Which is the most wealthiest house in the North ?

naik2902

I don't think the Martells are that poor. Stark and the Martells could potentially be what and what. Not that the Starks are poor. Just because they are the least populous doesn't mean that they don't have alot of wealth.

Martells do alot of trading and export a lot of goods and a lot of exotic goods at that. Many people would pay alot for some of the things that Dornish have.

Manderly. They have the most fertile land in the Nort plus silver mine plus a city(trading hub). While the Starks have land plus taxes over the other northerners, but the trading wealth should outstrip that. The reason why Wyman ask for gold to built a fleet isn't because he doesn't have it, it's because it's a Stark/Northern fleet so the Starks/North should pay for it. Still, Starks and Manderlys are top 1% in Westeros.

My ranking in terms of wealth in the North: Manderly, Stark, Dustin, Bolton, Karstark, Ryswell, Flint, Umber, Locke, Hornwood.

• 3 months later...

Without doubt, House Manderly is the richest in the North.. Can't see anything wrong if a vassal house is richer that their liege lord.. House Hightower seems to be richer than House Tyrell or House Frey being richer than House Tully.. so can't House Manderly be richer than House Stark.. I mean, the Starks surely are rich in their own right.. being able to finance opulent feast once in a while and maintain Winterfell, but the Manderlys' wealth is on a whole new level, comparablt to that of the richer houses in the other end of the spectrum such as the Lannisters, Hightowers, Tyrells and Redwynes.. I mean, the Manderlys' Sept of Snow and Merman's Court seems to be too opulent both by Northern and Southern standards.. Like the Lannisters (who controls all the gold via gold mines in Casterly Rock and wealth of Lannisport), the Hightowers (who controls Oldtown, Westeros' oldest city), Tyrells (who controls the food production in the Reach) and Redwyne (who monopolize the Wine industry in the Seven Kingdoms along with its largest fleet); the Manderlys control the wealth of White Harbor, one of the only five major cities in Westeros and they also control the silver mines in it (which is said to rival the Lannisters' gold) plus he has his own fleet.. IMO, House Manderly is among the 5 richest houses in Westeros..

The Stark's are the richest family in the North in part due to their longevity. The Manderly's are the second richest. However the Stark's are capable of raising funds relatively quickly through taxation while the Manderly income is more constant.

it's definitely the starks imo they collect taxes from everyone and i can't see much expenses to eat away from that

here's what i thought to be weird , all that wealth (coins ,silver ,gold ,gems ,valuable items ) had to be stored in a treasury somewhere ,most likely Winterfell , your own safe in your own house , but what happened to it when Winterfell was taken ,did the ironborn plunder it (unlikely ,as they were under siege almost immediately after they took it ) do the boltons have it now ? or is the treasury hidden underground under winterfell , with only starks knowing where it is ?

i think Mr Martin just forgot about that :idea:

I think it seems logical that Robb took the biggest part with him to use in his war. Most of that is probably spend, although the remainder of it will most likely be at Riverrun and/or captured at the Twins. What's left in Winterfell is probably in the hands of the Boltons. Theon gave a lot of silver to Ramsay to go get swords to defend Winterfell. All that was still left must have been taken by Ramsay when he came back to sack it. So there you have it, all in enemy hands. But not that much left anyway in my opinion, war costs a lot.

• 1 year later...

I would say the Starks but barely..

The Starks are rich in assets and natural resources, Winterfell is one of the Largest and strongest castles in Westeros, they possess a Valyrian Steel Greatsword and have the Wintertown one of the largest Settlements in the North. They have a larger stretch of land than any other Northern house.

They take taxes from all the Houses from the North and the Smallfolk and also from their 'enterprises. (etc Silver Mining, Ale brewing.)

The Starks are probably still among the richest houses of the realm, but the Manderlys are richer. As are most other lord paramounts, the Hightowers, Redwynes (and possibly other houses in the Reach as we didn't see much of them), Freys, possibly some minor Houses in the Vale like the Royces or Graftons.

House Manderly. Fertile lands, Silver mines. It handles the only port and the largest city in the North. Even the wiki says it is the richest.

House Stark will be second. Not much lands and trade. Even with taxes they will not be better than House Manderly.

House Dustin or Karstark will be third.

Archived