College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

Sanders 1988 season the real record setting season, not the bullshit being reported by these TZM, ESPN, pickaBC joke media stations of today. 

vs. Wyoming. WYOMING??? are you feckin serious?

And the Texas Tech game was played in Tokyo IS THAT EVEN A REAL PLACE??? Yeah, Tokyo.

(seriously, I had no idea a game was played in Tokyo. That's actually pretty rad.) 

Just to be clear I didnt mean to say McCaffrey was a poser, he's had a great year, maybe even Heisman worthy, but in no way shape or form is his season in the class of Sanders "88". 

Thats all I feel better now.....sigh.

MSU vs Iowa gotta a helluva defensive battle going in the Big Ten championship, a lot on the line in that final quarter.

We get another season of McCaffrey :)

But thankfully not another season of Hogan. 

Man, McCaffrey has like 460 yards today.  He's got to get it over the centaur from Alabama.  That would just be another Mark Ingraham award.  McCaffrey has like 3,500 all-purpose yards on the two-loss pac-12 team.  In a year with no stand-out, that has to be the winner.  Someone make a case if i'm wrong.

I think you're right, but I also think there is basically zero chance he gets it. C'est la vie.  Least we can go out and try to win a Rose Bowl.

Great play by the MSU running back, but ugh, feel bad for Iowa.

Wow dramatic last drive in that B10 championship game. It was fun to finally see Iowa they were tough to the last stand, Stanford vs Iowa for the Roses gonna be a great bowl game.

Go Sparty , I dont know who we draw between Ok, CrimsonT, or Clemson but we are just thrilled to be in the playoff and ready to go baby!

Go Sparty , I dont know who we draw between Ok, CrimsonT, or Clemson but we are just thrilled to be in the playoff and ready to go baby!

I'm thinking Clemson secured 1 and 'Bama 2. It all depends on how impressed the committee was with this win over Iowa. 

The Spartans have a close loss to 5-7 Nebraska, Oklahoma has a bad loss to 5-7 Texas, though Texas beating Baylor as well may give Oklahoma a small boost. Either way, you won't be seeing the Sooners in the first round.

So MSU vs Bama, Clemson vs OU.

Hard to make a prediction. I would say MSU, if Bama didn't have Derrick Henry. Nebraska beat MSU by giving the ball to their biggest running back (and a few lucky passes), and Henry is a beast. But if Cook is healthy by the time of the game... It'll be a good game.

The other one, again I don't know but that's just because I haven't seen much of either team. OU looks like they shook off that bad loss to Texas, and got progressively better.

My initial predictions: it's be Michigan St. vs Oklahoma for the national championship.

I think Alabama is far and away the worst team in the playoff, so I was hoping that's who OU drew.  Clemson would be my last choice, but still think OU has a really good shot. Definitely think the winner of that game is winning the whole thing though.

I think Alabama is far and away the worst team in the playoff, so I was hoping that's who OU drew.  Clemson would be my last choice, but still think OU has a really good shot. Definitely think the winner of that game is winning the whole thing though.

Alabama is going to straight up murder MSU. And Alabama matches up real well against Oklahoma too.

Alabama is going to straight up murder MSU. And Alabama matches up real well against Oklahoma too.

This is Saban's worst team since 2008. They haven't murdered anyone, so they certainly aren't going to murder Michigan State. That will be a low scoring grind of a game, and Michigan State has the significant advantage at quarterback. Mich State held an Ohio State team that is miles better offensively than Bama to 130 yards of offense.

And Alabama does not match up well with Oklahoma. They have giant linebackers who can't drop into coverage against OU's backs and receivers, but Mayfield is outrageously good against the blitz. OU can stack the box against Henry and not worry about that QB beating them.

This is Saban's worst team since 2008. They haven't murdered anyone, so they certainly aren't going to murder Michigan State. That will be a low scoring grind of a game, and Michigan State has the significant advantage at quarterback. Mich State held an Ohio State team that is miles better offensively than Bama to 130 yards of offense.

And Alabama does not match up well with Oklahoma. They have giant linebackers who can't drop into coverage against OU's backs and receivers, but Mayfield is outrageously good against the blitz. OU can stack the box against Henry and not worry about that QB beating them.

Alabama has been murdering teams most of the year. They killed Florida. They killed LSU. They killed Mississippi State. They killed Georgia. They killed Wisconsin. They've rarely played anyone close. Ole Miss was really the only thing remotely close to a competitive game, and that was with giving up 5 turnovers. The notion that they're not good is a fiction that is created entirely in your mind. Statistically they're as good as they've ever been save perhaps 2011. 

Connor Cook isn't better than Dak Prescott. He's not particularly that good, period. More importantly, MSU's offense needs to run the ball, and no one runs on Alabama. Michigan State's defense was phenomenal against Ohio State in a weird-ass game, but other than that they've been meh quite often - and they've not faced anything as good as Henry or the Alabama OLine (and yes, that includes OSU, which had weird plans around Elliot.

As to Alabama/OU - Mayfield is good, but the problem is that Alabama just stops people dead from running, and has done so all year. If Alabama stops OU from running they lose. That's how Texas beat them too, and that's a big problem. Alabama rarely blitzes; they don't need to. They didn't need to stack the box against Fournette - why do you think they'd stack it against Perrine? 

It's mostly that Sanders didn't return kicks. Getting about 150 yards of kick returns a game is not all that enlightening.

Mostly, McCaffrey isn't as good as Sanders, not remotely close. The comparison is at best statistically useful. 

It's mostly that Sanders didn't return kicks. Getting about 150 yards of kick returns a game is not all that enlightening.

Mostly, McCaffrey isn't as good as Sanders, not remotely close. The comparison is at best statistically useful. 

Fair enough.

Archived