Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

I'm going to try this and the one with oil, to see if one of them will work for me. Because...

I used various foundations for decades, when I likely didn't really need them, and now that I'm 60 I rarely use foundation anymore. :P

Frankly speaking, I have found BB cream meets all my needs about 90% of the time (I use L'Oreal's product, there are lots out there) and full-blown make-up only when going to a special event. Most of the time I use a good moisturizer, since it will have an SPF of about 10 or 15 anyway, or Dermalogica's tinted face cream.

... Dermalogica is yet again reformulating its tinted face cream with SPF.

Honestly, Angalin, If you have good skin, (and your pics seem to show that you have amazing skin) just a sunblock and some strategically placed concealer is all you need.  I have good skin and I get away with murder.

I do have to have eyebrows, smoky eye, and lipstick.  If I have these things, I feel ready for battle.  I am in a neutral lip phase, and I'm enjoying it.  I may be getting too old to rock the bright red anymore.

Thanks, good twin. :) I can manage sunblock & something, but not much more than that on a regular basis. Smoky eye would be a big night out for me.

Re lipsticks: MAC Twig is a useful colour.

Ang, I have pretty good skin and live in a sweaty fetid swamp that I have to ride a bike through every day.  I prefer a "no-fuss" make-up routine.

I use a light  moisturizing foundation to blend in under-eye circles and as an eye-shadow base.  I also use this to blend in any redness in the creases around my nose.  I've got  L'oreal Visible Lift.  It works fine, can be applied over sunscreen and is still mostly there when I get to work.  It does NOT "visibly lift" or "defy age".  I still look 40, but I don't look exhausted and 40.

I use mascara and a light coloured eyeshadow.

Lipstick.

If I'm getting all fancy I might fuss with an eye pencil and a little blush.

On mascara:

I just picked up a kit from Lancome who still makes the best mascara ever.  It was available at Perfumaia at a 50% discount.  About $25.  Lancome mascara usually runs around $27.

The kit included a mascara base.  It's not worth the fuss.  The Lancome Hypnose Drama is so thick that with the base I wound up looking like Tammy Faye Baker before the crying.  It's not a waterproof mascara, but it never ever smears unless you actually get your face soaked or sneeze before it's dry.

I have about three eyelashes and this stuff makes me look lovely with a few easy swipes of the brush.  I discovered it in High School and it's the only ridiculously over-priced product that I think is worth every cent.

Edit:  ES, one is never too old to rock bright red lipstick.

Will check out the Visible Lift too. Lancome's mascara is a good one. Yum.

Lily, I protest- you do not look 40

Nope, she doesn't. Hubba hubba at any age, but you don't look 40, Lily.

I haven't worn lipstick at all in about...three years, maybe longer. Partly it's from a no-fuss viewpoint, as in I just cannot be bothered and I don't miss it. Partly it's from a beer nerd viewpoint where I don't want it to affect my palate so that I tell a brewer their beer smells of plastic when actually it's my lipstick.

With gin, this is never a problem for me. ;)

Some asshole in my office last week told me I look distinguished. I am thinking it's time to color the grey at my temples. Holy crap. Distinguished, my ass.

Sorry for the rant. I'm obviously still smarting over that one.

I am still loving the Nuxe body oil. It does amazing things for skin and hair, as well. Am out of the Colleen Rothschild cleansing balm that I love but I have other stuff I need to use up before I replace it. At $65 it's not cheap, even if it lasts for months.

Distinguished. Gahhhhhh

• 2 weeks later...

Some asshole in my office last week told me I look distinguished. I am thinking it's time to color the grey at my temples. Holy crap. Distinguished, my ass.

I am still loving the Nuxe body oil. It does amazing things for skin and hair, as well. Am out of the Colleen Rothschild cleansing balm that I love but I have other stuff I need to use up before I replace it. At $65 it's not cheap, even if it lasts for months.

Distinguished. Gahhhhhh

You are gorgeous! Do what you want, but don't doubt your gorgeousness!!

I'm looking for a facial scrub/exfoliant. Any suggestions?

Distinguished. Gahhhhhh

My rational, sensible part of my brain says, "Dyeing one's hair is time-consuming, expensive, false" and all sorts of other things. The vain part of me says, "It'll add 10 years to your appearance!"

Guess which part won out.

I like this a lot:http://vasanticosmetics.com/brighten-up-enzymatic-face-treatment-exfoliator.html
andhttp://m.philosophy.com/products/microdelivery-exfoliating-wash?

Thank you my love. I'll check it out the Philosophy one in my nearest Sephora. I've never used a cleanser/exfoliant combo. I've only used an exfoliant with moisturizer combo like this : http://www.sephora.com/sugar-face-polish-P12295?skuId=562082
However, I think it's time for me to be a grownup and use a cleanser other than my soap.

• 2 weeks later...

I Love Nail Polish has their new fall collection up for pre-order (save a buck/polish). I have several of their polishes, and girls, it is some of the best polish I own. I've never had a problem with application or formula, and every single bottle has been seriously stunning.

Even their packaging is great! If you love gorgeous, unusual nail polish, I suggest you check out ILNP!

• 2 months later...

Holy shit. I don't even think I have bought one lipstick in the past couple of years. Oh wait, I bought a purple one for a Halloween costume last year and then didn't even use it. I would like just one nude / rose type shade I could use on the rare occasions I even remember lipstick is an option.

But this reminds me - I bought the Naked Smoky palette while I was in the states recently. Haven't even opened it yet. Must do some experimentation while I'm in my staying home phase. 

I might have a problem. This is after a purge a few months ago, even. Going to try all of them on, and get rid of any I don't like anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2E5WdZTpNN2Z2htZ1JWMUxUUnc/view?usp=sharing

:lol:  Now I don't feel so about the 5 I have in my purse for "daily" use 

Well, I only carry one or maybe two around with me at any one time, so it's not like I'm hauling the whole thing across NYC. Still, even after I purged that collection (got rid of 10), it's still kinda...intense. :blush:

But what can I say? I know that other people on this thread collect eyeshadow or skincare products or haircare products or nail polish. Ain't no shame in having a focus, even if it's one that is only shared by Elder Sister. :)

I refuse to be shamed by my collection of beauty aids.  I need 16 different red lipsticks.  They are important, and one makes me feel like Rita Hayworth, while another one channels the zaniness of Lucille Ball.

I shouldn't have to explain this stuff to y'all.  You're all extremely gorgeous, magnetic women.

Preach. I got so many different reds and berries...

Just checked my wallet.  Even though I can't fit both phone and cigarettes in there at the same time there's two tubes of red and a black cherry.  I keep the toast in my desk because that's a daytime shade.

Archived