What is Euron exactly?

Muffin King

He claims to have sailed Valyria and has no doubt dabbled in the occult. He is very ambitious and has lead an brilliant military expedition against the reach. I think he molested his own brother and potentially killed another, he is knowledgeable about dragons and obtained rare artifacts from across the world. So, what is Euron exactly? Just a fucked up genius, or is there something more to him?

An evil greenseer (1) who dabbles in every form of magic he can (2), who I imagine will be the next premier antagonist (3), taking over from Roose/Ramsay.

(1) He dreamed of flying as a child, the centrepiece of his flag is a giant red eye, and he surrounds himself with crow imagery (such as his name, the name of his eye, and his flag containing two crows). Seems to hint at experiences similar to Bran's, as well as some sort of contact with or knowledge of Bloodraven. It would also explain his reliance on mutes if he was capable of invading their minds and had no qualms about doing so (like a more evil, more competent version of Bran's experiments with Hodor). 

(2) Aside from whatever greenseer/skinchanging powers he may or may not have, he has captive warlocks on his ship, makes use of magical artifacts (like dragon eggs, or the dragon horn), makes use of Faceless Men, and not-so-mysteriously seems to benefit from the weather quite frequently (such as the storm that covered Balon's murder, and the unnatural winds that assisted the fleet's journey to the Mander). 

(3) Which is why I think he'll be a massive deal, aside from his general lunacy and massive ambition. Think what Stannis and Melisandre have worked - visions, assassins, weather magic - now imagine that same magic being used by someone with zero moral compunctions, whose only goal is to amass power or rule the world or w/e Euron is truly after. I wouldn't put it past him to use the Others or their magic if he felt himself capable (and of course he would). 

Additionally there are all the various dreams and prophecies hinting towards him, like Moqorro's vision of a tall, twisted shadow with ten arms and a black eye sailing on a sea of blood, as well as Dany's dream about the blue-lipped Hizdahr fucking her with an ice cold dick.

(3) Which is why I think he'll be a massive deal, aside from his general lunacy and massive ambition. Think what Stannis and Melisandre have worked - visions, assassins, weather magic - now imagine that same magic being used by someone with zero moral compunctions, whose only goal is to amass power or rule the world or w/e Euron is truly after. I wouldn't put it past him to use the Others or their magic if he felt himself capable (and of course he would). 

Exactly. This is why I think all those theories that Euron will die in Oldtown/the Reach are way off the mark. I could see him gaining a dragon, or even the Iron Throne for a brief period

An evil greenseer (1) who dabbles in every form of magic he can (2), who I imagine will be the next premier antagonist (3), taking over from Roose/Ramsay.

(2) Aside from whatever greenseer/skinchanging powers he may or may not have, he has captive warlocks on his ship, makes use of magical artifacts (like dragon eggs, or the dragon horn), makes use of Faceless Men, and not-so-mysteriously seems to benefit from the weather quite frequently (such as the storm that covered Balon's murder, and the unnatural winds that assisted the fleet's journey to the Mander). 

Wow good catch regarding Balon's storm. It made me suspicious while reading (I guess I was unsure whetever Euron really hired a faceless man or he summoned that storm to kill Balon), now it really makes sense.

Not sure if Euron is a greenseer but it seems possible. But I don't really want him to be one, two semi-gods are enough.

I like the idea he had a great potential to be a greenseer but he was rejected by BR or he don't have as much as power Bran does or lacking some skills needed for a greenseer.

I like the idea he had a great potential to be a greenseer but he was rejected by BR or he don't have as much as power Bran does or lacking some skills needed for a greenseer.

That's how I see it.  An example of BR's failed attempts.  Seems to fit in terms of Bran having to face off against a 'peer.'  If not Euron, who?  That is, if you accept the premise Bran is not going to be a servant of the Dark Lord.  Also aligns with his seemingly constant venture to accumulate and interact with other magical aspects within his reach.

You win the thread

:lol: well, it's true.

Euron is a son of a bitch, but he has some charismatic traits. He also is smart and even caring about his people. The whole "I always wonder if I could fly" thing is the work of a mind who seems to stop and think about life and mysteries. People here root for him.

Ramsay can barely write :dunno: And somehow, they have turned him into this AAR sort of guy who people wanted to defeat Stannis because

[spoiler]
Stannis burned his own daughter
[/spoiler]

Come on!

I think Euron kinda gets a bad rap, I personally don't think he's mad at all.

honestly he's the first Ironborn who isn't content with their shitty pile of rocks and wants more. Ambitious? yes. Crazy? nope.

Next he planned the only win in the Balons Rebellion, mad people generally make poor commanders...

IDK, I find it passing strange that a culture based on rape and plunder call a dude mad a couple of times and we nod and accept it as fact, I find 98% of the Ironborn more "mad" than Euron.
I will say, if something unspeakable happened to Damphair I will stand corrected

I think Euron kinda gets a bad rap, I personally don't think he's mad at all.

honestly he's the first Ironborn who isn't content with their shitty pile of rocks and wants more. Ambitious? yes. Crazy? nope.

Next he planned the only win in the Balons Rebellion, mad people generally make poor commanders...

IDK, I find it passing strange that a culture based on rape and plunder call a dude mad a couple of times and we nod and accept it as fact, I find 98% of the Ironborn more "mad" than Euron.
I will say, if something unspeakable happened to Damphair I will stand corrected

He definitely seems to be the most "thoughtful" of the IB we know (besides the Reader). I don't think he does bad for not conforming himself with simply having the leftovers of Westeros.

Problem is what he did to Aeron, and the mothers of his bastards. He could have done the same to Vic's wife and lie too.

I wouldn't put it past him to use the Others or their magic if he felt himself capable (and of course he would).

This worries me a bit, because it's a storyline that's been used so many times, and rarely turns out as well as you'd hope. After the eighth time you see the Master/Doctor Doom realize he's not really in control of the Daleks/Skrulls and has to run to the Doctor/the Avengers, it makes you long for the days when it was always some dupe like Tobias Vaughn instead of a supergenius superhuman making that mistake.

But only a bit, because if anyone can put a fresh spin on the idea, GRRM seems like a good candidate.

Archived