but several were also with Stannis, like Florent, Varner, Willum, Fossoway and Mullendore. I think we should count both Florent and Fossoway as Houses from the Reach of some importance who kept with Stannis, and possibly Varner as well.

True that many Reach lords are with the Tyrells but several were also with Stannis, like Florent, Varner, Willum, Fossoway and Mullendore. I think we should count both Florent and Fossoway as Houses from the Reach of some importance who kept with Stannis, and possibly Varner as well.

Stannis had the chance to force himself on many of the Reach Lords considering the fact that many of them would have been with Renly's horse at Storm's End, but there is little chance that many leading Green Apple Fossoways stuck with Stannis - considering that Mace's sister Janna Tyrell is married to Ser Jon Fossoway of the Green Apples, and Garlan Tyrell's wife is a Leonette Fossoway - after the Blackwater.

In fact, Lothor Brune was smart enough to not slay Ser Jon Fossoway, the brother-in-law to Mace Tyrell, on the Blackwater. He most likely would have choked to death on that apple...

We have the weird situation prior to the Blackwater than many Reach Lords must actually have been with Stannis whereas their foot weren't with him at all (Loras, Tarly, Rowan etc would have been prominent exceptions, as would be Arwyn Oakheart who did not seem accompany the horse to Storm's End). But that would have changed during and after the Blackwater considering that only very few of them would have wanted to fight against their liege lord or take up arms against their own levies. Not to mention that there was this whole 'Renly is alive again' confusion.

It is very unlikely that any Reach Lords besides Lord Alester Florent retreated with Stannis back to Dragonstone - if that had been the case, we would have heard about it by now (either in ASoS or ADwD, considering that these guys would now be with Stannis.

Archived