[Book Spoilers] How many of the readers will continue watching this show after Season 5?

If TWOW isn't out before season 6 then I will not watch the show until it comes out. I think I can manage to avoid spoilers for less than a year until TWOW comes out. I want to atleast be able to read that book unspoiled. But after TWOW is out, I will watch the show again. There is no way I could avoid spoilers for 5+ years until ADOS came out, so I'm not even gonna bother to try.

Only if Stannis dies, not sure if thats a show criticism or just an indicator of my attention span

I would stop watching is something stupid like Brienne kills him. Kind of like the Harpy's killing Baristan which I'm 100% confident is not how he dies in TWOW.

To be honest the show is going to get so bad that the ending might not even resemble what George has in mind. The books will come out in 1-20 years and hopefully they make up for the show.

I'm definitely done. While I enjoy reading the forums here after the episodes, it's getting too boring to sit through the show.

I'm not worried about spoilers at all. Big stuff from GoT blew up on social media and was almost impossible to avoid--Ned's death, Red Wedding, etc. But that's all in the past. What's left? Could the GoT writers possibly come up with anything good in their new storylines that would shock and intrigue readers like Ned's death or the Red Wedding?

Already this season, I'm seeing a huge decrease in the number of GoT posts and memes from casual fans. I don't expect public interest to hold out much longer and given HBO's track record of cancelling shows, I don't expect GoT to finish.

Im going to keep watching. Id be fooling myself if i tried not to. However, i do not blame anyone for stopping here. I wont sneer at them if they have beefs. I no longer have faith in the writing team. I cant forgive what has happened and i dont blame anyone at all for wanting nothing more to do with it.

I stopped watching True Blood and Dexter because of how bad they got. This isn't even remotely close. I'd personally rate The Americans as the best show on television right now (that I actually watch), but after that, I'm not sure there's a whole lot that is better than this. It'd wildly inconsistent, but the peak moments are as good as anything.

I don't mind the spoilers. In fact, I watch in part for the spoilers. As much as I'd prefer to find out what happens by reading it, I also don't want to wait until 2024 to find out, and as good as the books are, they're not good enough to justify loyal readers having to wait 30 years to get the full story.

Hey guys, so as much as I am a big fan of the ASOIAF series, the show is ruining it for me with all the changes and the potential spoilers that I'm not quite sure I'm ready to continue watching it after Season 5.

Littlefinger's dick move to send the Vale army to Winterfell is a big potential spoiler for a move in the next books. If not, then whatever, but still.

Jaime and Bronn in Dorne is just so bad a move. What is going on there?

Don't even get me started on the Sansa storyline. Yes, Ramsey's move was predictable, but why Sansa!!?? I prefer great story telling over big shock value.

I'll stop my rant and ask you fellow book fans this question. How many of you are considering watching the show after Season 5, provided that the TWoW book won't be out by Season 6?

I just want to know I'm not alone in my current feelings for this show at the moment and would love some insights.

Well, the knights of the Vale heading to Winterfell was pretty much telegraphed in the books in the Sansa chapter where Harry the Heir first gets introduced. Granted the context of the Vale knights picking up the pieces after the Stannis/Bolton throwdown is different in the show since the Manderlys aren't also plotting to overthrow the Boltons and Freys, but it's a hardly a spoiler to book readers.

Not sure why marrying Sansa to Ramsey is a necessary step before taking out the winner of Stannis/Bolton, so we'll have to see if they come up with something lame or something good to explain that bit. I'm reserving judgement on the Sansa bedding scene until we can see if that marriage was actually important to Littlefinger's plot or if it was just gratuitous.

I can provisionally give D&D some benefit of the doubt. I hated that they killed off Selmy and kept Jorah alive, for example, but if it turns out that Jorah is patient zero for a grayscale outbreak in Mereen, then they made some economical changes.

As the OP, I wasn't arguing that the books and the show are two different mediums for story telling and should be viewed differently. It is expected to happen, as was seen in previous adaptations of other books to motion picture.

My point is us loyal readers don't know anything about where the books are heading other than hints and excerpts from the tWoW. So, it's a very tricky position to be in, especially when we find out a lot of things happening on the show that we wanted to know about in the books.

My biggest fear is that by following the show, things will divert so much and events that don't occur in the books will be imprinted into our memories that when we read the upcoming books, our expectations of what the real events are will measure poorly to the narratives of the upcoming stories.

In other words, I fear that the spoilers will make the reading experience mediocre at best.

I secretly hope that GRRM is toying with the fans and he is half finished with the TDoS with expectations to release it 2 years at least after tWoW, but I'm just a dreamer.

I agree with @UglyLittleGirl (can't quote on my PC for some reason).

In terms of spoilerage, forget the detail. There will be convergance on the Big Things. One of the interesting things - and this does spoil the books a bit - is that the show makes it clear which Things are, and are not, Big; and also the essential plot points.

For example, it seems quite clear that in both media the Vale will march on Winterfell and quite likely that Sansa will end up as some kind of Queen In The North. In the books, Sansa stays happy and with Harry The Heir; in the series, Sansa goes through a horrendous ordeal. But in both it seems likely that Stannis and Boltons beat each other to a pulp and the Vale can then sweep up the pieces, using Sansa's surname to unite the North behind the result.

And if fAegon was not f then he'd be in the show...

I'm convinced in the show that Stannis will beat Boltons but then get killed by Brienne, but I'm usually wrong on these things so let's see :-)

They won't "watch" it anymore. And then they will come on this website every week to talk about how much they hated the show they swore they weren't watching anymore.

And GRRM confirmed on his blog that both the show and books will have the same ending.

Already this season, I'm seeing a huge decrease in the number of GoT posts and memes from casual fans. I don't expect public interest to hold out much longer and given HBO's track record of cancelling shows, I don't expect GoT to finish.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There is absolutely no way in hell that GoT is cancelled before it ends. The only thing that has a chance of not being finished is the books.

I will keep watching. We knew this season was going to be the most different from the books going in. I accept that the TV show is an adaptation and thus a different animal from the books. In my opinion, for the most part, the TV series is well shot, well written, and well acted. I would like to know at least ONE Martin approved ending for the series, and frankly I don't expect the books to provide one for another ten years. So yes, I will keep watching, and generally enjoying, the TV series.

There is nothing more to be added here. Bring it on, D&D!

Archived