How many of you came up with a "fake" Aegon theory before seeing it here?

Ahai I'm Jon Snow

It took me a while before I pieced together the Blackfyre angle, but I knew when I first read it that he was an impostor. Mostly because I could see how well the series mirrored the Wars of the Roses, and Young Griff was, to my mind, clearly pulling a Perkin Warbeck. Subsequent readings and analysis and discussion only bolstered the conclusion I originally came up with. I finished the book knowing that this kid was not Aegon, plain as day.

It was only after I read the forums, i started thinking Aegon as fake. I didn't intially think of him as fake mainly cause I thought his story was a parallel to Astyanax. Astyanax was the son of Hector, Crown Prince of Troy. During the sack of Troy he was believed to have been thrown from the Walls of Troy and killed. But another story suggests that he was switched with a slaves baby. So when Astyanax grows up he arrives in Sicily and becomes king of Messina. This is why I believed Aegon could be real. But now, I do doubt Aegon's identity.

I thought something may be amiss just because it would be an odd time to introduce a previously hidden 'hero' into the series at this point, especially one who could frustrate Dany's return to Westeros. But I hadn't absorbed anywhere near enough back story to make the Blackfyre link, like manypeople who came to the books via the HBO series I was too excited about getting the the end of the series so I could pick up GoT and start again!.

Me neither. I probably was too busy getting over how lame and out of the blue Aegon's reveal was

I see what you did there :D

To the question at hand, I considered him being randomly fake during my first read and thought it very unlikely, so I considered him to be probably the real deal. Until I learned the Blackfyre theory that is, and that one just makes too much sense.

Many of the old timers of the forum have been expecting the appearance of a fake Aegon since ACOK, due to Dany's visions in The House of the Undying and a mail from GRRM refusing to confirm the young prince's death (but confirming Rhaella's).

So I was convinced Aegon VI was a fake from the first minute.

Archived