SFF Novellist of the Decade

TheEvilKing

Stephanie Meyer

Please hold my coat while I kill myself.

Pullman is an interesting mention and I really do like his work, but I agree that His Dark Materials doesn't really count as being in the current decade, not really.

I'm gonna go with Abercrombie. He's written one decent book, one good book and two really superb books. I don't really care for the snobbishness directed at 'fantasy' or 'genre' or whatever. Get over yourselves.

I do think, from the fantasy genre Jim Butcher deserves an honourable mention simply for managing both consistency and prolificness (Or is it Prolificicity? heh, I hate having a fever, I can't type for shit and my brain can't cope with big words).

I'm gonna go with Abercrombie. He's written one decent book, one good book and two really superb books.

Please tell me The Blade Itself is the "decent" book... it's the first Abercrombie I've read and I can't imagine - from that - anyone would consider him the best of whatever, even accounting for taste.

Please tell me The Blade Itself is the "decent" book... it's the first Abercrombie I've read and I can't imagine - from that - anyone would consider him the best of whatever, even accounting for taste.

The general consensus does seem to be that The Blade Itself is the weakest of his four books so far, and I'd say the other books are significantly better.

How do you know he's a nice guy - from his books?

Nah, I have enjoyed his posts on the board. I just have enough issues with the books (amusing as they were) that I wouldn't put Joe on a shortlist for novelist of the decade. :unsure:

Glad to see no one has mentioned Scott Card, lol.

I would have to throw my vote to Bakker or Stross. Bakker's got an insane four books I"ve read (can't wait for Neuropath in a few weeks) and Stross' merchant prince series captivated me as few series have of late, not the greatest writing nor very intelligent characters, but a story that kept me absolutely rapt, I gobbled up five books in practically record time (less than a week). Pratchett has had some of his best work (Nation, Nights Watch, the three Tiffany Aching Books, Going Postal) this decade but also some remarkably weak efforts (Monstrous Regiment, Making Money etc) but he's definitely in the running, imo.

Have to go with GRRM. ASOS and AFFC were my favourite reads of the decade. AFFC is a contraversial choice I know but theres no accounting for taste! Still scratching my at why anyone would recommend Bakker as well, really didn't enjoy his work.

No love for KJ Parker? I think she's been overlooked completely in this thread!

I want to add this for the third time: GRRM has published more than two books this decade. Three new Wild Cards, from my count, plus a number of short stories for anthologies, plus the book with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham, plus he's edited a few anthologies. GRRM is pretty prolific.

I want to add this for the third time: GRRM has published more than two books this decade. Three new Wild Cards, from my count, plus a number of short stories for anthologies, plus the book with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham, plus he's edited a few anthologies. GRRM is pretty prolific.

He wrote his part of Hunter's Run in 1981 though, so I'm not sure that can be counted. Editing work isn't writing a novel, which is what the title is about.

I think going for GRRM on the basis of ASoS and AFFC alone is perfectly valid, there's no need to keep bringing other material into it.

A fairly prolific publisher of books and reprints perhaps, but not as a writer, for obvious reasons.

Hunter's Run was not written this decade, as far as Martin's part is concerned. He did not write, but edited the 3 Wild Cards books. The no. of short stories produced over the entire decade is also very, very limited. So basically, nothing you say is actually true or has relevance to the topic at hand which is concerned with best writer rather than publisher. Otherwise, let's start nominating David Hartwell and Tom Doherty from TOR books, they've published dozens of books.

I feel that Rowling wins this not on talent but on presence in the mainstream. If it were a contest of "Who exposed more people to the Fantasy genre" she would win hands down. Crossover success might be the correct term.

HP didn't suck by any means either, but it doesn't hold a candle to any of the more adult authors mentioned in this thread. I'd like to say GRRM would win on sheer talent but only publishing two novels does hurt him. As I really don't care for Bakker that much I'd probably have to go with Erikson just based on volume (eight books!).

Still, to have a conversation about fantasy writer of the decade and to not include an author who: released four novels in this decade, actually finished her magnum opus fantasy series, and undoubtably ruled the mainstream like no other author mentioned previously would seem a little silly.

China Mieville

Dan Simmons

.... for all the reasons mentioned. Both writers are at the very top of their genre.

Steven Erikson

..... simply because he wrote an effing amount of decent to very good material in the last decade. Yes some of the later books are somewhat mediocre, still in retrospective no other non-Martin series has been that muched discussed on this board.

Neil Gaiman

..... just go to a public reading of his and be amazed how many people know and love him nowadays. And he still published some quiie good work this decade....

Archived