Football LXXI - My Little Chelsea

Zoë Sumra

This Mourinho news reminds me of that bit reported a while back where Mourinho set up his team to get a nil nil in a second leg purely so he could blame the referee afterwards. Perhaps I'm naive and insufficiently cynical, but it sounded extraordinary. I can't believe that's something that normally goes on.

Never underestimate the depth of Mourinho's spite towards others. Thats why I think Chelsea will win this weekend.

'The reserves' is a misleading description anyway. For different reasons, none of Lampard, Salah nor Matic can play the CL second leg, for example, so all three will undoubtedly play on Sunday. Add in Oscar, Ivanovic, and Eto'o as likely starters, since none played last night, and the team is not likely to be significantly weakened except in the areas it would have been anyway, ie the injuries to Terry and Cech.

I agree. Chelsea can field a very strong 11 on Sunday, including Salah, Matic, Oscar, Eto'o and Ivanovic who didn't even play midweek. At least half of their outfielders are fresh. Cech and Terry are a loss and disruption of course but Chelsea have had relatively light disruption from injuries through the season. "Reserves" seems like a big misnomer.

Leaving all this boring Manchester United and Champions League talk aside for a moment, to comment on some important news.

Ethiopia have a new coach. I think this exemplifies the problem quite a few nations have with regard to coaching and what results they expect. Sewnet Bishaw, the former coach, was probably no new Alex Ferguson. However, he was local, understood the culture (heck, it was his culture!), and he got results: Ethiopia for the first time in ages qualified for the African Cup of Nations, and they won their qualifying group for Brazil 2014, losing to Nigeria in a playoff. To me, this signifies that Sewnet should keep the reins to see if he could continue to build on the recent success. Instead, the Ethiopian FA decides, in their infinite wisdom, to fire him and hire some other coach who has some experience from african football, though from the other side of the continent. He'll be unfamiliar with culture and language and will probably (though not certainly) want to change the system of play.

Sure, this may be a good move. But I suspect that in a year, Ethiopia will have failed to qualify for the Afcon, the new coach will be outed and Ethiopia will again be running around searching for the magic coach who will transform them into winners immideately. This attitude of success now! is really, really, really, really (really!) counterproductive.

/rant

Now, please return to the irrelevant discussion about PL and CL and whatnot.

Since people were asking: Ramires charged with violent conduct for the elbow, plus (for good measure) Rui Faria and Mourinho charged for their antics during/after the game too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27133571

Taking a leaf from Jose's book, I'd like to 'congratulate' Chelsea.

Does anyone know the feeling when a team of your country, which you hate with a passion, plays CL and you don't know if you want them to win, because it would be good for the league?

Bayern München. There's literaly no team on the whole planet I hate more.

I think I'm cheering for Real anyway.

Archived