Cricket 29: The Kings of Method Sledging

Xray the Enforcer

I just discovered that Beyond A Boundary is available on Kindle, so of course I bought it. I know we had this discussion before but my google-fu is failing me. What other books about cricket are a must-read? I'd love in particular a good book about bodyline, and any recommendations for authors that are a must-read. Also interested in any good books about WG Grace.

I just discovered that Beyond A Boundary is available on Kindle, so of course I bought it. I know we had this discussion before but my google-fu is failing me. What other books about cricket are a must-read? I'd love in particular a good book about bodyline, and any recommendations for authors that are a must-read. Also interested in any good books about WG Grace.

Check this Cricinfo article.

My favourite run-down history of the entire game is And God Created Cricket by Simon Hughes.  Not particularly topic-specific by its nature, though.

They may decide not to use it in India, considering they don't generally have trouble getting crowds (I think). But considering they probably get a cut of the profits made overseas, and day night tests were proposed primarily to improve ticket sales and viewership, they may agree to it.

They really had nothing to gain with the DRS. If anything, they'd probably have to spend money to bring the technology.

The pitch in the India vs SA looks pretty horrible for a third day . But its spinning a mile! Interesting to watch SA batters trying to survive :)

It was a good effort, but that first innings let us down too much. There goes our 9 year streak.

And that wasn't a 3rd day pitch, it was an 8th day pitch (Thanks Matthew Hayden for that!)

The pitches in this series have not been great with the surfaces on day 1 playing like a day 4 or 5 pitch and the fact that the highest innings total thus far has been 215 is telling. There is no point in complaining about the pitches though. The fact is our top 5 were simply not good enough and had no answer to Ashwin, Jadeja or Mishra. The biggest disappointments were Du Plessis and Amla, who are relied upon to be the bedrocks of the batting lineup who others can bat around. The two of them have been poor and as a result we consistently found ourselves three or four down with few runs on the board. I only hope that our top order have not played themselves out of form as there is a short turnaround time to the first Test against the Poms.

Hmm, yeah, not sure how that happened with Vincent and McCullum both saying he tapped them up to engage in spot fixing.

Anyway what did you guys think of the day night test? I was only able to catch a bit of it so it's hard to tell if conditions were changing significantly under the lights.

Well I guess reasonable doubt existed. Seems like the defence did a good job of getting into Juror's heads about how maybe what Cairns said and what people heard were different things. And that all the written / recorded evidence can be interpreted in an innocent way.

Ultimately this trial was about perjury not match / spot fixing. It seems like even if Cairns did engage in fixing it was in the context of a non-ICC sanctioned tournament, which means he's pretty much untouchable because that tournament organisation no longer exists, and the ICC has no jurisdiction, and it's probably not worth the Indian justice authorities pursuing anything independently. 

I hate to say it, but I tend to believe McCullum and Vincent over Cairns. But in the eyes of the law Cairns is innocent, and he might find it very difficult to have any sort of career on the non-playing side of cricket. It seems he's already been pretty well punished for any fixing he might have done, so perhaps one might conclude that if he is an unconvicted fixer karmic justice seems to have worked and the matter should be left to rest. And if he's not an unconvicted fixer then he's certainly suffered a great deal and he should be left to try to get on and repair his life.

I hated the day-night test, because NZ lost. But if they had won I would have loved it.

Hmm, yeah, not sure how that happened with Vincent and McCullum both saying he tapped them up to engage in spot fixing.

Anyway what did you guys think of the day night test? I was only able to catch a bit of it so it's hard to tell if conditions were changing significantly under the lights.

Didn't the ball change they pitched it a lot fuller and it would swing and do more tricks then Houdini.  Still was interesting to see I guess I was sorta hoping they would save it for the Sydney test what better way to start it with the breast cancer support then busting out the pink ball.
So not sure really though it does give the bowlers a chance instead of them bowling at a guy with a bat bigger then a tree stump 

Archived