Dogs

Quorra

38 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You can roll your eyes as much as you want. It won't stop what I said being true. 

LOL, making an absolutist assertion like any or all dogs can be trained to be completely obedient is not only absurd on its face, but also logically literally the easiest type of statement to falsify.

1 hour ago, Alarich II said:

So obviously, some dog breeds will be more prone to the whole "bolt and run after the critters" thing, but most breeds with a high hunting drive were also bred to work with humans which means that they can and should be well trained (there are of course some exceptions to this).

Yeah, my childhood dog was a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever.  So, she did have a heavy tendency towards "birdiness."  My mom had a bird bath in the backyard, so we actually always figured that was what she was going after rather than any land critters.  Of course, as a retriever she also obviously would have, ya know, retrieved the catch back to us rather than the..other unseemly things dogs do when they catch or kill things.  So, it probably would have gone more like this:

Of course, there's also variation.  Tollers are also supposed to love the water, and Penny was always terrified of it.  Tollers are also supposed to have a very high drive and Penny..did not, but that likely reflects her mimicking her owners.

As for the pitbull I mentioned, Roxy was the runt of the litter abandoned on the streets of Detroit.  While she was insanely well trained and obedient, there was obviously some trauma that could not be behavior modified by any dog whisperer.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

As I said, this is likely a cultural thing.

But your self-confessed amusement in allowing your dog to kill anything that happens to come into the garden, without any kind of rebuke is, to my limey snowflake ass, utterly fucking barbaric. 

We had the best dog ever, a Weimaraner/French Mastiff X with a wonderful personality. Looked like a Weim on steroids [110 lbs in her prime, got heavier later on] had the russet mastiff coloring and white blaze. Raised around kids, loving family dog, went to a fancy dog training school [I took her mostly, we both were trained I suppose] and Junebug had never shown any aggression toward other animals ever. 

Then one day some 60 - 70 lbs dog got a little in her face and Junebug hurt it pretty bad. The other dog lived thankfully, we paid for the vet bills because we're responsible pet owners. After that, Junebug got muzzled when we went to the offleash. Point being, your voice and/or training isn't going to make your dog not be the dog it is, unless you break it-- but then it's a different kind of dangerous [relatively]

You can tell covid is getting to people when they're fighting over stupid bullshit like this. Tywin isn't wrong, barely anyone bats an eye when cats present their trophies and hardly know better when they don't. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was amused by her self-amusement, and how proud she was of herself.

It was just a chipmunk. Man, if you get worked up about such a small thing, don't ever read your country's history. A bit more brutal, no?

Imagine how funny it would have been if someone had shot your dog and laughed. It was only a dog. What a joke!

Let's go back to the jump:

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

After a fairly long run/walk, Bailey killed a chipmunk. She was most proud of herself. I do always hate throwing the things in the garbage and there are little bunnies popping up everywhere, along with the baby squirrels. 

Good girl though. She really hunted it down. 

ETA: But now I get to go pick it up and toss it.

Read what I wrote. I said I hate having to throw the dead bodies away. Bailey's job is to guard her yard and the house, and a dog will be a dog. She is one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet, but she is a dog, and will do dog things, especially for a very large husky. Funny @DMC linked that video because Bailey is also very good at hitting low flying birds out of the sky, at least when she was younger.

Look, animals kill things. And people kill a lot more. Because we're animals too. This entire conversation has gotten ridiculous. I mean, we are all here because we enjoy books and/or a TV show where literally everyone is trying to kill one another. A dog killing a rodent is not much to bat an eye at in the grander scale of life. 

16 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Imagine how funny it would have been if someone had shot your dog and laughed. It was only a dog. What a joke!

Has the COVID threads not shown you that I'm a bit hot/cold on things? If someone shot my dog, I'd probably be stoic, try to breath, not instigate because the motherfucker has a gun, walk back to my place and decide if I'm going back with one of the hunting rifles or a shotgun. 

Damn shame the pistol is probably only good to throw at someone these days. I have been meaning to get a new one.

ETA: On second thought, absolutely the hunting rifle. The ROTC guys and gals were shocked that on my first try at the range I got a headshot at 400 yards. Dumb luck, but I know how to shoot. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let's go back to the jump:

Read what I wrote. I said I hate having to throw the dead bodies away. Bailey's job is to guard her yard and the house, and a dog will be a dog. She is one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet, but she is a dog, and will do dog things, especially for a very large husky. Funny @DMC linked that video because Bailey is also very good at hitting low flying birds out of the sky, at least when she was younger.

Look, animals kill things. And people kill a lot more. Because we're animals too. This entire conversation has gotten ridiculous. I mean, we are all here because we enjoy books and/or a TV show where literally everyone is trying to kill one another. A dog killing a rodent is not much to bat an eye at in the grander scale of life. 

In the grand scheme of life, nothing is much to bat an eye at. There's no particular need to give a shit about anything. At my lowest, I don't. But once one starts caring about something, that feeling can spread to more than that. Maybe one day it will for you too. 

TV/books do not equal reality. 

19 minutes ago, dog-days said:

In the grand scheme of life, nothing is much to bat an eye at. There's no particular need to give a shit about anything. At my lowest, I don't. But once one starts caring about something, that feeling can spread to more than that. Maybe one day it will for you too. 

TV/books do not equal reality. 

There's a clear difference between not giving a shit and not letting things hurt you. Work in politics. You'll learn the difference quickly. 

And yes, reality is much crueler than any book or show you've ever seen. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's a clear difference between not giving a shit and not letting things hurt you. Work in politics. You'll learn the difference quickly. 

And yes, reality is much crueler than any book or show you've ever seen. 

Thank you for your words of wisdom, O mighty one. Truly, I have not lived. 

So...anyone got any advice for keeping the pups cool pending their grooming appointment...

I think that "ice bath" is probably not the answer you're looking for?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

LOL, making an absolutist assertion like any or all dogs can be trained to be completely obedient is not only absurd on its face, but also logically literally the easiest type of statement to falsify.

Double LOL. Good job that's not what I said. 

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So...anyone got any advice for keeping the pups cool pending their grooming appointment...

Me and my brother have been spending the day pouring water on Kolo while the other massages it into her winter coat. 

Poor wee thing is roasting. 

Archived