The Americans

Fragile Bird

Watch this week's episode and then we'll talk.

It was less creepy this week actually, because we had time to cope with the idea. To get "used" to it. As Philip does.

huh, I didnt get that vibe. in fact, Oleg has grown on me. I didnt used to like him, but this season he seems a lot more likeable. Even though he draws guns on FBI agents in dark alleys.

Oleg was very likable from the start.

Actually, I found all the characters (Russian or American) to be very likable from the start, save Arkady who started as an antagonist to the previous Rezident, and then grew up to be a nice guy, and Beeman who I just can't stand now or then (mainly because of the awful actor).

is this the first time they've murdered a civilian?

Yeah, it was really surprising.

They already killed "civilians", but not in such a direct or detached way.

Really good episode, things are gonna come to a boil between Elizabeth and Phillip very soon I think, Have a feeling that shared joint (awesome scene) might be one of their last happy moments.

Nina has ice water running through her veins, not enough Arkady this season.

That was an impressive episode tonight, with a beautiful weaving together of the various story lines.

Paige, getting baptised, and in the water, like Elizabeth was at the start of the season, remembering the swimming lesson.

Irina, and Philip, and the baby, now a soldier in Afghanistan (or is he somewhere in Russia?). Philip being told of Irina's capture, and where his son was. And the implied threat of what might happen if he didn't go to Kim's house on a weekly basis.

What Philip will and will not tell Elizabeth, and her misunderstanding that he was stressed over Paige, and the fact he didn't tell her about Irina and his son.

Philip laughing with Elizabeth over his use of returning to church to avoid sleeping with Kim. And that prayer session at the end, which seemed pretty damn genuine.

The conversation between Philip and Paige, and doing what feels right, and Elizabeth and Paige at the end, and Elizabeth telling her she and Philip had been serious protestors in their time. For sure Paige thought about that conversation.

That baptism scene. And the fact Elizabeth and Philip sat at the back, when they should have been in the front row.

Nina, loving two men who loved their country better. Oh, my, Nina!

And Elizabeth, loving her country more than Philip. Do we see a betrayal coming down the road?

Best show on television!

For the first time, I got my husband to watch it with me. He didn't recognize Phillip at all in his disguise with Kimmie! I think I may have gotten him hooked on this show. :P

I don't like the Kimmy story line, and I think that is the effect the writers were going for. Phillip keeps reinforcing that Kimmy is a hormonal 15 year old, and we all know that he has no business being around her. The show will keep him hanging around, and I am now convinced he will sleep with her. He didn't want to, I didn't want him to, but he will because the center needs him to.

Elizabeth will get jealous of Phillip and Kimmy, and that will end badly.

I don't know how the Martha story line plays out. Now that Phillip wont be getting top secret files from her, maybe her usefulness has been used up.

Just wanted to say that the final scene in previous week's episode was powerful as hell. Philip recounting all the sex training he did back in the USSR, and then lying down with Elisabeth. Damn.

I think Philip is gonna have to bang the 15 year old eventually, but it will take out a huge toll on him. Way back in the pilot he was talking about him and Elisabeth defecting, and seeing all the vile shit he has to go through, I think it's very likely that that thought will pop up again.

I thought the guy Elisabeth crushed under his own car was the recovering alcoholic lady's abusive husband, but people say he was a Northrup employee. What's up?

I thought the guy Elisabeth crushed under his own car was the recovering alcoholic lady's abusive husband, but people say he was a Northrup employee. What's up?

At first I thought it was him as well, but then a woman was calling him and that puzzled me. However, after Elizabeth drops the car on him, the camera zooms in on the parking sticker in the car window that says Northrup, which would be his parking permit for the plant.

This is the way Elizabeth clears the transfer for the black woman, who's name just escapes me, to transfer from the plant she works at to the plant they want information about.

I'm halfway through tonight's episode and am so filled with dread...

ETA: Ok, so, the dread carries over to next week...

I did not see that coming. That's what I like about this program. Maybe somewhere in the back of my mind, I had a tiny forgotten thought with regard to plot developments that could occur if and when that bug was found, but it was buried deep.

I would have thought that the FBI would have done regular bug sweeps in their offices. But, maybe in embassies, not at home. Some shit is coming down the pipeline with Martha, which, of course, we knew was going to happen sooner or later. Season end cliff-hanger?

Oh, and I didn't catch the title of the book Paige was reading, did anyone see it?

ETA2 : Asking Martha where her purse was was definitely the wrong question at the wrong time. And that was damn smart of her to take apart that transmitter, which I totally forgot about. Did we even know she was carrying it? Martha sure is shitting the proverbial bricks. I was half joking when I predicted she would end up being folded up into a suitcase, but now I'm beginning to think that was a good prediction.

I thought Elizabeth took the news of Phillip's son pretty calmly. I half expected her to say, "and I have a daughter back in Russia".

Not gonna lie I'm a tad confused about all the South African shit and what they're trying to accomplish there

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was really confused by that last scene. After watching it again I assume they were trying to recruit the guy in the diner but one of his associates saw him and was going to intervene, so Phillip attacked him and they ended up kidnapping both guys. But why did Elizibeth shoot the baker lady?

How does Phillip maintain a physical relationship without revealing the blonde wig?

Martha actually told him she knew about his "toupee" a few episodes back. She just think's he's bald. Their amazing wig technology was something of a running joke among viewers during the first season. It is apparently a very secure wig, there was one scene this season where they showed he had to remove like six clips to get it off.

Archived